The Student Room Group

Can my friend get into medicine with these grades or not?

Basically a friend of mine is unsure whether to take a gap year and reapply for the next cycle with A*A*B or do another course

He thinks because of the B in Biology he won't get into medicine, is this true?

He went into clearing and got 5 offers for Pharmacy and needs to respond from tomorrow 9 am.

My question is should take the gap year and apply for something else.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by niceguy95
Basically a friend of mine is unsure whether to take a gap year and reapply for the next cycle with A*A*B or do another course

He went into clearing and got 5 offers for Pharmacy and needs to respond from tomorrow 9 am.

He won't get in with A*A*B because AAA is the minimum requirement unfortunately. So what he wants to do as an alternative is up to him!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got into medicine yesterday with ABB so anything is possible! However, I think that was a very atypical situation.
Reply 3
Original post by blobafet3
I got into medicine yesterday with ABB so anything is possible! However, I think that was a very atypical situation.

And you already had an offer? You weren't applying with those grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Which medical school? (Just curious)
Reply 5
Original post by em.d_4
He won't get in with A*A*B because AAA is the minimum requirement unfortunately. So what he wants to do as an alternative is up to him!

Posted from TSR Mobile

isn't that better than the latter though
Original post by em.d_4
And you already had an offer? You weren't applying with those grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 06shawm
Which medical school? (Just curious)

Yeah I had an offer, Hull-York med school, I didn't need an interview either!

Their admissions process is... odd to say the least!
Reply 7

Not for med. Many med schools don't accept the A* is a grade so it's basically the same as AAB. Also they look for all round consistent achievement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yeah I had an offer, Hull-York med school, I didn't need an interview either!

Their admissions process is... odd to say the least!

Wow, congrats!!
Original post by 06shawm
Wow, congrats!!

Thanks! Feel like I've just been given a gift.
Thanks! Feel like I've just been given a gift.

Most definitely!!! How come you were never interviewed aswell? Because your normally only put on reserve if you have been interviewed :biggrin:

I think he could get in because a friend of mine got his place at Manchester med school with A*AB (biology, chemistry and maths) so I think he should go for it!
Original post by 06shawm
Most definitely!!! How come you were never interviewed aswell? Because your normally only put on reserve if you have been interviewed :biggrin:

Well the admissions team promised an automatic interview to anyone with 3000+ UKCAT, I got 3000 exactly. But there were too many people to interview so in the end they just had to give offers to the people they couldn't interview.

Yeahhhh, I'm pretty lucky!!!
Well the admissions team promised an automatic interview to anyone with 3000+ UKCAT, I got 3000 exactly. But there were too many people to interview so in the end they just had to give offers to the people they couldn't interview.

Yeahhhh, I'm pretty lucky!!!

Well done on your fantastic UKCAT score! First year of med school goes so fast, make the most of it! :biggrin:
Original post by 06shawm
Well done on your fantastic UKCAT score! First year of med school goes so fast, make the most of it! :biggrin:

Thank you! There's plenty of years to go after the first, it's probably a good thing it goes quickly!
Reply 15
I got my as level results yesterday and im absolutely shocked (ive been crying constantly)
i got an ACDD which was totally unexpected (Geography, Biology, Chemistry and maths)
I want to do medicine and have already applied for my UKCAT
i have no idea what to do except retake which leaves me with 14 exams next year.
Im thinking of dropping geography and continuing the rest to A2
I need some serious advice.
Please can someone help me :frown:
Reply 16
I think that dropping geography, if you've got an A in it for AS level would be a good idea because for medicine, the average A2 required grades are AAA plus an AS B. Ergo AAAb, if you retake the other 3 subjects and get AAA then you'll be eligible for medicine with the extra AS grade A. But you'll most probably have to apply the year after as its tough to get AAA prediction with CDD.
Original post by Gg7
I got my as level results yesterday and im absolutely shocked (ive been crying constantly)
i got an ACDD which was totally unexpected (Geography, Biology, Chemistry and maths)
I want to do medicine and have already applied for my UKCAT
i have no idea what to do except retake which leaves me with 14 exams next year.
Im thinking of dropping geography and continuing the rest to A2
I need some serious advice.
Please can someone help me :frown:

I got AABB only a couple of marks off in my Chem, I'm in exactly the same situation as you
Reply 18
Original post by SherylHigham
I got AABB only a couple of marks off in my Chem, I'm in exactly the same situation as you

i think ur in a slightly better position than i am
but im ready to give my 100% to pull up my grades
thanks for the motivation again :smile:

I disagree with em.d_4 - i think it is possible. I'd e-mail around to ask. I suspect many will tell you to just apply (universities like to keep their options open). Chance of success will depend on other factors like voluntary work, work experience, personal statement.

Its worth e-mailing at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending