The Student Room Group

Why is Nandos so overrated?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Autistic Merit
That's a complete fantasy for me! We have Prezzo, Pizza Hut, Ask, Bella Italia, Pizza Express, Zizzi, Jamie's Italian, Strada, Frankie & Benny's but nothing authentic!

I feel your pain.

Jamies italian can be decent though dependent on the restaurant. It is a chain but it depends on who is the head chef at each individual one.
The chicken is a bit dry as well
Original post by xmertic
That just doesn't sound nice for me :frown: pineapple's don't belong in burgers :nah: they belong on fruit platters.

You mustn't have been to any good oriental buffets then :smile:

The only buffets I can imagine being that cheap and tasty must be ones in Chinatown? My local oriental buffet is like £12 and the worst "Chinese" food I've ever had. I've had better from a grotty take away. That's just my personal experience though, I'm sure there's better! I just feel like they tend to prioritise quantity over quality.

Ahh see, fruit with a main is delicious. The pineapple is so juicy and sweet against the slightly spicy chicken. :coma:
Original post by SandmanMMA
I wonder what hormones are fed to their cheap battery chickens which they sell at ten times the price they're bought for........same goes for kfc, mcdonalds etc.

I know I just don't see why they can't use free range chickens, they are a fair bit more expensive than the likes of KFC.
Reply 44
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
It really isn't healthy at all though is it. If you like eating it then fine, everyone loves indulgence food. But don't pretend nandos is a "healthy" option because it definitely isn't. The amount of salt alone in each meal makes in unhealthy never mind everything else.

Personally I find nandos to be as crap as every other over priced franchised restaurant.
Every restaurant is overpriced, compared to what you can have at home. That's why it's called a restaurant.
Original post by TolerantBeing
The only buffets I can imagine being that cheap and tasty must be ones in Chinatown? My local oriental buffet is like £12 and the worst "Chinese" food I've ever had. I've had better from a grotty take away. That's just my personal experience though, I'm sure there's better! I just feel like they tend to prioritise quantity over quality.

Ahh see, fruit with a main is delicious. The pineapple is so juicy and sweet against the slightly spicy chicken. :coma:

The one in my city is amazing! Like I said, £7 and it's just the bomb :smile: I love it :biggrin: But ofc it's too expensive to go to regularly :/

Each to their own! But it's a combo which doesn't seem that good for me >< :P
I went to Nandos last week and it cost me £12 for a burger, chips, corn on the cob and unlimited refills for my drink.

Now will one of you posters who claim it's overpriced tell me where I can find an 'authentic italian restaurant' that is cheaper :rolleyes:

I eat out a lot, Nandos for me is where I might go for a cheap lunch while I'm shopping, me and my girlfriend don't go there on dates. When we go to authentic restaurants that aren't 'overpriced chains' we spend at least £25 on food, of course it's nicer but it's also twice the price.

****ing hipsters
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Namige
Every restaurant is overpriced, compared to what you can have at home. That's why it's called a restaurant.

Every **** chain restaurant. If you go to a proper restaurant where the chefs are trained to cook quality cuisine then you arguably you pay for the skill of the chef to cook a dish that you couldn't make to the same standard at home.

In places like italy and france, the restaurants only really make local cuisine which is the same stuff people generally eat everyday. The difference is, it is much better in the restaurant than it is at home because the chef is well trained.

That's the difference between the uk and the rest of europe. Yes unlike europeans we have a wide variety of restaurants to choose from in terms of cuisine i.e. you can eat foods from all around the world. But in many of these restaurants especially chains like nandos the quality is piss poor. Hence why these places don't fair well in Mediterranean countries.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48
Nandos was good about 10 years ago when the prices were about 40% lower. What I could get for £13 now costs £20.

If I go in there now I just kick myself for paying £60 (to feed me and my siblings) for chicken and chips that is only marginally better than what I can get at a local fried chicken joint plus a bottle of peri-peri sauce. I could probably get that for just over a third of the price.
All food in restaurants is overpriced.

