The Student Room Group

How much will be AS grades affect my uni offers?

At GCSE I got 5A*, 2A and 2B so when I got CCCC at AS I was really gutted. But I plan on making these higher next year, I'm retaking all of my AS exams along with my A2s. I am going to drop English so I'll be doing maths, chemistry and biology.

But I want to apply to Bath, Bristol and York. Will I maybe not get offers from these unis even though I plan to get at least AAB next year (with a LOT of hard work).
Reply 1
good luck on resitting all your exams! I got BCDD in my AS (media, french, sociology and history) but i'm resitting my media exam to get it to an A or B because i got 92/100 on my coursework and in french got nearly full marks on my speaking exam but i don't really know what happened in my writing/listening/reading ! You could just re sit some modules? and see what your predicted grades are
Original post by georgiesloane
At GCSE I got 5A*, 2A and 2B so when I got CCCC at AS I was really gutted. But I plan on making these higher next year, I'm retaking all of my AS exams along with my A2s. I am going to drop English so I'll be doing maths, chemistry and biology.

But I want to apply to Bath, Bristol and York. Will I maybe not get offers from these unis even though I plan to get at least AAB next year (with a LOT of hard work).

It depends almost entirely on what your teachers predict you. If you're only going to be predicted BBB and the course your applying for is AAB then you'll have a tough time of it
Original post by georgiesloane

I think retaking all your exams at the same time as A2 is a bad idea. If you can't cope with the workload, you may end up doing badly in all your exams. What were your individual UMS like? Are there any papers that you did particularly badly in? If there are, I suggest only retaking those and working really hard for your A2 exams.
As long as your teachers predict you AAB you can apply but it may be hard to convince your teachers and universities that an AAB prediction is realistic though.
Original post by Mindless Behavior
I think retaking all your exams at the same time as A2 is a bad idea. If you can't cope with the workload, you may end up doing badly in all your exams. What were your individual UMS like? Are there any papers that you did particularly badly in? If there are, I suggest only retaking those and working really hard for your A2 exams.
As long as your teachers predict you AAB you can apply but it may be hard to convince your teachers and universities that an AAB prediction is realistic though.

I really, really don't want to have to retake the year though. I don't think i could deal with that. Next year it turns into a free school so there will be about 20 people in a class whereas now there's only about 3. I know it will be a lot of work, but it will be doable. Also, in maths and biology you have to know all of your AS stuff anyway for A2 so it could be a good thing.
I don't know what to do:frown:
What does a forced gap year actually mean?
This sounds like something I will really have to consider to be honest. It's such a horrible situation. I tried so hard for my exams as we'll and I really didn't think they went that badly. Ugh:frown:
From experience, AS grades dont really play a part, uni's look more at predicted grades. Just push your tutors to raise them and they should as long as they're realistic.

Quick Reply

Latest