A levels - 90% A2 but A grade overall

Could someone please confirm as to why this isn't an A*

GCE A level (4 units):

Unit 1: 84 UMS
Unit 2: 70 UMS
Unit 3: 97 UMS
Unit 4: 86 UMS

I thought it was 90% average at A2
and 80% overall or is it because I averaged a B at AS.

I seemed to get A* in another

Unit 1: 90 UMS
Unit 2: 100 UMS
Unit 3: 96 UMS
Unit 4: 84 UMS

I assume because I averaged 90% A2 and 80%+ AS or am I missing something crucial?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You need 90% in all of your A2 modules, I believe.
Original post by Feartheunknown
You need 90% in all of your A2 modules, I believe.

But I got 96+84 in my other A2 exam = 90% average and got an A* :s-smilie:

It doesn't matter much as I still got into my firm uni but I was just slightly confused as to how I didn't get an A* on the exam I supposedly got an A in
Reply 3
Original post by Abdul-Karim

GCE A level (4 units):

Baffled. You need at least 320/400 in the A level (you have) and at least 180/200 in the A2 (yes). If your numbers are correct then you should have an A*. (Previous poster: You DO NOT need 90% in each A2 unit.)
Reply 4
I thought you needed an A at AS to get an a*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Compost
Baffled. You need at least 320/400 in the A level (you have) and at least 180/200 in the A2 (yes). If your numbers are correct then you should have an A*. (Previous poster: You DO NOT need 90% in each A2 unit.)

So it should be an A* to your calculations?

Should I just wait until the certificate? My exam officer just told me I got an A but my transcripts suggest that it should be an A*. I thought I understood how the A* grade was calculated.
Reply 6
I'm assuming unit 1 and unit 2 are AS, their average needs to be 80+, yours is 77
Original post by Mule

Posted from TSR Mobile

If this is true then it would make sense. I got a B for the subject at AS

Unit 1: 84
Unit 2: 70

B average
Original post by excal9
I'm assuming unit 1 and unit 2 are AS, their average needs to be 80+, yours is 77

Ahh okay, thanks :biggrin:

I thought it was just 80% average overall. I must be mistaken. Kinda sucks that I put so much effort into A2 to average 90%+
Original post by NedStark
It's not an A at AS, it's A overall. Get your teacher to email the exam board.

Are you sure?

I'm so confused.
Typically, you need to average 90+% in your A2 modules and 80+% across ALL of your modules (AS and A2) for an A*. It would be very unlikely that your grade was incorrectly calculated.

Assuming that units 1 and 2 are AS modules, and units 3 and 4 are A2 modules, you seem to fulfill both of those requirements.

Ask your subject teacher. They will probably know more about whether or not you have actually achieved the A* or whether the requirements for your particular course is different.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Compost

^ True

Original post by Mule

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by excal9

^ Not true

It should definitely be an A*. Congrats on your great results :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Ahh okay, thanks :biggrin:

I thought it was just 80% average overall. I must be mistaken. Kinda sucks that I put so much effort into A2 to average 90%+

I'm wrong sorry :/ http://rewardinglearning.org.uk/docs/quals/admin/astar_at_alevel.pdf
i don't get why you didn't get an A* now
Original post by excal9
I'm wrong sorry :/ http://rewardinglearning.org.uk/docs/quals/admin/astar_at_alevel.pdf
i don't get why you didn't get an A* now

I haven't been given my official transcripts. My exam officer just said I got an A but when I calculated it with my AS+A2 unit grades I thought it was A*. I told my parents I got A*A*A but if my exam officer is right then I got A*AA.

GCE A level (4 units):

I thought it was 90% average at A2
and 80% overall or is it because I averaged a B at AS.

I seemed to get A* in another

Unit 1: 90 UMS
Unit 2: 100 UMS
Unit 3: 96 UMS
Unit 4: 84 UMS

I assume because I averaged 90% A2 and 80%+ AS or am I missing something crucial?

should be an A* - only conditions are 80% average over whole A Level and 90% average over A2 modules. Definitely get your exams officer to check!
No it's 80% overall and 90% at A2 so you should have gotten an A*
Original post by Paradox.
should be an A* - only conditions are 80% average over whole A Level and 90% average over A2 modules. Definitely get your exams officer to check!

I'll give him a call on Monday. :biggrin: Thanks for your help.

Either way.. I'm not complaining :K: could've done worse
Original post by MidnightDream
No it's 80% overall and 90% at A2 so you should have gotten an A*

Hey, how did it go :biggrin:

How was Economics?
Reply 18
But I got 96+84 in my other A2 exam = 90% average and got an A* :s-smilie:

It doesn't matter much as I still got into my firm uni but I was just slightly confused as to how I didn't get an A* on the exam I supposedly got an A in

You can't average them out you need to have 90%+ in both of the papers. 90+90 is an A* but 100 + 80 isn't.
Over 90% in A* each exam , for AS you could get...anything really. I got ADA*A* and it still gave my an A* for one of my subject ,despite of a D
Hey, how did it go :biggrin:

How was Economics?

My AS? I got AAAB :woo:

and A in Economics :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest