The Student Room Group

AS results - can I still apply for my course ?

Okay dissapointed in my AS results, mainly because I was considering applying oxford for economics and history.my grades were : AABB A* (a* for maths a level as I'm doing further). My A's were in maths and english

The issue is my b's were in economics and history and they came as quite a shock to me as I was almost definitely sure of an A especially in economics. It's still the course I want to apply for, can I still do so? I don't want to be at a disadvantage applying to oxford and elsewhere - honestly is there any point for oxford and is my course still OK for elsewhere?

Thanks ppl

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You have 5 choices, I'd still encourage you to apply as you're only 1 grade off in two subjects and your teachers can realistically predict you straight A grades.
Original post by Milalilsaustin
Okay dissapointed in my AS results, mainly because I was considering applying oxford for economics and history.my grades were : AABB A* (a* for maths a level as I'm doing further). My A's were in maths and english

The issue is my b's were in economics and history and they came as quite a shock to me as I was almost definitely sure of an A especially in economics. It's still the course I want to apply for, can I still do so? I don't want to be at a disadvantage applying to oxford and elsewhere - honestly is there any point for oxford and is my course still OK for elsewhere?

Thanks ppl

Firstly can I point out that your A Level in Maths means that you do not have an AS in maths

So you have A*abb

Speak to your school and see what they are likely to predict - if you are looking at A or A* prediction for FM plus A or A* prediction for Economics (assuming that was a strong B) then you can certainly apply for high end universities

What are your GCSEs - 7 or more A/A* grades there will support your application
How close were you to A's in economics and history? Is it worth a remark?
Original post by TenOfThem
Firstly can I point out that your A Level in Maths means that you do not have an AS in maths

So you have A*abb

Speak to your school and see what they are likely to predict - if you are looking at A or A* prediction for FM plus A or A* prediction for Economics (assuming that was a strong B) then you can certainly apply for high end universities

What are your GCSEs - 7 or more A/A* grades there will support your application

Wait I'm confused.. I did all theAS and A2,modules so surely I have an AS grade too?

I got 9a* 2a at GCSE, and already have a Chinese AS grade A too. Economics B was high 2ums off. Econ teacher is now probably going to predict me an A and my history teacher originally predicted me a/b and said it will not get lower (but I'm screwed if she predicts B?!) F maths who knows a or a* I suspect. But I am concerned with my AS results along with predicted grades - what kind of weighting do universities apply to these when looking at applications?
Original post by ageshallnot
How close were you to A's in economics and history? Is it worth a remark?

Already in for one - fingers crossed!! 2 ums away from economics and 5 for history - possible? I felt both went a lot better but then what do I know ey? :smile:
Original post by Farseer
You have 5 choices, I'd still encourage you to apply as you're only 1 grade off in two subjects and your teachers can realistically predict you straight A grades.

OK, but is oxford a bit too ambitious now?
Wait I'm confused.. I did all theAS and A2,modules so surely I have an AS grade too?

I got 9a* 2a at GCSE, and already have a Chinese AS grade A too. Economics B was high 2ums off. Econ teacher is now probably going to predict me an A and my history teacher originally predicted me a/b and said it will not get lower (but I'm screwed if she predicts B?!) F maths who knows a or a* I suspect. But I am concerned with my AS results along with predicted grades - what kind of weighting do universities apply to these when looking at applications?

From what I read Oxford will like those GCSE grades and will look at your predictions rather than your AS so it is still worth applying

Re the AS grade - all 6 modules make up the A Level - you do not hold an AS in a subject that you have a full A Level in
Already in for one - fingers crossed!! 2 ums away from economics and 5 for history - possible? I felt both went a lot better but then what do I know ey? :smile:

It's true that people often are unable to evaluate their own performance!

I think I've read that your teachers will get your scripts back as part of the remark process. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if that is the case then ask them what you could have done better - no matter whether the remark results in you going up or down.
Reply 9
OK, but is oxford a bit too ambitious now?

What is there to lose by trying? :p: Like I said, you still have another 4 choices if you don't get accepted :smile:

Thanks ppl

Always Remember "Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Always remember,whatever you got, or will get in the future. Exams dont define your life,you dont need good grades to make something good out of your life.You are worth a lot more than grades you got on a piece of paper
Original post by German123
Always Remember "Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Always remember,whatever you got, or will get in the future. Exams dont define your life,you dont need good grades to make something good out of your life.You are worth a lot more than grades you got on a piece of paper

Nerd

:smile:
Original post by ageshallnot
It's true that people often are unable to evaluate their own performance!

I think I've read that your teachers will get your scripts back as part of the remark process. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if that is the case then ask them what you could have done better - no matter whether the remark results in you going up or down.

My econ teacher said that in his reference he'll write that he was surprised at my B - will universities take that into consideration? But yes will do that thanks
Original post by Stannisbaratheon
Nerd

Aw bae
Original post by TenOfThem
From what I read Oxford will like those GCSE grades and will look at your predictions rather than your AS so it is still worth applying

Re the AS grade - all 6 modules make up the A Level - you do not hold an AS in a subject that you have a full A Level in

Ahh cool understand the whole AS a level thing now haha thanks :smile:

Great thanks I just don't want to be at a disadvantage when applying?
Original post by Farseer

OK thank you. Would you say predicted grades are marginally more important than AS grades then?
OK thank you. Would you say predicted grades are marginally more important than AS grades then?

hey i got AABB (10a* at GCSE) at AS with a B in history which I wish to study (which i'm remarking and probably will re-sit) basically i emailed the history faculty at oxford to ask if my AS's would disadvantage me greatly. Oxford replied and I quote:

"Oxford does not assess your AS scores in our Admissions process in any way (except that they must be good enough for you to feasibly get three As at A2). We use a combination of your History Aptitude Test score (70%) and your GCSE score (calculated as the number of A*s you got at GCSE contextualized by your school's GCSE performance - 30%) to decide whether or not to invite you for interview. Then you are the assessed on the following elements of your performance:30% HAT 30% GCSE score 30% interview score 10% submitted written work score. t's Cambridge that scrutinizes your individual UMS scores.

I hope this helped you as much as it helped me in terms of realising what oxford values at application!

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by esmeserena
hey i got AABB (10a* at GCSE) at AS with a B in history which I wish to study (which i'm remarking and probably will re-sit) basically i emailed the history faculty at oxford to ask if my AS's would disadvantage me greatly. Oxford replied and I quote:

"Oxford does not assess your AS scores in our Admissions process in any way (except that they must be good enough for you to feasibly get three As at A2). We use a combination of your History Aptitude Test score (70%) and your GCSE score (calculated as the number of A*s you got at GCSE contextualized by your school's GCSE performance - 30%) to decide whether or not to invite you for interview. Then you are the assessed on the following elements of your performance:30% HAT 30% GCSE score 30% interview score 10% submitted written work score. t's Cambridge that scrutinizes your individual UMS scores.

I hope this helped you as much as it helped me in terms of realising what oxford values at application!

Oh gosh thank you so much!! It is quite reassuring now knowing that Oxford do not judge on AS scores. I did not realise they put so much emphasis on GCSE results though! (9a* 2a) but thanks again, and good luck on your application!

Quick Reply

Latest