The Student Room Group

Why is Nandos so overrated?

Scroll to see replies

TGI is better than Nandos.
Overpriced fast food
It's cheaper than GBK and Pizza Express which are the only real alternatives (unless you count KFC and McDonald's). You also get served faster than at those places.
Original post by pane123
It can be reasonably healthy, yes.

It is not in any way reasonably healthy though. It might be slightly healthier than a bucket of kfc but it isn't reasonably healthy. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't eat it, but lets not pretend it's healthy when it isn't. Suggesting nandos is healthy based on it being slightly better than other chain food restaurants is like saying eating half a packet of butter is better than eating a whole pack thus half a pack is reasonably healthy.
Original post by Autistic Merit
It's cheaper than GBK and Pizza Express which are the only real alternatives (unless you count KFC and McDonald's). You also get served faster than at those places.

The only real alternatives? What about actual restaurants that aren't part of a multinational chain?
Nandos is pretty overrated, not really a fan of burnt chicken.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
It is not in any way reasonably healthy though. It might be slightly healthier than a bucket of kfc but it isn't reasonably healthy. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't eat it, but lets not pretend it's healthy when it isn't. Suggesting nandos is healthy based on it being slightly better than other chain food restaurants is like saying eating half a packet of butter is better than eating a whole pack thus half a pack is reasonably healthy.

So there is no combination of chicken/sides that you would call 'reasonably healthy'?
Original post by vickidc18
I hear lots of people going on about nandos like it's amazing & tastes so good. I tried it for the first time last year and it was like WTF? Chicken & chips that costs £10 per person It doesn't even taste that great, you can buy a bottle of peri peri sauce for like £1 and a chicken for £4 in the supermarket and you can feed 4 people, . Nandos is crap!!

I haven't eaten at Nandos and don't intend to. I have a lot of their sauces, which are quite good, and use them for homemade peri peri. At least you know what goes in it.
The only real alternatives? What about actual restaurants that aren't part of a multinational chain?

There aren't many of those around if you exclude Indian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Thai restaurants. Most pub restaurants these days are Wetherspoons, Brewers Fayre, Greene King etc.
Original post by pane123
So there is no combination of chicken/sides that you would call 'reasonably healthy'?

No.

Perhaps you and I have differing views on what is considered healthy, but certainly in my opinion it is in no way shape or form healthy. Certainly you can have it part of a healthy diet, but I would consider nandos indulgence not health food.

I see you're a fellow scot, I really hope your nutritional values aren't based on the same reasoning as many other scots. There's a reason why our nation is dying of obesity and heart problems. Perhaps our views on what is and isn't healthy is the cause.
Original post by Autistic Merit
There aren't many of those around if you exclude Indian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Thai restaurants. Most pub restaurants these days are Wetherspoons, Brewers Fayre, Greene King etc.

Maybe where you stay, but where I grew up and where I stay now there is an abundance of great restaurants with better prices and far better quality food.

I would never even consider going to pizza express over a family run italian pizzeria.
(edited 9 years ago)
No.

Perhaps you and I have differing views on what is considered healthy, but certainly in my opinion it is in no way shape or form healthy. Certainly you can have it part of a healthy diet, but I would consider nandos indulgence not health food.

I see you're a fellow scot, I really hope your nutritional values aren't based on the same reasoning as many other scots. There's a reason why our nation is dying of obesity and heart problems. Perhaps our views on what is and isn't healthy is the cause.

I will concede that I don't know about sodium or sugar content of Nando's dishes, but I fail to see how skinless chicken, ratatouille and luso beans could not be classed as 'reasonably healthy'.
Maybe where you stay, but where I grew up and where I stay now there is an abundance of great restaurants with better prices and far better quality food.

I would never even consider going to pizza express over a family run italian pizzeria.

That's a complete fantasy for me! We have Prezzo, Pizza Hut, Ask, Bella Italia, Pizza Express, Zizzi, Jamie's Italian, Strada, Frankie & Benny's but nothing authentic!
Original post by xmertic
I've never been and have only been somewhat interested in it once. Glad it's not all that good :smile: Oriental buffets are sooo much better, like £7 for all you can eat heaven :P

Oriental buffets make me feel sick.

Nandos is very overpriced buuuutt I love the Mango and lime sauce and they're the only place I know of that puts a pineapple in their burger, and to me that is divine :coma:

Not that I can have their chicken anymore, not until it's free range anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
because it get hype from celebrities, the infamous Nandos black card. Heard the song by Example?
Original post by TolerantBeing
Oriental buffets make me feel sick.

Nandos is very overpriced buuuutt I love the Mango and lime sauce and they're the only place I know of that puts a pineapple in their burger, and to me that is divine :coma:

That just doesn't sound nice for me :frown: pineapple's don't belong in burgers :nah: they belong on fruit platters.

You mustn't have been to any good oriental buffets then :smile:
I wonder what hormones are fed to their cheap battery chickens which they sell at ten times the price they're bought for........same goes for kfc, mcdonalds etc.
Original post by pane123
I will concede that I don't know about sodium or sugar content of Nando's dishes, but I fail to see how skinless chicken, ratatouille and luso beans could not be classed as 'reasonably healthy'.

Yeah skinless chicken and beans is fine, in the same way a salad is fine. It's what you put on it that makes it unhealthy. A nandos salad for example can have up to 600+ calories and 3.5 grams of salt. It turns a nutritional dish into a not so healthy dish.

Unfortunately many people aren't aware what goes into the food they buy, so what on the face of it seems like a healthy option, turns out to be not healthy at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've never been to Nandos even though there is one in a city that I can get a train to from my town. There is one coming to my town soon so I might try it to see what the hype is all about and to see if I like it.
Wow the hate in this thread is outstanding

I like nandos, I think their food tastes really good and I like the way they do their ordering and stuff. I've never once had a bad experience there and I can't wait to go again :biggrin: (though I have friends who go every weekend.. that I admit is ridiculous)

Quick Reply

Latest