The Student Room Group

A levels - 90% A2 but A grade overall

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meeka96
You can't average them out you need to have 90%+ in both of the papers. 90+90 is an A* but 100 + 80 isn't.
Over 90% in A* each exam , for AS you could get...anything really. I got ADA*A* and it still gave my an A* for one of my subject ,despite of a D

But for Economics I got

Unit 3: 96
Unit 4: 84

and I got an A* overall :s-smilie:
Original post by MidnightDream
My AS? I got AAAB :woo:

and A in Economics :woo:

Very well down on your results!! :biggrin:

You're going places!
Original post by WK_Of_Angmar
Typically, you need to average 90+% in your A2 modules and 80+% across ALL of your modules (AS and A2) for an A*. It would be very unlikely that your grade was incorrectly calculated.

Assuming that units 1 and 2 are AS modules, and units 3 and 4 are A2 modules, you seem to fulfill both of those requirements.

Ask your subject teacher. They will probably know more about whether or not you have actually achieved the A* or whether the requirements for your particular course is different.

My offer was AAA so it doesn't matter regardless.

I just sacrificed a lot to get those grades so I was surprised when I calculated an A* but got an A. I'm not trying to sound pretentious just generally curious as to how my exam officer calculated an A. Didn't know where else to ask.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Very well down on your results!! :biggrin:

You're going places!

Haha thanks and I'm sure your A2s were fabby too :yep:

As are you!! :grin:
Reply 24
Original post by excal9
I'm assuming unit 1 and unit 2 are AS, their average needs to be 80+, yours is 77

AS results don't mean anything for A* - they just contribute to getting an A overall.

Original post by Mule
I thought you needed an A at AS to get an a*

Posted from TSR Mobile

NO! This is so wrong - you can get a C at AS and get an A* at a-level.

Could someone please confirm as to why this isn't an A*

GCE A level (4 units):

Unit 1: 84 UMS
Unit 2: 70 UMS
Unit 3: 97 UMS
Unit 4: 86 UMS

I thought it was 90% average at A2
and 80% overall or is it because I averaged a B at AS.

I seemed to get A* in another

Unit 1: 90 UMS
Unit 2: 100 UMS
Unit 3: 96 UMS
Unit 4: 84 UMS

I assume because I averaged 90% A2 and 80%+ AS or am I missing something crucial?

Unless you've misread something or are hiding something (tip, include the subject, exam board and everything in the OP - i havent got a clue if this is economics or travel and tourism)

They don't usually make mistakes when calculating A*s. Your exam board may have specific rules for A* for a certain specification.

Original post by Meeka96
You can't average them out you need to have 90%+ in both of the papers. 90+90 is an A* but 100 + 80 isn't.
Over 90% in A* each exam , for AS you could get...anything really. I got ADA*A* and it still gave my an A* for one of my subject ,despite of a D

Uhm no, you need 90% across A2 so 100+80 works.
Reply 25
My offer was AAA so it doesn't matter regardless.

I just sacrificed a lot to get those grades so I was surprised when I calculated an A* but got an A. I'm not trying to sound pretentious just generally curious as to how my exam officer calculated an A. Didn't know where else to ask.

p.s why is your exam officer calculating results and not the exam board?
Reply 26
So many lies on here.

For an A*, you need 80% overall AND 90% in your A2 modules unless doing maths which you are not so nvm that.

If you're unit marks are what you say they are then you should get your A*.
Original post by Dylann
x

They didn't aggregate my AS results + A2 results, it's GCE A level (4 units)

So I got transcripts for my A2 which showed an E with 97 UMS in Unit 3 and 86 UMS in Unit 4. My AS results (same board + subject) transcripts show 83 UMS on Unit 1 and 70 on Unit 2. So my exam officer just told me I got an A but the exam board are going to aggregate the results and send me an official transcript. So I think it's just the exam officer making the mistake on the calculations.
But if what you're saying is true I have an A* which is all I wanted to know really.
Reply 28

So I got transcripts for my A2 which showed an E with 97 UMS in Unit 3 and 86 UMS in Unit 4. My AS results (same board + subject) transcripts show 83 UMS on Unit 1 and 70 on Unit 2. So my exam officer just told me I got an A but the exam board are going to aggregate the results and send me an official transcript. So I think it's just the exam officer making the mistake on the calculations.
But if what you're saying is true I have an A* which is all I wanted to know really.

Yeah you probably do. Seems quite unprofessional of the exams officer - what if your requirement for university was A*A*A? Your place could have been taken up.
Original post by Mule
I thought you needed an A at AS to get an a*

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an A* in general studies with a C in AS hahaha (pointless I know but illustrates the point)
Reply 30

So what if they make a mistake other way round ? When you deserved a A but it says A* ...? Is that happening as well ? what then ?
Reply 31
Original post by GeogBerry
I got an A* in general studies with a C in AS hahaha (pointless I know but illustrates the point)

Same , i got a D in one of my sociology units....and that is just sad. But got an A* overall
So it should be an A* to your calculations?

Should I just wait until the certificate? My exam officer just told me I got an A but my transcripts suggest that it should be an A*. I thought I understood how the A* grade was calculated.

Does unit 3 carry the same weight as unit 4 in your A2 level? Also is there A2 coursework and if so how did you do in that? This may have brought the grade down. However, there is no harm talking to your school/college about it. They will be able to contact the awarding body directly. (As will you, if your school/college is non-cooperative.)
Original post by Meeka96
So what if they make a mistake other way round ? When you deserved a A but it says A* ...? Is that happening as well ? what then ?

Apparently it was just me. Everyones results went through smoothly. But I transferred school from AS to A2.

Original post by theOldBean
Does unit 3 carry the same weight as unit 4 in your A2 level? Also is there A2 coursework and if so how did you do in that? This may have brought the grade down. However, there is no harm talking to your school/college about it. They will be able to contact the awarding body directly. (As will you, if your school/college is non-cooperative.)

Well.. they're the UMS marks. So it's already weighted. There's 4 units, which I've stated all the outstanding UMS scores. I'm getting the official transcript from the exam board which should confirm the A* grade.
Original post by brendonbackflip
You didn't get an A at AS though, or am I just being thick? You got 70 + 84 = 154, its 160 for an A

Not for the first set of results I posted. I got a B at AS for that subject.
So much difficulty adding this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by student261
So much difficulty adding this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's likely to be human error from my exam officer calculating it or calculating an A* for A level requires a lot more mathematical ability than we assume.
Reply 37
Yes sorry for confusing you, I probably should have checked before I commented :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
couldn't it be a little bit higher than 90% if it's on the dot 90.0% it could be because it's like 1-2 marks more required.
Original post by Meeka96

This is totally false. I got an A* in A level classical civilisation with about 98% in one A2 module and about 84% in the other.

I think this has been established already, but, OP, you should get an A* with those scores.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest