The Student Room Group

Still can’t get over bullying on my degree

A girl called me fat; another one told me that my hair was falling out; another called me ugly on Facebook; Another screamed at me in front of everyone in the canteen. In my class I was isolated: Noone would sit next to me in class; they would go the canteen without me; they would invite everyone in the class to a part and exclude me; They would give me AWFUL marks on my presentation; They would invite everyone to parties the course arranged and exclude me..
Some of them wouldn’t even have me on Facebook. None of them bothered to help me when I was struggling. One of them snapped at me for coughing near him when I wasn’t anywhere near and was covering my mouth.
Graduated three years ago and still upset.....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
A girl called me fat; another one told me that my hair was falling out; another called me ugly on Facebook; Another screamed at me in front of everyone in the canteen. In my class I was isolated: Noone would sit next to me in class; they would go the canteen without me; they would invite everyone in the class to a part and exclude me; They would give me AWFUL marks on my presentation; They would invite everyone to parties the course arranged and exclude me..
Some of them wouldn’t even have me on Facebook. None of them bothered to help me when I was struggling. One of them snapped at me for coughing near him when I wasn’t anywhere near and was covering my mouth.

If they did this to you without you not doing anything to them (as in being horrible or annoying them), its really weird...

Forget about those horrible people, they're not worth it. The reasons for them picking on you can be jealousy. Or they're trying to hurt someone due to their lives being horrible... Or it can be just the fact of confidence. You should always respect yourself and be confident.

As I said forget about them, forget the past, focus on your future. Remember what comes around goes around.
Reply 2
What uni was this?
Reply 3
Original post by godd
What uni was this?

Birmingham University -- The one with the clock tower..
this is terrible.

but why didn't you stick up for yourself.

steel sharpen steel.
Reply 5
Original post by barneystin
this is terrible.

but why didn't you stick up for yourself.

steel sharpen steel.

I don't know..
I don't know..

are you sure it wasnt just banter?
Reply 7
Original post by barneystin
are you sure it wasnt just banter?

How can that be banter?
How can that be banter?

I agree with you 100% on that, there is a line between 'banter' and bullying and what you experienced is bullying, no doubt about it.
Birmingham University -- The one with the clock tower..

damn it, wow

I'm actually applying to Birmingham this year
The point is this poor person was bullied through no fault of their own.
(edited 9 years ago)
wow that's mean! was it a small course?

I'm sure they are just horrible people, be glad you aren't that mean!
Reply 12
I found people in university to be a hell of lot more respectful. Everyone talks to everyone, you shake someones hand when you meet them. I mean I don't think I ever saw anyone get bullied in my undergrad or postgrad.

Bullying did happen in secondary school though, I witnessed that. But I don't remember it ever happening in university.
Original post by twoforjoy
wow that's mean! was it a small course?

I'm sure they are just horrible people, be glad you aren't that mean!

80 people..
I've experienced bullying like this in school, so I know how all of this must feel. Time is usually the best way to get over something like that, because they don't matter now - it's not as if you'll be seeing them every day now.

It might help talking to a counselor or someone like that - someone who isn't biased or won't judge. I've gone down that route, and it's helped massively, just to talk about it.

The worst part of this is that, with it being on a degree course, you'd have expected everyone to act like mature adults. It's quite possible that, had you done another course or gone somewhere else to do your course, things may have been better for you.
80 people..

I think some with courses (particularly smaller ones) everyone knows everyone else's business and it can become quite cliquey. My course has 80 people and I've found this can happen. I'm also at Birmingham.

Anyone who is now worried about Birmingham, this is the first I've heard of anyone being bullied and it's a lovely uni and I really like it. Honestly it can happen anywhere, just depends who you're with.

OP maybe speak to a friend/family member and see if they can give you any tips on how to get over it. I got bullied at school and it got easier with time but it did take a long time
Damn :s-smilie: you'd think that kind of behaviour would be left behind in secondary school or at least sixth form.

I've heard awful things about Birmingham.

My friend got accepted to all her unis except Birmingham, but she's actually happy that she got rejected because for her it was a reserve/last resort.
Reply 18

Reading this I thought you were writing about a secondary school shocked this was a university experience it's very odd. I mean you can meet the odd person with rude behaviour at uni but you seem to have met a whole group so I am feel very sorry for you, it's really bad that you had to experience such treatment felt almost like the mean girls movie the sort of behaviour you wrote about.

