The Student Room Group

Nerves making me a bad driver

I've had 8 hours now,I've done everything except reversing and maneuvers. For the last two sessions (4hours) I've been absolutely terrible, making both stupid and dangerous mistakes. Today I almost rolled back into a taxi and that wasn't even the worst thing. My instructor is generally patient and nice but for the last two sessions he's been getting frustrated and today he said I was beginning to wind him up at which point we switched seats and drove me home (I was speeding into a junction and almost hit the curb) at this point I'm getting nervous about making him frustrated... How do I calm my nerves and keep focus whilst driving? I'm feeling very discouraged but I don't want to quit...anyone offer some advice?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Envee
x

You're having a bit of a confidence crisis, and that's natural. Just keep your concentration and think about what you're doing and what the car is doing. Look and assess all potential risks, I'd give it another 3 or 4 lessons and if your instructor is still annoyed and frustrated (which they really shouldn't be towards new drivers) then I'd consider looking for a new instructor.
I am so nervous at driving i dunno what is wrong with me i am really struggling with maneuvers like reverse park and keep doing the wrong thing and the biggest thing for me is i keep pulling the steering wheel to the right around roundabouts and everything with is really dangerous i just get scared that if i don't grip it tight enough i will lose control. i get really nervous got my test in a few weeks and just want to be able to be confident enough to pass :smile:
Reply 3
Your instructor may be pushing you too much, not everyone learns at the same pace.

Build up your confidence in less busy areas and work your way up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending