The Student Room Group

Are AAB requirement courses out of my reach. Will I be rejected.

Could people suggest what the maximum grade requirements should be of the universities that I apply for based on my grades which are as follows:

D* in BTEC Business subsidiary diploma. 140 Ucas Points

D in AS Economics, 1 mark off of a C, plan to re-sit first year exams and have B predicted grade.

E in AS History, mark may go up after re-mark, will result both exams, and will have predicted grade of A or B which believe it or not, is not entirely as unrealistic as it seems.:biggrin:

D in A2 English language (Will this cause problems?)

Really the universities I want to apply to will require AAB, most importantly the course I want to apply to which is business related. I want to know if this is stupid to apply at this level.
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't apply, you seem quite far off. Maybe rest then try again once you get your A's/B's? :smile:
Original post by nameofuser
Could people suggest what the maximum grade requirements should be of the universities that I apply for based on my grades which are as follows:

D in AS Economics, 1 mark off of a C, plan to re-sit first year exams and have B predicted grade.

E in AS History, mark may go up after re-mark, will result both exams, and will have predicted grade of A or B which believe it or not, is not entirely as unrealistic as it seems.:biggrin:

Really the universities I want to apply to will require AAB, most importantly the course I want to apply to which is business related. I want to know if this is stupid to apply at this level.

You'll need to talk to people about your predicted grades, what you're realistically going to reach, and what you're hoping to do at uni.
I got a D in AS English Literature but resat and came out of my A Levels with an A in it, and I'm now studying it at Manchester, so it CAN be done. I applied to all of my choices with that D in English and got 5/5 offers, but my other grades were high, so they might have understood that I hyped myself out of that exam.
Instead of using up all 5 choices with high grades, maybe apply to 1 that you really want to go to, and then make your other choices a little bit lower?
Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by EmmaHalley
I wouldn't apply, you seem quite far off. Maybe rest then try again once you get your A's/B's? :smile:

I can't really do that. I'm already going into the third year doing A Levels.

If my grade goes up in History, I don't really think my prediction will appear too over optimistic and I'm confident I can get a B in economics with hard work. I'm just not sure whether I can convince universities I can do it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by awkwardusername
You'll need to talk to people about your predicted grades, what you're realistically going to reach, and what you're hoping to do at uni.
I got a D in AS English Literature but resat and came out of my A Levels with an A in it, and I'm now studying it at Manchester, so it CAN be done. I applied to all of my choices with that D in English and got 5/5 offers, but my other grades were high, so they might have understood that I hyped myself out of that exam.
Instead of using up all 5 choices with high grades, maybe apply to 1 that you really want to go to, and then make your other choices a little bit lower?
Good luck!

I wasn't going to apply exclusively to AAB courses, but my ideal uni requires that.
I wasn't going to apply exclusively to AAB courses, but my ideal uni requires that.

No harm in trying then! :smile:
Reply 6

got into an ABB course with BDE, so maybe its possible? :confused:
Reply 7
Original post by lilyobz
got into an ABB course with BDE, so maybe its possible? :confused:

I don't doubt getting in is possible should I get an offer. It's getting an offer in the first place that I'm worried about.

I guess I'm going to just have to try and write an amazing personal statement and make sure my references help me out.
I can't really do that. I'm already going into the third year doing A Levels.

If my grade goes up in History, I don't really think my prediction will appear too over optimistic and I'm confident I can get a B in economics with hard work. I'm just not sure whether I can convince universities I can do it.

I am assuming you are going into A2 and the issue is how your AS results could affect your predicted grades and UCAS application? Considering what you got at AS I would say it is going to be extremely difficult for a tutor to predict you a B.
Reply 9
Original post by keynes24
I am assuming you are going into A2 and the issue is how your AS results could affect your predicted grades and UCAS application? Considering what you got at AS I would say it is going to be extremely difficult for a tutor to predict you a B.

For economics or History?
For economics or History?

Both, if the place you are applying to is competitive then you may want to consider other alternatives. It is possible you can get higher marks but your UCAS applications is based mainly on what you got so far.
Reply 11
Original post by keynes24
Both, if the place you are applying to is competitive then you may want to consider other alternatives. It is possible you can get higher marks but your UCAS applications is based mainly on what you got so far.

The course was in clearing, so unless the Uni is super strict and rejected loads of people, it can't be the most competitive. I have considered alternatives, but none of the courses appeal to me as much so I will probably apply for it even if my other choices are lower.

Also, is a predicted B really so bad if I'm currently 1 UMS off of a C in economics and I will be re-sitting my AS exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending