The Student Room Group

Is uni of bham a target?

I'm getting scared that my uni might not even be one so I'm thinking if I should consider a new career path. I'm very interested in deutsche

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cooldudeman
I'm getting scared that my uni might not even be one so I'm thinking if I should consider a new career path. I'm very interested in deutsche

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I visited they made a big point about the fact that DB has some sort of trading floor in Birmingham, and that DB frequently recruit Brum graduates. Other than that, I wouldn't know. My philosophy is that if you work hard enough and can get yourself through to an interview stage, really, if you are the better candidate, they're not going to just flat out reject you because of your uni. That being said, the point that is frequently made on here is that going to a so called 'non target' might make getting through to the interview stage harder.
I'd call it a semi-target so it wouldn't rule you out but wouldn't make your app stronger if that makes sense :smile:
It's not a target. Targets are Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL and Imperial.

That's not to say it's unheard of to make it from Birmingham. It's generally regarded as a semi-target. Which really by definition means it's a non-target but a handful can make it in if you try hard enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Pro Crastination
When I visited they made a big point about the fact that DB has some sort of trading floor in Birmingham, and that DB frequently recruit Brum graduates. Other than that, I wouldn't know. My philosophy is that if you work hard enough and can get yourself through to an interview stage, really, if you are the better candidate, they're not going to just flat out reject you because of your uni. That being said, the point that is frequently made on here is that going to a so called 'non target' might make getting through to the interview stage harder.

This is exactly what it's all about. Of course being at a target is a bonus, but not being at one doesn't eliminate the possibility of getting into IB, as long as you work hard obviously.
Original post by iCreptio
This is exactly what it's all about. Of course being at a target is a bonus, but not being at one doesn't eliminate the possibility of getting into IB, as long as you work hard obviously.

I hope it's the case. I mean, let's be honest. We all know for a fact that most Oxbridge/LSE types tend to be highly motivated, goal-oriented individuals. By comparison, a decent proportion of people from lesser universities may be intelligent but are perhaps not as driven to the same degree. It would follow that a smaller proportion of the latter would be willing to put in the time and effort to piece together a solid resume or properly prepare for competency-based interviews and so forth. Hence, a large chunk of those recruited will be coming from the former types of universities, as a good proportion of their applicants will have the requisite skills and experience to gain the positions.

From what I have experienced so far (Credit Suisse application/interview), I know that the recruitment process even for spring weeks and brief internships exists to suss out the very best from a large body of applicants. Yes, if they have thousands to get through they may throw out those applying from bad universities automatically (bad as in those outside of the top 20/30), but if they are willing to commit so much time and effort into their recruitment, it doesn't to me really follow that they'd just throw out all of the applicants from Durham, UCL, Warwick, Bath etc. I hope that this logic applies to the wider RG, as I know there will be very bright and very driven people at universities such as Birmingham also.

I guess all we can be is proactive. I'm building applications for spring weeks at Credit Suisse and Blackrock at the moment. I'm hoping to find something in fixed-income as sales and trading (S&T) just doesn't suit my personality type: I'm more interested in making calculated decisions, rather than fast-paced speculating - I'm sure there's a lot more to S&T btw, haha. I'm also looking at the likes of JP Morgan - I have a friend who is doing a couple of weeks there this summer (we're going to the same uni to do the same course) - and Goldman Sachs. However, I should probably consider smaller, more boutiquey outfits also - finding out about those kind of placements will probably be difficult though: one senses that it's in situations like that that LSE students with an ear to the ground will most certainly have advantages.

Good luck! Find some sort of placement/insight at a solid firm in your first year and you'll be on your way!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by will2348

That's not to say it's unheard of to make it from Birmingham. It's generally regarded as a semi-target. Which really by definition means it's a non-target but a handful can make it in if you try hard enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by florencebunny
I'd call it a semi-target so it wouldn't rule you out but wouldn't make your app stronger if that makes sense :smile:

Birmingham is not a semi-target. Hasn't been one year where it's got enough people in to say going to Birmingham yields any advantage over any other uni.

Semi-target group is harder to define than the 6 targets, but would say it definitely includes Durham, Bristol, Notts, Bath, KCL, and possibly York & Manchester.

Manchester gets statistically significant numbers in but it's hard to say if that's a factor of recruiters exhibiting a bias to the uni, or just the sheer fact that it has double the number of students of the average uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by will2348

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im interested in getting into, or at least learning about, a career in ib. Resources on the web seem to be widely scattered: where can I find one source to get all my information (about everything to do with ib)?
Original post by MAINE.
Birmingham is not a semi-target. Hasn't been one year where it's got enough people in to say going to Birmingham yields any advantage over any other uni.

Semi-target group is harder to define than the 6 targets, but would say it definitely includes Durham, Bristol, Notts, Bath, KCL, and possibly York & Manchester.

Manchester gets statistically significant numbers in but it's hard to say if that's a factor of recruiters exhibiting a bias to the uni, or just the sheer fact that it has double the number of students of the average uni.

Your sentences doesn't make sense on the your first paragraph...
Reply 9
Original post by Alex-Torres
Im interested in getting into, or at least learning about, a career in ib. Resources on the web seem to be widely scattered: where can I find one source to get all my information (about everything to do with ib)?

There's a new upcoming site, PM'd you the link.
Original post by Szmessh
There's a new upcoming site, PM'd you the link.

Oh me too please :biggrin:.
Reply 11
Original post by Dilzo999
Oh me too please :biggrin:.

You got it!
Reply 12
Original post by Szmessh
You got it!

Hello! Could you please send me the link as well? Thanks :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by mimigor
Hello! Could you please send me the link as well? Thanks :smile:

Haha you got it too, anyway if you guys found the site useful it I'd welcome a vouch here.
Original post by Szmessh
You got it!

Why not just post the link here, instead of PM'ing it to everyone who asks?
Reply 15
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Why not just post the link here, instead of PM'ing it to everyone who asks?

can't, it's a competitor to the TSR Banking section
Original post by Szmessh
can't, it's a competitor to the TSR Banking section

Ah, right. Can you send it my way, please?
Reply 17
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Ah, right. Can you send it my way, please?

Done
Original post by Szmessh
Done

And this way please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, but its not unheard of students from Birmingham getting in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending