The Student Room Group

How much did you spend on Uni Essentials?

So i'm trying to find out where the best places are to shop for Uni Essentials :smile:

I made a list on Amazon to get an estimate and it rallied up to £280.
Is that a reasonable spending price?

Scroll to see replies

Sounds expensive to me... Are you talking about kitchen/home stuff? Like pans, plates, towels and the like?

I'd look in places like Wilkinsons, B&M, Tesco, Asda etc... No need to spend that much really.
Reply 2
£0, Parents spent about £20-30 on bedding and food. Also borrowed some stuff from home and relatives gave me some stuff.
That is so expensive!! What are we talking about when we say 'Essentials'?

I've bought all of the books on my reading lists (8) and extra books (4) for £65. Three of them were 1p! All the right editions and in very good condition.

Ive bought all my pukka pads that have dividers (10) for £2.50 each with a total of £25.

I have bought pens off of ebay (50x Red, 50x Blue, 50x Black) for a total of £15 (I lose pens ALL THE TIME! haha).

Calculator (casio scientific) for £4.

Folders (5) and plastic Wallets (LOADS) I've got for a total of £15.

Rubbers, Pencils, Tip ex, Stapler, staples, hole Punch etc All for £12.

This totals at £136. How did you get £280?

:smile:
If we are talking about house things etc, I haven't a clue, my parents have bought all my stuff and I'm in my own house not halls so i've had to kit out a house rather than a room etc :smile: tesco do 16 piece plate set for £6 and places like B&M and Home Bargains do EVERYTHING else. That £280 seems expensive still. Just go to the shops and have a look :smile: xx
Reply 5
Original post by katehlouise
Sounds expensive to me... Are you talking about kitchen/home stuff? Like pans, plates, towels and the like?

I'd look in places like Wilkinsons, B&M, Tesco, Asda etc... No need to spend that much really.

Yep!

And thank the Lord. It hurt to think about spending that much on essentials, I even made sure to target the cheap items on amazon :frown:

Original post by Ruffiio
£0, Parents spent about £20-30 on bedding and food. Also borrowed some stuff from home and relatives gave me some stuff.

You lucky bugger.
Most of my summer job earnings are contributing to the Uni must haves.
Although, the PC im building takes a chunk of it...

Original post by EmmaHalley
That is so expensive!! What are we talking about when we say 'Essentials'?

I've bought all of the books on my reading lists (8) and extra books (4) for £65. Three of them were 1p! All the right editions and in very good condition.

Ive bought all my pukka pads that have dividers (10) for £2.50 each with a total of £25.

I have bought pens off of ebay (50x Red, 50x Blue, 50x Black) for a total of £15 (I lose pens ALL THE TIME! haha).

Calculator (casio scientific) for £4.

Folders (5) and plastic Wallets (LOADS) I've got for a total of £15.

Rubbers, Pencils, Tip ex, Stapler, staples, hole Punch etc All for £12.

This totals at £136. How did you get £280?

:smile:

Accommodation essentials such a kitchen ware etc. :smile:
£40 for my stationery but my birthday is on 28 September so I've asked for people to buy me gift cards for Waterstones and Amazon! I am living at home however :smile:
Original post by Luora
Yep!

And thank the Lord. It hurt to think about spending that much on essentials, I even made sure to target the cheap items on amazon :frown:

Definitely look around! I work in B&M and I've seen some good deals on pans, plates and cutlery lately. There's also some good knife sets, random utensils, baking trays and that too.

A lot of places may have student deals on too - I think Wilkinson did last year.
Reply 8
Original post by simplylldxo
£40 for my stationery but my birthday is on 28 September so I've asked for people to buy me gift cards for Waterstones and Amazon! I am living at home however :smile:

:redface: Smart thinking!

Original post by katehlouise
Definitely look around! I work in B&M and I've seen some good deals on pans, plates and cutlery lately. There's also some good knife sets, random utensils, baking trays and that too.

A lot of places may have student deals on too - I think Wilkinson did last year.

Awesome :biggrin:
This should definitely save me a lot of money!
Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 9
Do people really not borrow stuff from home? A bit of cutlery, 1-2 plates, a cup, maybe a pan and pot if your halls don't supply one, I was lucky in that they did so didn't need them. Grab a few pens lying around the house..:dontknow:
I don't know.. people spend ridiculous amounts of money before they even get to university, it's all mindboggling to me personally. I wouldn't spend any more than £50 max.
Original post by Luora

It's my first grown up decision since I turned 18 :wink:

I am doing English and History so I have a lot of books to get :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Ruffiio
Do people really not borrow stuff from home? A bit of cutlery, 1-2 plates, a cup, maybe a pan and pot if your halls don't supply one, I was lucky in that they did so didn't need them. Grab a few pens lying around the house..:dontknow:
I don't know.. people spend ridiculous amounts of money before they even get to university, it's all mindboggling to me personally. I wouldn't spend any more than £50 max.

Honestly, if I asked my Ma if I could nab a few cutlery, she'll probably whack me with a wooden spoon haha

But you're right :smile: My course is very PC intensive so a Hard drive, notebook and Pen should fit me fine and they are just laying around the house. It's just the kitchen/shower/bedroom items that's gonna demand some spending but £280 is definitely too much.
I got absolutely everything I needed (including my first food shop) for £97

Edit:and by this I mean everything from stationary to bedding to crockery.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Luora

Awesome :biggrin:
This should definitely save me a lot of money!
Thank you very much :smile:

http://www.wilko.com/page/student-life-sorted

they have the same crockery deal as they did last year £5 for a 12 piece set and it's good quality I bought it last year. Most places will charge you £15-20 for a set. Also I got cutlery twelve piece simple metal set there last year for like £2
Reply 14
Original post by SophieSmall

they have the same crockery deal as they did last year £5 for a 12 piece set and it's good quality I bought it last year. Most places will charge you £15-20 for a set. Also I got cutlery twelve piece simple metal set there last year for like £2

You. Are. An. Angel.
Thank you so much!
Original post by Luora
You. Are. An. Angel.
Thank you so much!

hehe you are welcome :tongue:
Reply 16
I spent about £200 last year for all my kitchen and bedroom stuff.
erm.. nothing atm lol? =/ feel like I should be buying few things... ill see after a few weeks
Reply 18
I am living at home while I am at university, so a few things. I got a massive bulk of stationery for £60 in total! Sharpie, pens, jotter books, diary, planner and also included a lovely leather a4 organiser that I have always had my eye on for £20. Then I got an NUS card for £12 to renew (essential for those discounts!) also a railcard to travel for £26 (i think?) i am a bit miffed as Santander are doing a student account with a free 4 year railcard lol.
Original post by SophieSmall

This looks so useful! Thank you, and thank goodness for Wilko.

Quick Reply

Latest