While i'm not fond of the 'self service' style of ordering in a restaurant, it's a good alternative if you are looking to eat out but still have a reasonably healthy meal, since it is just grilled chicken and hot sauce.
Its a teenage restaurant for groups teenagers who aren't old enough to eat in pubs. If you reach 18 and haven't figured out its a complete rip-off, then you should be ashamed.
Weekly 'Nando's is overrated' thread.

My standard response: Nando's is neither amazing nor terrible. It's nice spicy chicken and chips. It's more expensive than fast food and cheaper than a normal restaurant, which is perfectly reasonable. Because of where it's priced, it's obviously going to be popular with students. I don't understand the controversy.

Original post by manchesterunited15
hipsters gonna hipster

Pretty much, I guess.
Original post by Conzy210
I went to Nandos last week and it cost me £12 for a burger, chips, corn on the cob and unlimited refills for my drink.

Now will one of you posters who claim it's overpriced tell me where I can find an 'authentic italian restaurant' that is cheaper :rolleyes:

I eat out a lot, Nandos for me is where I might go for a cheap lunch while I'm shopping, me and my girlfriend don't go there on dates. When we go to authentic restaurants that aren't 'overpriced chains' we spend at least £25 on food, of course it's nicer but it's also twice the price.

fkn hipsters

There we go. I found a sensible post.

I think £12 is exactly what I paid in there last time, for a half chicken, chips, and soft drinks. I ate out and left full and hydrated, paying only £12. Doesn't seem overpriced to me.
Unlimited soft drinks though...
Original post by TimmonaPortella
There we go. I found a sensible post.

I think £12 is exactly what I paid in there last time, for a half chicken, chips, and soft drinks. I ate out and left full and hydrated, paying only £12. Doesn't seem overpriced to me.

Baffling what some people seem to expect for their money to be quite honest.
I've only been a few times and it's been nice every time. Nothing special, but nothing to complain about really.
Original post by Autistic Merit
That's a complete fantasy for me! We have Prezzo, Pizza Hut, Ask, Bella Italia, Pizza Express, Zizzi, Jamie's Italian, Strada, Frankie & Benny's but nothing authentic!

I've heard terrible things about Jamie's Italian.

Where is the weekly 'Frankie and Benny's is ****' thread? That genuinely is terribly overpriced and just bad. A lot of the mains are in the £15 region, with the steaks reaching £20 iirc. That's getting on for what I'd call normal restaurant prices, which would be fine if the food was of restaurant standard, but it isn't. Last time I went there I paid £15 for a small plate of chicken and chips with a bit of cheese and barbecue sauce on it (which wasn't what I ordered, but let's not get on to the service). I left hungry, about £20 down with drinks, having had a genuinely crap meal. It's not even comparable to Nando's in terms of quality and value.
It's honestly hard for me to have an opinion on it... I've been maybe once when I was eight, and it seems to be chicken-based, which I have no issue with, barring that I'm vegetarian. I dunno, it does seem extremely expensive, though their sauces I find nice.

Where is the weekly 'Frankie and Benny's is ****' thread? That genuinely is terribly overpriced and just bad. A lot of the mains are in the £15 region, with the steaks reaching £20 iirc. That's getting on for what I'd call normal restaurant prices, which would be fine if the food was of restaurant standard, but it isn't. Last time I went there I paid £15 for a small plate of chicken and chips with a bit of cheese and barbecue sauce on it (which wasn't what I ordered, but let's not get on to the service). I left hungry, about £20 down with drinks, having had a genuinely crap meal. It's not even comparable to Nando's in terms of quality and value.

I think the king of rip-offs is Chiquito. The cheapest drink in there is £4 and the main courses are usually about £15 but fill you up about as much as a starter does.

I've gotta say, I do love Frankie and Benny's... I dunno, something about it just makes me happy. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest