The Student Room Group

I Got U's In A-level, Now Studying Astrophysics At a Top 50 Uni For Astrophysics AMA

The man, the myth, the legend is back for a short time only. I saw that TSR had since got an AMA section so I thought it would be a good time to host an AMA. Anyone who has been on TSR for longer than 2 years will know who I am.

I'm going into my 3rd year of university now so I can answer any questions about my a-level or university experience.

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations on paying a University £9000 to take you.
Reply 2
Original post by TunaTunnel
The man, the myth, the legend is back for a short time only. I saw that TSR had since got an AMA section so I thought it would be a good time to host an AMA. Anyone who has been on TSR for longer than 2 years will know who I am.

I'm going into my 3rd year of university now so I can answer any questions about my a-level or university experience.

I think i remember you, Durham guy isn't it.
I remember reading your story somewhere. Where can I find it again? :tongue:

Also, do you regret having not achieved what you have when you were 18?
Reply 4
Original post by kedstar99
Congratulations on paying a University £9000 to take you.

I only pay £3400 although I had agreed to pay £9000.
Reply 5
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I remember reading your story somewhere. Where can I find it again? :tongue:

Also, do you regret having not achieved what you have when you were 18?

A certain story can be found at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250

Its hard to say, I was never really an academic (and I cannot say I currently am). I was never pressured into doing my homework when I was younger nor did I revise for tests. I achieved grades that were average or as expected but I was seriously under prepared for A-levels. In essence yes, if I had the right mindset from a much younger age god knows else what I could have achieved.

It certainly is quite the inspirational story. I got a B at GCSE maths probably could have got an A. I couldn't do it at AS because my weakest area was algebra which was most of the course. Would it be possible to do AS maths and succeed in it? I don't really think I like maths and I know it's the hardest A level but part of me thinks Why not try to if I have to retake the year again. I want to do because I did want to do Physics as a degree at one point. Now I have no idea because I got an E at AS.
Why were you banned?
why do you feel the need to do an AMA thread?
Reply 9
Original post by HelpusPleasus
It certainly is quite the inspirational story. I got a B at GCSE maths probably could have got an A. I couldn't do it at AS because my weakest area was algebra which was most of the course. Would it be possible to do AS maths and succeed in it? I don't really think I like maths and I know it's the hardest A level but part of me thinks Why not try to if I have to retake the year again. I want to do because I did want to do Physics as a degree at one point. Now I have no idea because I got an E at AS.

Its hard for me to say. I went into A-level maths not know the majority of the course. I didnt know what factorising was, I didnt know what a graph coordinate system was (i.e x,y), I didnt know what a quadratic was. So I genuinely had no chance of doing well. The maths in my degree so far is completely fine, some parts are hard but generally they are the easier modules.
Reply 10
Original post by rayquaza17
Why were you banned?

I negged a lot of subs (so they saw I gave the neg rep) and as a result many of my posts got reported for minor issues and I got banned.
Reply 11
Original post by pseudonymegg
why do you feel the need to do an AMA thread?

I really only did it so I could be graced by one of your replies.
I negged a lot of subs (so they saw I gave the neg rep) and as a result many of my posts got reported for minor issues and I got banned.

:eek:

What are your plans for once you finish your degree? :smile:
Is there really 50 UNI's in the UK that do ASTROPHYSICS????? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by rayquaza17
:eek:

What are your plans for once you finish your degree? :smile:

Unsure, I dont think working a 'normal' job would suit me, i.e an office job. I'd get bored and end up craving something more.
Wow so strange I was just reading your old post about Foundation and Durham. Really inspiring stuff man, is the work load harder than before or are you good at handling it that you got use to working so hard. How old are you btw
Wow that really is inspiring!!! :smile: When you were told to drop physics were you annoyed because you love the subject? I've been advised to drop Spanish because I got a D at AS but it's my favourite subject, would you advise to drop it and concentrate on getting to uni and doing it at a night course or something? (I don't want to study it at uni, I just want to become fluent haha-Although I had thought of doing Spanish as a minor degree along with Eng lit)
What advice would you give to people who were in your position (i.e. facing failure)?

What was the main motivation to bounce back and do so well?
Reply 18
How are you finding the work at uni? Did you continue working really hard, and is it continuing to give you great results in a more competitive, and more challenging environment?
Reply 19
Original post by jonnyleaves
Wow so strange I was just reading your old post about Foundation and Durham. Really inspiring stuff man, is the work load harder than before or are you good at handling it that you got use to working so hard. How old are you btw

First year was okay, second year was not okay. The content (especially quantum mechanics) is significantly harder. If you fall behind it really ruins the rest of the course. Third year I have picked more lab based work however.

Quick Reply

Latest