By the way I have no idea whether you are male or female not very important but it would be good to know.

Reading your post you also made clear that these bullies would attack your weight, so I do not really need to tell you that you have weight issues which I am sure you could improve on if you want to, which in turn may improve your life experiences.

Personally I have never attacked a fat person but I would be lying if I told you I go out of my way to make friends with fat people. Not that I would never be friends with a fat person but it's not something I ,nor would I think most people do.

Fact is with everything in life especially how people look, others will have misconceptions and when it comes to fat people in my experience, I guess because we have these ideals of beauty pumped into us. We see fat as negative and therefor we tend to look down on fat people as we do with any group of people who are ostracized and portrayed negatively by the media and I have to say sorry to you for that. Unfortunately humans can be sick creatures and treat each other really bad at times due to these influences.

Believe me although I am not fat I have my own problems in life with the way some people behave around me, so we all have our own problems for me I just try not to let peoples ignorance and prejudice get to me, I will not waste my energy on such people.

Your class at uni behaved like a pack and ganged up against you, I can only imagine how bad it was for you. For me dealing with one or two bad people can annoy me but a whole class can't even contemplate this.

Others will criticize me for saying this but I do think if you really want to change do your best to work on your weight, it's easy to call me cruel for stating this but if it is an issue in your life why not do your best to improve it? Of course if you are totally happy with how you look than you do not have to.

As for Facebook just get off it half the people on it maybe more are not even truly your friends, it can be a waste of time find true friends in life and stay connected to them outside Facebook. Why would you even want to stay friends with such people? If you are young you got time to make positive changes in your life so take this as a chance to reflect and move forward for the better.

Everyone has bad times in life some worse than others this is yours and you have to decide whether you will let it drag you down or bounce back and create a positive future for yourself.

Hopefully my words help you and you can find the belief within yourself to take positive steps towards a better future.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mancini
Reading this I thought you were writing about a secondary school shocked this was a university experience it's very odd. I mean you can meet the odd person with rude behaviour at uni but you seem to have met a whole group so I am feel very sorry for you, it's really bad that you had to experience such treatment felt almost like the mean girls movie the sort of behaviour you wrote about.

By the way I have no idea whether you are male or female not very important but it would be good to know.

Reading your post you also made clear that these bullies would attack your weight, so I do not really need to tell you that you have weight issues which I am sure you could improve on if you want to, which in turn may improve your life experiences.

Personally I have never attacked a fat person but I would be lying if I told you I go out of my way to make friends with fat people. Not that I would never be friends with a fat person but it's not something I ,nor would I think most people do.

Fact is with everything in life especially how people look, others will have misconceptions and when it comes to fat people in my experience, I guess because we have these ideals of beauty pumped into us. We see fat as negative and therefor we tend to look down on fat people as we do with any group of people who are ostracized and portrayed negatively by the media and I have to say sorry to you for that. Unfortunately humans can be sick creatures and treat each other really bad at times due to these influences.

Believe me although I am not fat I have my own problems in life with the way some people behave around me, so we all have our own problems for me I just try not to let peoples ignorance and prejudice get to me, I will not waste my energy on such people.

Your class at uni behaved like a pack and ganged up against you, I can only imagine how bad it was for you. For me dealing with one or two bad people can annoy me but a whole class can't even contemplate this.

Others will criticize me for saying this but I do think if you really want to change do your best to work on your weight, it's easy to call me cruel for stating this but if it is an issue in your life why not do your best to improve it? Of course if you are totally happy with how you look than you do not have to.

As for Facebook just get off it half the people on it maybe more are not even truly your friends, it can be a waste of time find true friends in life and stay connected to them outside Facebook. Why would you even want to stay friends with such people? If you are young you got time to make positive changes in your life so take this as a chance to reflect and move forward for the better.

Everyone has bad times in life some worse than others this is yours and you have to decide whether you will let it drag you down or bounce back and create a positive future for yourself.

Hopefully my words help you and you can find the belief within yourself to take positive steps towards a better future.

I was considering creating a dummy Facebook account to humiliate them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending