The Student Room Group

Can I improve BDD to ABB or better for A2 ??

I almost got BCD but was only a few marks away (5 UMS marks) so got BDD.
I've asked for a remark to see whether I can get biology to a C.

I want to get ABB at A2
Does anyone think that this is possible ?
I seriously need inspiration :s-smilie:

UMS Marks:

Biology: 175/300 - D (58%)
Chemistry: 161/300 - D (54%)
Psychology: 143/200 - B (72%)
(edited 9 years ago)
Can you improve it? Yes
Will you? depends on how hard you're willing to work

(might have to retake exams but it's doable)
Yeah. I went from bcdd to A*AB. You just need to work really hard on your retakes (start very early) whilst balancing A2 work. Its sad that they scrapped jan exams as it really helped me and others because we were able to just focus on A2 after we took our retakes
Why did you get low scores in the first place. Was it because you found the work difficult or because you were lazy? Either way you could still definitely achieve the results you want, but you'd have to use different methods to get there.
Reply 4
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Can you improve it? Yes
Will you? depends on how hard you're willing to work

(might have to retake exams but it's doable)

Ok thank you:smile:
I feel much better about it
I just have to resit two exams in biology and chemistry which brought my grade down drastically on top of A2 exams which isn't so bad but it would be hard work
Reply 5
Let's see if it is theoretically possibly first, without retakes. I will assume you got the lowest possible mark for each grade (even though you didn't) so it may seem you have to score higher in A2 than you actually do.

B - 70%. To upgrade to an A you will need 90% in A2 (average is 80%) (coincidentally this actually gives you an A* since you got 90% in A2)
C - 60% To upgrade to a B you will need 80% in A2
D - 50% To upgrade to a B you will need 90% in A2

So yes, in that order, it is theoretically possible to get ABB from BCD. Note that for every increase in actual percentage per grade is equal to a decrease in the same percentage required for the target grade. I.e. If you C was 63%, you would only need (80-3=77) 77% in A2. If you got 79% as a B, you only need 81% at A2 to get an A.

Retakes may release the required percentage to hit the target grades, but may interfere with revision for A2.

I'm not that good with "inspiration" - I'm better with realism - You're gonna have to work your ass off to get those high A2 grades, and with those AS levels and the tougher standard of A2, I'd say get started as soon as you can. Don't leave it till Easter to revise, go over everything as you learn it. Test yourself weekly on last weeks content. I don't know what your other two subjects are but if they're facilitating subjects like biology then it's even more important. If you have any questions about UMS/percentages/grades or anything exam-related feel free to quote me.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by joecaverly
Why did you get low scores in the first place. Was it because you found the work difficult or because you were lazy? Either way you could still definitely achieve the results you want, but you'd have to use different methods to get there.

I found the work reasonably good.
I was just in complete shock yesterday when I opened my results.
Especially for biology (D) and chemistry (D).
But I noticed that I underestimated the unit 1 exams which I thought would be easy....those exams brought down my overall grade badly as my other exams and coursework were high Cs and Bs. I think I focused on the unit 2 exams much more
Reply 7
Original post by Dylann
Let's see if it is theoretically possibly first, without retakes. I will assume you got the lowest possible mark for each grade (even though you didn't) so it may seem you have to score higher in A2 than you actually do.

B - 70%. To upgrade to an A you will need 90% in A2 (average is 80%) (coincidentally this actually gives you an A* since you got 90% in A2)
C - 60% To upgrade to a B you will need 80% in A2
D - 50% To upgrade to a B you will need 90% in A2

So yes, in that order, it is theoretically possible to get ABB from BCD. Note that for every increase in actual percentage per grade is equal to a decrease in the same percentage required for the target grade. I.e. If you C was 63%, you would only need (80-3=77) 77% in A2. If you got 79% as a B, you only need 81% at A2 to get an A.

Retakes may release the required percentage to hit the target grades, but may interfere with revision for A2.

I'm not that good with "inspiration" - I'm better with realism - You're gonna have to work your ass off to get those high A2 grades, and with those AS levels and the tougher standard of A2, I'd say get started as soon as you can. Don't leave it till Easter to revise, go over everything as you learn it. Test yourself weekly on last weeks content. I don't know what your other two subjects are but if they're facilitating subjects like biology then it's even more important. If you have any questions about UMS/percentages/grades or anything exam-related feel free to quote me.

Good luck.

Thank you so much
I do biology, chemistry and psychology
I've decided to ask for a remark for biology as I was only 5 UMS marks off a C
Here's my actual percentages:
Chemistry : 54%
Biology: 58%
Psychology: 72%

I am going to be retaking my unit 1 exams in biology and chemistry as my grades in those were poor (E and U respectively) which is why I got 2 Ds
Reply 8
Original post by Secretnerd123
Yeah. I went from bcdd to A*AB. You just need to work really hard on your retakes (start very early) whilst balancing A2 work. Its sad that they scrapped jan exams as it really helped me and others because we were able to just focus on A2 after we took our retakes

Seriously !! That's great ! If you can do it then I can too :biggrin:
It's just the matter of juggling revision for A2 and AS exams
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shanzii
Seriously !! That's great ! If you can do it then I can too :biggrin:
It's just the matter of juggling revision for A2 and AS exams

Yup! Good luck x
Reply 10
Original post by Shanzii
Thank you so much
I do biology, chemistry and psychology
I've decided to ask for a remark for biology as I was only 5 UMS marks off a C
Here's my actual percentages:
Chemistry : 54%
Biology: 58%
Psychology: 72%

I am going to be retaking my unit 1 exams in biology and chemistry as my grades in those were poor (E and U respectively) which is why I got 2 Ds

Oh right sorry, the original original post wasn't too clear :P (p.s. if asking for any help with UMS/grades, post the UMS/percentages in the first post, makes it so much easier for people to help!)

Psychology - need 88% for an A (pro tip: get 90% instead and get an A* too ;D)
Chemistry - need 86% for a B
Biology - need 82% for a B.
Reply 11
Original post by Dylann
Oh right sorry, the original original post wasn't too clear :P (p.s. if asking for any help with UMS/grades, post the UMS/percentages in the first post, makes it so much easier for people to help!)

Psychology - need 88% for an A (pro tip: get 90% instead and get an A* too ;D)
Chemistry - need 86% for a B
Biology - need 82% for a B.

Ok. Thank you
I've definitely got to work hard .
But if I can get an A*, well I'll welcome the sleepless nights and non existent social life. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Shanzii
Ok. Thank you
I've definitely got to work hard .
But if I can get an A*, well I'll welcome the sleepless nights and non existent social life. :smile:

Forget a social life, that's for university. 99% of the people at your school/college you won't ever talk to again.

A*/A grades look better on job applications than "I like hanging out with my friends"
Reply 13
Original post by Dylann
Forget a social life, that's for university. 99% of the people at your school/college you won't ever talk to again.

A*/A grades look better on job applications than "I like hanging out with my friends"

99% lol that's harsh :tongue:
But yeah I completely agree, I'll be antisocial this year
Need to get ABB or even A*BB if I'm lucky
Resitting 2 exams should make it easier to get those grades hopefully
Reply 14
Original post by Shanzii
99% lol that's harsh :tongue:
But yeah I completely agree, I'll be antisocial this year
Need to get ABB or even A*BB if I'm lucky
Resitting 2 exams should make it easier to get those grades hopefully

There's a difference between being anti-social and restricting your social life lol... I still went out here and there through my AS exams (I even worked on Saturdays during my exams) and I got 4As. Just dedicate more time to revision. It's not even a case of study vs social life, things like procrastination are bigger killers than social life.
Reply 15
Original post by Dylann
There's a difference between being anti-social and restricting your social life lol... I still went out here and there through my AS exams (I even worked on Saturdays during my exams) and I got 4As. Just dedicate more time to revision. It's not even a case of study vs social life, things like procrastination are bigger killers than social life.

Lol my bad :tongue:
Ok that's sounds reasonable.
I'll defo be revising more since I'd have 8 exams next year
Reply 16
Its much harder now Jan exams are gone because this summer I had to incorporate 6 resits into my normal 9 A2 exams, which is a lot considering the content you have to go over right up until the exam dates. But I did go from CCD to BBB which is some kind of improvement I guess.
Reply 17
Original post by Krek
Its much harder now Jan exams are gone because this summer I had to incorporate 6 resits into my normal 9 A2 exams, which is a lot considering the content you have to go over right up until the exam dates. But I did go from CCD to BBB which is some kind of improvement I guess.

I know, Jan exams would have been helpful :frown:
But you managed to do 15 exams at A2 and get BBB which I think is amazing considering how many exams you had to do. :smile:
I have to do 9 exams next summer, maybe 8 exams if I'm lucky.
Do you have any advice about how to balance revision with AS and A2 exams ?

Quick Reply

Latest