The Student Room Group

I really messed up - any help appreciated.

I already made an introduction thread- but again, I'm new(ish) to this place and I've actually been lingering around quite a bit. I've only just made an account and I really, REALLY wish I made one earlier to ask these things... But it's too late now.

So... my situation. I didn't get my grades.

I was intending on doing Software Engineering but overall, my points only add up to a measly 170 (140 if including just the A2 levels). I was at Sixth Form, and after my first year, I was only doing two A2 years, due to not being able to take anything else, so I had to substitute this with Citizenship and General Studies. Unfortunately, the course I was applying for required 160 from two A2 levels minimum, and then 200 overall.

I have quite a few questions and any help that anybody can give me is really appreciated.

After clearing yesterday, I had applied for a few places to do computing-related subjects (ideally for a year). I applied at Sheffield College, Chesterfield College, Doncaster College | University Centre and Leeds College.

Chesterfield College says that they will be a minimum of ten days to get back to me... ten days I really don't have- so they're likely out of the question. Leeds actually got back to me and the lady I spoke to (Julie Best, for those who happen to have been there?) was lovely and really informative. Doncaster is going to get back to me very soon, and as for Sheffield College, I don't really know...

My first question is... Am I going about this the right way? I really wanted to do my original course (Software Engineering) so now what I'm looking for is alternatives that'll give me the boost I need to my points to get in (can a foundation degree be combined with A2 UCAS points?). Ideally, I want to do a year course if possible, but I'm finding it really difficult to find a course I can even get on to that is this length (if anybody could provide any recommendations, I'd REALLY appreciate it).

For example, Leeds is a 3 year Foundation course. Whilst this could be a good thing, I don't want to be going to university three years down the line and spending 6/7 years in Higher Education. The course seems good but... I don't know. Has anybody studied at Leeds College? Hansforth campus. The overall Applied Computing course seems like it'd really help me down the line getting onto an even better course than what I'm currently wanting, but as I said... it's 3 years, and I don't know if I should commit to that.

And then I have the question of finance. I already applied for all of my student finance for the Software Engineering course here, in Sheffield, but now, I'm really nervous about what to do with this. If I was going to move to Leeds and do a Foundation course, would I still get maintenance grants and loans? Down the road, will I still be able to get loans/grants if I'm starting University at the age of 21?

If anybody's been in a similar situation before, what did you end up doing? How did it work out and is everything good now? I don't really have an overall question to ask. But if anybody reading this picks even only one point and clarifies it or answers it for me, you'd be helping me out a lot.

Thanks for your time!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boop227

Sorry that you did not get your grades

I think that you need to find out the exact nature of the courses/qualifications that you are looking at

As a 1 year course - have you considered redoing some of your A2 exams or taking some additional level 3 courses

If the Leeds course is a 3yr one then what does that give you - it is unlikely that it will only be level 3 so it may be something that can be "topped up" to a degree rather than needing another 3 years
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Sorry that you did not get your grades

I think that you need to find out the exact nature of the courses/qualifications that you are looking at

As a 1 year course - have you considered redoing some of your A2 exams or taking some additional level 3 courses

If the Leeds course is a 3yr one then what does that give you - it is unlikely that it will only be level 3 so it may be something that can be "topped up" to a degree rather than needing another 3 years

First and foremost, thank you for the response.

Redoing my A2 exams is unfortunately out of the question for me, as the results would potentially be even lower. In Y12, I was relatively lazy and getting D's and E's, then in Y13, I was getting B's and C's, evening my overall grades out at a C and a D, and the actual exam marks were very high (B and a few away from an A).

I haven't considered a level 3 course, though I will definitely look into that. Question: Is a level 3 course similar to AS and A2 subjects? The Applied Computing course at Leeds is a mixture of Level 4 and Level 5 (http://www.leedscitycollege.ac.uk/img/news/Course-Handbook-FdSc-Applied-Computing-2013-14.pdf).

Another question: Topping up basically means continuing the subject at a degree level, right?
Original post by Boop227
First and foremost, thank you for the response.

Redoing my A2 exams is unfortunately out of the question for me, as the results would potentially be even lower. In Y12, I was relatively lazy and getting D's and E's, then in Y13, I was getting B's and C's, evening my overall grades out at a C and a D, and the actual exam marks were very high (B and a few away from an A).

I haven't considered a level 3 course, though I will definitely look into that. Question: Is a level 3 course similar to AS and A2 subjects? The Applied Computing course at Leeds is a mixture of Level 4 and Level 5 (http://www.leedscitycollege.ac.uk/img/news/Course-Handbook-FdSc-Applied-Computing-2013-14.pdf).

Another question: Topping up basically means continuing the subject at a degree level, right?

Level 3 is A Level
A degree is level 6

So - the Leeds course might only require a 4th year to achieve a degree

If the course looks good the I suggest you call them back and ask for clarification regarding the qualification it gives and the follow on routes
Reply 4
Level 3 is A Level
A degree is level 6

So - the Leeds course might only require a 4th year to achieve a degree

If the course looks good the I suggest you call them back and ask for clarification regarding the qualification it gives and the follow on routes

I will definitely do that- I have a list of questions ready to send to the course leader who told me to contact her with any.

I'm also continuing to look for any courses that would be level 3 or level 4 that are only a year long and that I can utilize to begin a degree- any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you for your help!
Original post by Boop227
I will definitely do that- I have a list of questions ready to send to the course leader who told me to contact her with any.

I'm also continuing to look for any courses that would be level 3 or level 4 that are only a year long and that I can utilize to begin a degree- any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you for your help!

Given you feel that re-doing Y13 is not possible - starting a HND/or foundation course will probably be the best option

Do you need to stay in Yorkshire?
Reply 6
Given you feel that re-doing Y13 is not possible - starting a HND/or foundation course will probably be the best option

Do you need to stay in Yorkshire?

I don't /need/ to stay in Yorkshire per se- it's just a matter of convenience. Being close enough to come home on the weekends if I ever need to etc.

Would you mind letting me know what you feel the best option would be out of a foundation or HND course would be? I'm going to go research HND's a bit further.
Original post by Boop227
I don't /need/ to stay in Yorkshire per se- it's just a matter of convenience. Being close enough to come home on the weekends if I ever need to etc.

Would you mind letting me know what you feel the best option would be out of a foundation or HND course would be? I'm going to go research HND's a bit further.

Both are good options - you need to get something that interests you so look at different courses and make sure you find units that will enjoy

There are some software engineering/computing degrees that will accept you with your grades but I think the slightly slower routes you are considering sound like a good idea
Hi, at Bradford College University Centre we offer a course which might be suited to what you are looking for. We offer courses in HND Computing and Systems development, BSc Hons in Computing and Information Systems or Internet Applications or Computer Networks and System Support.

Our Computing courses have the highest student satisfaction rate in the region and focused on giving you the knowledge and experience to secure a good job after you've graduated.

If you want to speak to one of our clearing advisors or the tutors for the computing courses, we are here until 6pm today, call us on 01274 433444.

Bradford isn't too far away from Leeds (only a 20 minute drive away) so it is easily accessible for shopping and nights out etc, although Bradford has that too.
Reply 9
Do you mind if I ask why you left University? And thank you so much for that link, it looks like a really good course and I just got off of the phone with them. I may end up actually doing that course, as it does have a lot of relevant content.
Reply 11
Awh... Well that sucks, but I'm glad you managed to end up with something that you enjoyed!

And unfortunately, they want people to be 19 years old with 'life experience', they are hosting a clearing day on September the second, which makes things a little difficult for me. Particularly with what appears to be my best option at Leeds only being held for me until Monday. I'm really at a loss of what I should do... I don't want to take a year off because I'd likely not end up doing anything- but at the same time, it could be a realization to this hard punch in the eyeball that life's given me and get some experience for a good course, and apply again next year. I just feel like I've got no time and I really do want to go somewhere local like you recommended.
Original post by Boop227
Awh... Well that sucks, but I'm glad you managed to end up with something that you enjoyed!

And unfortunately, they want people to be 19 years old with 'life experience', they are hosting a clearing day on September the second, which makes things a little difficult for me. Particularly with what appears to be my best option at Leeds only being held for me until Monday. I'm really at a loss of what I should do... I don't want to take a year off because I'd likely not end up doing anything- but at the same time, it could be a realization to this hard punch in the eyeball that life's given me and get some experience for a good course, and apply again next year. I just feel like I've got no time and I really do want to go somewhere local like you recommended.

You do not really need an access course - you have results that will get you onto a course with your 2 A Levels

Why not have a look at http://www.whatuni.com - stick your grades in and look at what might be available - you can look at degrees or foundation degrees or HNDs
Original post by Boop227
I already made an introduction thread- but again, I'm new(ish) to this place and I've actually been lingering around quite a bit. I've only just made an account and I really, REALLY wish I made one earlier to ask these things... But it's too late now.

