The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wojtek97
Congratulations to all those who have made their offers, I hope your A2s went well too. I am the first one to apply to uni and don't have an older sibling at uni to talk to therefore I thought I'd reach out for your help.

I would love to apply to the top unis to study Economics. My GCSEs weren't the best : 2A* 6A 4B, however I came from a very average state school. I have done my ASs hoping to get AAAAB (B in Critical Thinking). I am also starting my EPQ project. I have a good extra curricular list, read a lot on Economics and attend Lectures.

What UNIs might want to look at my application baring in mind i get the ASs and do well on EPQ and have a good Personal statement?

You can pretty much apply to anywhere. If your UMS are >90 at an average then you might want to consider LSE and Cambridge.
Reply 3381
I am looking to study Economics at university. I have achieved 7A* 3A at GCSE, and i reckon that i will be predicted A* A* A A, at A level. A's being in maths and further maths, and A*'s being in physics and economics. What are the best universities that i can hope for, that will accept me with these grades?

A level maths -90 ums but no A* (my average between c3 and c4 was not 90), will be predicted an A in further maths for next year as i achieved an A in maths in this year
as level economics- 100ums
as physics - 92ums
Original post by zhytan
I am looking to study Economics at university. I have achieved 7A* 3A at GCSE, and i reckon that i will be predicted A* A* A A, at A level. A's being in maths and further maths, and A*'s being in physics and economics. What are the best universities that i can hope for, that will accept me with these grades?

A level maths -90 ums but no A* (my average between c3 and c4 was not 90), will be predicted an A in further maths for next year as i achieved an A in maths in this year
as level economics- 100ums
as physics - 92ums

Good enough for any university. But, do check with Admissions Officer for those universities like LSE which may be asking for A* for Maths. Don't assume those grade criteria are cast in stone. Worth just asking before you write them off. Admissions Officer name and email usually provided for such queries.
Reply 3383
Heyy guys!!
Offer from QMUL for Economics and Finance and offer from Nottingham for Economics and International Economics! Need to choose!! Any help will be much appreciated!
Original post by ABF3
Heyy guys!!
Offer from QMUL for Economics and Finance and offer from Nottingham for Economics and International Economics! Need to choose!! Any help will be much appreciated!

Nottingham would be my choice because I've been QMUL open day and to be honest it's pretty ****. Job prospects I imagine would be the same so it's up to you to decide which course/place you like better.
(edited 9 years ago)
QMUL is moving up quickly in rankings ….. i believe ….. it that matters.
Ii
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, my gap year is nearly over and I applied for a course and I no longer think I want to do it. Instead, I would like to apply for economics.
I got A*A*A in my a levels (Maths,bio,chem) and 6A*s5As at GCSE. In maths I got 100/100 in C3 and C4 if that makes a difference.
I was just wondering if the fact that I applied to a different course last year will make a difference?
Also, bearing my strange application, where do you think I could apply and realistically get a place?
Original post by alevelzzz
Hi, my gap year is nearly over and I applied for a course and I no longer think I want to do it. Instead, I would like to apply for economics.
I got A*A*A in my a levels (Maths,bio,chem) and 6A*s5As at GCSE. In maths I got 100/100 in C3 and C4 if that makes a difference.
I was just wondering if the fact that I applied to a different course last year will make a difference?
Also, bearing my strange application, where do you think I could apply and realistically get a place?

I'd say pretty much everywhere bar Oxbridge as I remember reading that they expect 3 A*s for a gap year applicant although still worth the punt for 1 choice. Just make sure you do something good on the gap year and you should be fine :smile: and no it won't make a difference.
Original post by Dilzo999
I'd say pretty much everywhere bar Oxbridge as I remember reading that they expect 3 A*s for a gap year applicant although still worth the punt for 1 choice. Just make sure you do something good on the gap year and you should be fine :smile: and no it won't make a difference.

So would LSE/UCL be an option? And why wouldn't oxbridge?
So would LSE/UCL be an option? And why wouldn't oxbridge?

Yeah, but Oxbridge typically want 3 A*s for a gap year applicant yet you have A*A*A, still there's a chance.
Original post by Dilzo999
Yeah, but Oxbridge typically want 3 A*s for a gap year applicant yet you have A*A*A, still there's a chance.

Why would a gap year applicant need higher grades than a school leaver? Seems illogical
Why would a gap year applicant need higher grades than a school leaver? Seems illogical

The grades you need for Oxbridge are beyond what the entry requirements are. Only those deemed capable of getting many A*s will get an offer. You might as well give it a go.
Did everyone get the grades they needed yesterday?
Original post by Bloxorus

I was expecting AAB and to do Industrial Economics at nottingham. Got A*AA and switched to Economics BSc :biggrin:
you?

Yes!! Really relieved, bring on LSE! :biggrin: hbu?
Original post by Alex-Torres
I was expecting AAB and to do Industrial Economics at nottingham. Got A*AA and switched to Economics BSc :biggrin:
you?

Original post by leinad2012
Yes!! Really relieved, bring on LSE! :biggrin: hbu?

Awesome!!

I got A*A*AA and I'm off to UCL! :biggrin:
Awesome!!

I got A*A*AA and I'm off to UCL! :biggrin:

Nice!! I'm in intercollegiate halls, so will probably meet loads of people going to UCL :biggrin:
Original post by leinad2012
Nice!! I'm in intercollegiate halls, so will probably meet loads of people going to UCL :biggrin:

Great! I still haven't heard anything from UCL regarding accomodation and apparently some people have to wait up until september to hear :eek:

But anyway, I'm so excited now! Good luck at LSE!
Great! I still haven't heard anything from UCL regarding accomodation and apparently some people have to wait up until september to hear :eek:

But anyway, I'm so excited now! Good luck at LSE!

It's SOOO expensive, good luck at UCL too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending