The Student Room Group

I Got U's In A-level, Now Studying Astrophysics At a Top 50 Uni For Astrophysics AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zango11
Wow that really is inspiring!!! :smile: When you were told to drop physics were you annoyed because you love the subject? I've been advised to drop Spanish because I got a D at AS but it's my favourite subject, would you advise to drop it and concentrate on getting to uni and doing it at a night course or something? (I don't want to study it at uni, I just want to become fluent haha-Although I had thought of doing Spanish as a minor degree along with Eng lit)

Not at the time, it was really hard work. In a sense I just wanted to find something I could do well at. If you devote time efficiently and correctly you can do well, thats what I found. If you pour hours into ineffective revision the rewards will be minimal, its all about finding effective revision. Sadly the effective method for me no longer works.
Reply 21
Original post by HeavyTeddy
What advice would you give to people who were in your position (i.e. facing failure)?

What was the main motivation to bounce back and do so well?

Its really hard to get the right mentality when all you seem to know is failure. Going to Loughborough in a way cleaned the 'slate' for me and allowed a fresh start. I didnt go into Loughborough with the intention to get the best grades, I went in with the intention to try hard as I'd been given a chance to study something I was told I wouldnt be able to do.
Reply 22
Original post by adi19956
How are you finding the work at uni? Did you continue working really hard, and is it continuing to give you great results in a more competitive, and more challenging environment?

Second year is really hard. I'm not doing anywhere near as well as I did do comparatively at Loughborough. I probably spend too much time doing non-academic work and suffer from a lack of interest in my subject (though that is probably related to results).
Original post by TunaTunnel
Second year is really hard. I'm not doing anywhere near as well as I did do comparatively at Loughborough. I probably spend too much time doing non-academic work and suffer from a lack of interest in my subject (though that is probably related to results).

I remember reading your Durham thread whilst I was redoing my AS year. I also got a U in AS physics the first time round, i'm going to study chem eng at Manchester now though.
Reply 24
Original post by Table dust
I remember reading your Durham thread whilst I was redoing my AS year. I also got a U in AS physics the first time round, i'm going to study chem eng at Manchester now though.

I hope what I wrote somewhat inspired you!
Reply 25
I'm currently retaking my AS, any advice?
Not at the time, it was really hard work. In a sense I just wanted to find something I could do well at. If you devote time efficiently and correctly you can do well, thats what I found. If you pour hours into ineffective revision the rewards will be minimal, its all about finding effective revision. Sadly the effective method for me no longer works.

Do you feel that there is a point at which hard work can only take an individual so far, and strong natural ability starts to be a requirement after that? I ask since you say 2nd year is harder and you're no longer doing quite as well as before - that hard work alone doesn't seem quite enough?

Either way, you've done very very well. I commend you for your ethic and turning around your life.
The man, the myth, the legend is back for a short time only. I saw that TSR had since got an AMA section so I thought it would be a good time to host an AMA. Anyone who has been on TSR for longer than 2 years will know who I am.

I'm going into my 3rd year of university now so I can answer any questions about my a-level or university experience.

Know any masons?
Reply 28
Original post by mar junior
Know any masons?

I come from a family of Freemasons if thats what you mean.
Reply 29
Original post by kkboyk
I'm currently retaking my AS, any advice?

Find effective learning. Just because you spent 3 hours on a topic doesnt mean you understand it.
Reply 30
Original post by ClickItBack
Do you feel that there is a point at which hard work can only take an individual so far, and strong natural ability starts to be a requirement after that? I ask since you say 2nd year is harder and you're no longer doing quite as well as before - that hard work alone doesn't seem quite enough?

Either way, you've done very very well. I commend you for your ethic and turning around your life.

I doubt theres a point where you cannot pass without hard work alone with our university system, it rewards people who work hard natural ability just makes the speed at which you learn faster or ability to cope with new problems (which sometimes helps in exams). I probably dont work anywhere near as hard as I did at Loughborough, its hard to contineously keep that intensity up over one year let alone 5. If I really really wanted a high 2:1 or a first I probably could at a huge expense.
I have just read your story - AMAZING!
Reply 32
Find effective learning. Just because you spent 3 hours on a topic doesnt mean you understand it.

That's something I would struggle with. How did you find the right learning method for you?
Reply 33
Original post by kkboyk
That's something I would struggle with. How did you find the right learning method for you?

Lectures are a waste of time for me, I gain nothing from them even if I try. If I type the lecture notes after the lecture into a format I like I learn that way. Though that takes ~30 hours a week alone and didnt leave me much time to read them. As a results it doesnt really work at second year as the contents significantly harder to absorb.
Reply 34
I'm starting a similar foundation year this September - even though I did okay in my A-levels - they were in the wrong subjects and I want to do a medical science degree. I feel like I could have done better, but due to a lack of interest in the subjects, I found it hard to put my all into them. Any advice for someone who's starting a foundation year, any tips to get high grades and for someone who hasn't studied science since GCSE?
Reply 35
Original post by _jake_
I'm starting a similar foundation year this September - even though I did okay in my A-levels - they were in the wrong subjects and I want to do a medical science degree. I feel like I could have done better, but due to a lack of interest in the subjects, I found it hard to put my all into them. Any advice for someone who's starting a foundation year, any tips to get high grades and for someone who hasn't studied science since GCSE?

I had friends who hadnt studied maths/science and found those pretty hard, for someone who did maths/science it wasnt as bad. If you want high grades put a serious amount of effort in with all the work you do. Remember a lot of the work might be coursework based (which in my case was worse as I'd average less than 95% on the coursework resulting in grades dropping) so be prepared to spend a lot of time on that to make sure its the best.

Quick Reply

Latest