I was intending on doing Software Engineering but overall, my points only add up to a measly 170 (140 if including just the A2 levels). I was at Sixth Form, and after my first year, I was only doing two A2 years, due to not being able to take anything else, so I had to substitute this with Citizenship and General Studies. Unfortunately, the course I was applying for required 160 from two A2 levels minimum, and then 200 overall.

I have quite a few questions and any help that anybody can give me is really appreciated.

Age shouldn't matter.

After clearing yesterday, I had applied for a few places to do computing-related subjects (ideally for a year). I applied at Sheffield College, Chesterfield College, Doncaster College | University Centre and Leeds College.

Chesterfield College says that they will be a minimum of ten days to get back to me... ten days I really don't have- so they're likely out of the question. Leeds actually got back to me and the lady I spoke to (Julie Best, for those who happen to have been there?) was lovely and really informative. Doncaster is going to get back to me very soon, and as for Sheffield College, I don't really know...

My first question is... Am I going about this the right way? I really wanted to do my original course (Software Engineering) so now what I'm looking for is alternatives that'll give me the boost I need to my points to get in (can a foundation degree be combined with A2 UCAS points?). Ideally, I want to do a year course if possible, but I'm finding it really difficult to find a course I can even get on to that is this length (if anybody could provide any recommendations, I'd REALLY appreciate it).

For example, Leeds is a 3 year Foundation course. Whilst this could be a good thing, I don't want to be going to university three years down the line and spending 6/7 years in Higher Education. The course seems good but... I don't know. Has anybody studied at Leeds College? Hansforth campus. The overall Applied Computing course seems like it'd really help me down the line getting onto an even better course than what I'm currently wanting, but as I said... it's 3 years, and I don't know if I should commit to that.

And then I have the question of finance. I already applied for all of my student finance for the Software Engineering course here, in Sheffield, but now, I'm really nervous about what to do with this. If I was going to move to Leeds and do a Foundation course, would I still get maintenance grants and loans? Down the road, will I still be able to get loans/grants if I'm starting University at the age of 21?

If anybody's been in a similar situation before, what did you end up doing? How did it work out and is everything good now? I don't really have an overall question to ask. But if anybody reading this picks even only one point and clarifies it or answers it for me, you'd be helping me out a lot.

Thanks for your time!

If you don't get into the clearing courses you applied for...

There are extended degrees in engineering for university of Hertfordshire, however not for software engineering (I think its just a year extra like a foundation course)

http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/extended-degrees-in-engineering-initial-year its in clearing.. and you have enough points. Birmingham city university have foundation degrees in engineering in clearing too (its 200 ucas points but they still might take you in)..

http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/2014/undergraduate/software-engineering-bsc/course-details.aspx#tab5 also I found this course too...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Boop227

Thanks for your time!

Always remember,whatever you got, or will get in the future. Exams dont define your life,you dont need good grades to make something good out of your life.
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper.
:smile:
Reply 15
I'm not nineteen until February next year. They never explicitly told me that they wouldn't accept me, and they still told me to come down. The thing is- the clearing day isn't until September 2nd, and I have until Monday to decide whether I want this course at Leeds college... and to be honest, I really don't think I do.

I feel awful and have no idea what to do. My brother who's always helped me in situations like this is on holiday, and there's only so much information I can give and receive by text. Should I just accept the course at Leeds? Because at least then I have something to fall back on and still go to the clearing day on September 2nd? I really have no idea what to do and I hate this feeling. The course you linked me seems great and a lot more than a basic foundation course; which is why I'm scared that I won't be able to get onto it. What if I decline this offer at Leeds and don't manage to get in there? And then I have nothing. This sucks
Reply 16
Original post by German123
Always remember,whatever you got, or will get in the future. Exams dont define your life,you dont need good grades to make something good out of your life.
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper.
:smile:

I really do appreciate that, it's just that university has always been a goal and now with the chance of getting in being so slim, I don't know what other possibility there is for me other than going into a job until I'm retired
Reply 17
The campus is at Horsforth. From what you've said, I really think my best option is to try my damn hardest to get onto the course at Sheffield College, they're still shut until Monday unfortunately, so I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow and then let them know my situation. Leeds college and Bolton University have both given me the chance to wait until Monday before releasing my place, so I'll make sure to ring the College early and do what you've recommended. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending