The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Hey x is anyone on here going to De montfort uni?
I don't think there are as many somali's going compared to Coventry but I think (hope) it's pretty close :colondollar:
Original post by basmaay
Hey x is anyone on here going to De montfort uni?
I don't think there are as many somali's going compared to Coventry but I think (hope) it's pretty close :colondollar:

What will you be studying?
Original post by hugoalmeida
ahhh well done!!! ahha you not?? Okaay...

i insured brunel missed my firm so currently im going there...

i just dont know if i should transfer to city university london... its location is better its a weee bit closer but i think brunel is a wee bit better for my course (civil engineering)...

what course are you doing?

BSc Investment & Financial Risk Management - Cass Business School

Original post by Secretnerd123
What did you get??

A*A*A
AbdulKarim if you're serious about your grades then mashaAllah congrats!!!! :congrats: you could've gone to a top russell group uni with those grades though
AbdulKarim if you're serious about your grades then mashaAllah congrats!!!! :congrats: you could've gone to a top russell group uni with those grades though

Thanks although I'm perfectly happy with City. Don't think I'd change course, even if I got offered. RG means nothing tbh, unless you want to go into research, as they get funded a **** tonne of money for their research or the targets for Investment Banking :K:

One of my colleagues is going to QMUL so take care of her :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Thanks although I'm perfectly happy with City. Don't think I'd change course, even if I got offered. RG means nothing tbh, unless you want to go into research, as they get funded a **** tonne of money for their research or the targets for Investment Banking :K:

One of my colleagues is going to QMUL so take care of her :rolleyes:

Your parents must have been ecstatic!
Did u celebrate?

What is she studying?
Your parents must have been ecstatic!
Did u celebrate?

What is she studying?

They were happy, although I had work to do.

International Relations.

Well and another is going to study History and my friend at school going there to study Mechanical Engineering.
They were happy, although I had work to do.

International Relations.

Well and another is going to study History and my friend at school going there to study Mechanical Engineering.

You know many people goung qm lol

What date you starting? I have a month left. Not sure how I feel about this esp since we've moved to west london and uni is even more of a commute now :frown:
You know many people goung qm lol

What date you starting? I have a month left. Not sure how I feel about this esp since we've moved to west london and uni is even more of a commute now :frown:

Yeah, good uni :biggrin:

I'm planning on living in halls so won't have the problem. I start on the 9th Sept, as Cass students do a pre-sessional maths course. How about yourself?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, good uni :biggrin:

I'm planning on living in halls so won't have the problem. I start on the 9th Sept, as Cass students do a pre-sessional maths course. How about yourself?

I start 15th but freshers faire is 17th so that whole week is just freshers events. Lectures start 22nd :smile: slightly nervous..
I start 15th but freshers faire is 17th so that whole week is just freshers events. Lectures start 22nd :smile: slightly nervous..

Nervous for what.. I'm hella excited :lol:. Although I've met quite a few people who'll be studying at Cass already :biggrin:
Nervous for what.. I'm hella excited :lol:. Although I've met quite a few people who'll be studying at Cass already :biggrin:

Nervous about meeting people lol. I met a girl on here who was supposed to start my course and we became friends but she didn't make the grades so won't be coming qm :frown: shes going city instead. The req are higher in city but she got lucky through clearing

I know 2 other people who'll be on my course but idk..
I'm just gonna be myself amd hope for the best I guess :smile:
Nervous about meeting people lol. I met a girl on here who was supposed to start my course and we became friends but she didn't make the grades so won't be coming qm :frown: shes going city instead. The req are higher in city but she got lucky through clearing

I know 2 other people who'll be on my course but idk..
I'm just gonna be myself amd hope for the best I guess :smile:

Friends are easy to make. I'm pretty sure everyone in freshers is trying to make friends so you can talk to anyone. I'm trying to assert my dominance in the first week :lol:. Make a gang :cool:
Friends are easy to make. I'm pretty sure everyone in freshers is trying to make friends so you can talk to anyone. I'm trying to assert my dominance in the first week :lol:. Make a gang :cool:

Hahah what happened to that 'I'm not going to uni to make friends. I'm going to study 24/7' line you used to post :tongue:
Hahah what happened to that 'I'm not going to uni to make friends. I'm going to study 24/7' line you used to post :tongue:

Networking =/= Making friends :K:
Networking =/= Making friends :K:

When does your apprentiship end?
When does your apprentiship end?

I'm not doing an apprenticeship. Internship ends on 29th august, however.
Hi everyone!
I'm Yasmin and I've come here for some serious life advice.
I'm 15 (16 in a few days) , about to start year 12 and I'm quite an academic person.

I've been studying Arabic for five years and my mum suggested that I could stay in Somalia (Hargeisa, Somaliland) to learn Arabic and Somali for a year then I could return to education. I really want to go as I don't really know my culture very well and this is a perfect opportunity.

However I really don't want to miss a year of education, even if I will receive my GCSE results in a week. My brother stayed in Somalia for half a year. Before he left, he got Es and wasn't very good. When he began his A levels again he got A*AA, so that gives me hope.

I just don't want to be left behind whilst all my peers excel. I have until September to decide...

Sorry for the long post, please be nice with your advice :smile:
Original post by YaYazooGirl
Hi everyone!
I'm 15 (16 in a few days) , about to start year 12 and I'm quite an academic person.

I've been studying Arabic for five years and my mum suggested that I could stay in Somalia (Hargeisa, Somaliland) to learn Arabic and Somali for a year then I could return to education. I really want to go as I don't really know my culture very well and this is a perfect opportunity.

However I really don't want to miss a year of education, even if I will receive my GCSE results in a week. My brother stayed in Somalia for half a year. Before he left, he got Es and wasn't very good. When he began his A levels again he got A*AA, so that gives me hope.

I just don't want to be left behind whilst all my peers excel. I have until September to decide...

Firstly I can never play down the importance of the arabic language.
It is a great tool in life and it puts you above the rest when it comes to the job world, knowing arabic will be a great boost to your cv.
Above all it is our language as muslims and the stepping stone to learning more about your faith.
But at the same time, the only route to learn arabic is not to get displaced and move to another country (ps somali wouldn't be the first place I'd think of going to learn arabic. Maybe learn somali but not arabic). There are many great opportunities and places where you can learn arabic here in the uk. And when it comes to your education I believe in ''strike the iron while still hot'', ie if you go and spend a couple of years out of education in this integral stage, then you would lose/forget/ get hazy about the things you learnt esp if you are planning to go the scientific route (bio, chm, phy). When you come back you may get back to your good attainment level but you will spend a lot of time playing catchup.
So in the end arabic is very important but you can learn here in the uk esp that you have the basics set. FInd a great teacher who knows what they are on about, do your alevels don't miss out on your year of education, work hard and get yourself into a great uni:biggrin:

And for the mother tongue, just spend more time with the older habaryars sit down with them when they come visit hoyo, spend more time with the community and in no time you will be dropping sugaan:cool:
Original post by YaYazooGirl
Hi everyone!

I will advise you to go to Somalia and learn your culture and the history as well as Arabic. Its good to do it now when your young and don't have that much commitment ie uni, work, family etc, rather then later.

Once the duration of your stay is over, you can always come back and do your A levels and go to uni and about your peers excelling, you'll probably only be a year behind. Furthermore you will have more experience then most your peers and this will help you when you writing your personal statement. Trust me a year is not much when you think about it. :biggrin:

Hope this helped :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending