The Student Room Group

BCDcdd A Levels. What to do?

All in band 1 subjects apart from c in General Studies (compulsory).

Don't want to go through clearing, want to redo year - not going to do it at the school I was at before.

Is there any funding to do it privately?

Would be applying for Law or Econ [preferably], physics/engineering[wouldn't mind doing, but would prefer Law or Econ.

What do I do, A2 Chem Coursework 60/60, A2 Phy coursework 42/60.

Would want to do Phy cwk again, can't do it at old centre..

Is there any funding available to do the exams as a private candidate?

What do I do?

What would you do?

Soft exten circumstances for both years but there nevertheless.

No where near tried my hardest + personal problems too.

Could you also tell me which universities I have 0 chance of getting in.

Not applying for dentistry/medicine but competitive courses nevertheless..

Thanks in advance.

Maths: B
Chem: D
Phy: C

G.S.: c
FM: d
Eng Lit: d
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm in a similar situation as this guy, would be great if someone with experience or research replies :smile:
Original post by DelenaxxStelena
All in band 1 subjects apart from c in General Studies (compulsory).

Don't want to go through clearing, want to redo year - not going to do it at the school I was at before.

Is there any funding to do it privately?

Would be applying for Law or Econ [preferably], physics/engineering[wouldn't mind doing, but would prefer Law or Econ?

What do I do, A2 Chem Coursework 60/60, A2 Phy coursework 42/60.

Would want to do Phy cwk again, can't do it at old centre..

Is there any funding available to do the exams as a private candidate?

What do I do?

What would you do?

Soft exten circumstances for both years but there nevertheless.

Could you also tell me which universities I have 0 chance of getting in.

Not applying for dentistry/medicine but competitive courses nevertheless..

Thanks in advance.

What subjects did you do? I've gathered that you did Physics and Chemistry. Without retaking at the same College/Sixth Form, I'd think it'll be quite hard to find another one that offers the same course with the same exam boards. Why don't you want to go through clearing, your grades aren't that bad and I would think you could still get into a fine university.

Personally if I was in your position, unless I'm absolute sure I could get ABB or above I wouldn't retake a year and would go through clearing. I don't think its worth wasting a year doing A levels again unless you're going to get into a much better university, or fail to get in through clearing. Also I would advise you to think properly on what course you want to do. Law, Economics, Physics and Engineering are very different subjects and you sound pretty undecided. A degree consists a lot of self study, self motivation and determination compared to School, College/Sixth Form. Unless you have the heart or genuine interest to do it, I don't think you'd end up with a good grade at the end of your degree hence time wasted. Especially for Law, Engineering and Physics.

With you current grades, I would say you have no chance at Oxbridge or most Russell Group universities. But not that going to one of those is necessary or a guarantee for success.

I don't know much about private funding, so can't help you on that one sorry.

I can only say, do what you really want to do and not just for the money. The last thing you want is to hate the subject you're studying and ending up with a poor grade, or entering a field of work that you dread going to work.
Original post by anthonyla65
What subjects did you do? I've gathered that you did Physics and Chemistry. Without retaking at the same College/Sixth Form, I'd think it'll be quite hard to find another one that offers the same course with the same exam boards. Why don't you want to go through clearing, your grades aren't that bad and I would think you could still get into a fine university.

Personally if I was in your position, unless I'm absolute sure I could get ABB or above I wouldn't retake a year and would go through clearing. I don't think its worth wasting a year doing A levels again unless you're going to get into a much better university, or fail to get in through clearing. Also I would advise you to think properly on what course you want to do. Law, Economics, Physics and Engineering are very different subjects and you sound pretty undecided. A degree consists a lot of self study, self motivation and determination compared to School, College/Sixth Form. Unless you have the heart or genuine interest to do it, I don't think you'd end up with a good grade at the end of your degree hence time wasted. Especially for Law, Engineering and Physics.

With you current grades, I would say you have no chance at Oxbridge or most Russell Group universities. But not that going to one of those is necessary or a guarantee for success.

I don't know much about private funding, so can't help you on that one sorry.

I can only say, do what you really want to do and not just for the money. The last thing you want is to hate the subject you're studying and ending up with a poor grade, or entering a field of work that you dread going to work.

Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it.

Changed it in the OP..

I just don't think I gave them my best shot/and had other stuff going on at the same time around exams :/

I'm pretty set on Econ with Law as a backup to that, I listed the others just as alternatives that I would consider doing.

I definitely believe I am capable of getting that, got 5 A stars at gcse, for reference.

I just don't want to rue not doing them again, especially since the syallabuses will change quite soon and since I don't think I have reached my full potential..

With my current grades I am pretty sure that I wouldn't get any offers from any RG unis, probably obvious.

Hence I was thinking of doing A Levels again in the coming year and then taking a gap year. So taking 2 gap years effectively but redoing the A Levels in the 3rd year of study (post A Levels again effectively).

I know you would probably think that an able student would never get themselves in this mess, but if I was to attain 4 A stars in Maths,FM,Phy,Chem - would I stand any chance at being accepted into RG uni's - specifically top 5 for Econ. With my UMS Cambridge is almost certainly out of the window - but for the rest of top 5-top 6 for Econ would I be instantly rejected for bombing the first 2 years.

I am also aware that it all good saying your are going to get these grades - but actually achieving them is another matter. I would be much more dedicated and focused if I were to resit them however..

Sorry for the long read..
Original post by DelenaxxStelena
Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it.

Changed it in the OP..

I just don't think I gave them my best shot/and had other stuff going on at the same time around exams :/

I'm pretty set on Econ with Law as a backup to that, I listed the others just as alternatives that I would consider doing.

I definitely believe I am capable of getting that, got 5 A stars at gcse, for reference.

I just don't want to rue not doing them again, especially since the syallabuses will change quite soon and since I don't think I have reached my full potential..

With my current grades I am pretty sure that I wouldn't get any offers from any RG unis, probably obvious.

Hence I was thinking of doing A Levels again in the coming year and then taking a gap year. So taking 2 gap years effectively but redoing the A Levels in the 3rd year of study (post A Levels again effectively).

I know you would probably think that an able student would never get themselves in this mess, but if I was to attain 4 A stars in Maths,FM,Phy,Chem - would I stand any chance at being accepted into RG uni's - specifically top 5 for Econ. With my UMS Cambridge is almost certainly out of the window - but for the rest of top 5-top 6 for Econ would I be instantly rejected for bombing the first 2 years.

I am also aware that it all good saying your are going to get these grades - but actually achieving them is another matter. I would be much more dedicated and focused if I were to resit them however..

Sorry for the long read..

Happy to help. :smile:

Well, you could well reach your full potential during university and come out with a First Honour. Providing the university you graduate from isn't at the bottom end of the list, I would still think it'd be respectable. Swansea for example is in the middle of the table with offers of BCC for Economics.

You currently have the option of: to spend a year or two doing A levels again, then doing another three years at university. Or go to university now and graduate in three years today and start earning money. It really depends on yourself, your self ambition and what you feel is right for you. One of my teachers has always told us to follow our heart, as she started college at the usual age of 16, hated it, dropped out, worked for a few years, then took night classes and went to university in her mid twenties having a much better experience than she would have if she followed her peers. However I can't imagine myself doing that, so I just did what felt right to me, worked as hard I could during my A levels and now I've just finish first year at a RG university.

Alternatively, If you really believe that you can do it, then I would say go for it as it'll be worth it to get into a RG university. Your grades and UMS shouldn't matter too much if you're gonna be retaking. You have good GCSE grades so I would just make sure your predicted grades are as high it could be and that would compensate, also have a good personal statement and listing any circumstances for the previous 2 years/UMS. Economics isn't as competitive as Law or Engineering I believe, so you should stand a chance apart from Oxbridge and LSE. Manchester for example ask for AAB, they're not top 5 but definitely not bad either.

An able student doesn't mean he or she would cope through everything, give them the chance to do it again with a resit and they'll show you how they shine.

Hope that helped.

Quick Reply

Latest