Durham
Visit website
Grey for Physics :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by annieonamission
fellow pharmacist finally :u:

Hi!! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry ... somewhere! hopefully mary's but yet to hear anything from them :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by JosephT
Hi. Just wondering if anyone here missed their offer and still got a place? I met my offer but one of my modules is really low and my teacher is really keen to get it remarked. I'm terrified that if it went down (a lot) and my grade changed, I'd lose my place. This was for Philosophy. How lenient do you think they are this year?

Hey, sorry to hear you did badly in that module.

Well, remarks don't usually change the grade too drastically, so it shouldn't be too big a risk. However, if you're quite near the lower grade boundary, why take the risk anyway? And why bother in the first place? I mean you've already met your offer! :tongue: Especially when Durham are renowned for rejecting people who've missed their offers!
Reply 25
Hi,studying Geography at St. Cuthbert's. Does anyone know what happens after we send our AS12 to the University and how long it takes them to contact us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by An9ela
Yay! Another Johnian! :five:

Hello I'm in Snow although i won't be living in.
I'm studying Pharmacy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got into pharmacy with John Snow too! See you there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sneakysquirrel
Combined Honours in Arts at University College!

Thanks for making this thread, by the way!

Another Combined Honours Arts! Which subjects are you doing? :smile: I hear we don't have to pick modules until freshers, too, according to the Facebook group!

Original post by billy16
hey, I'll be studying modern languages at Butler :biggrin: feel so lucky to be going to Durham so soon!

Butler <3 So excited, loved it at the open days, favourite college by far!!
(edited 9 years ago)
My post probably gave it away, but I'm Combined Honours in Arts at Butler!! :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Reiss64
Hey, sorry to hear you did badly in that module.

Well, remarks don't usually change the grade too drastically, so it shouldn't be too big a risk. However, if you're quite near the lower grade boundary, why take the risk anyway? And why bother in the first place? I mean you've already met your offer! :tongue: Especially when Durham are renowned for rejecting people who've missed their offers!

I'm thinking about it because there's a possibility I could get an A* and because it really annoys me that AQA get away with so many mistakes because people like me don't want to risk our places by asking for a remark. To put it into context. My three other module marks for this subject were 87, 89 and 95. I got 66 (C) in this one module. I wasn't even considering it but my teacher is pushing for it.

I also have absolutely zero faith in AQA marking. I had two papers go up 8/9 marks last summer and a GCSE paper go up 13 marks (along with half my class). One friend had a French paper go from a C to an A because they didn't add it up right. The same friend had 2 music marks lost completely and got 0 for those papers.

However, I think I might have come up with a better option. I can request a copy of my paper and my teacher can see it before requesting a remark which is way less risky.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JosephT
I'm thinking about it because there's a possibility I could get an A* and because it really annoys me that AQA get away with so many mistakes because people like me don't want to risk our places by asking for a remark. To put it into context. My three other module marks for this subject were 87, 89 and 95. I got 66 (C) in this one module. I wasn't even considering it but my teacher is pushing for it.

However, I think I might have come up with a better option. I can request a copy of my paper and my teacher can see it before requesting a remark which is way less risky.

I read that this wasn't possible, that by the time the papers are received the remark deadline will have passed.
Reply 31
Original post by sophietheawesome
Sociology at Mary's!

I'm sociology too :smile: though I'm hopefully Butler's, I've not heard yet :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by Anny Smiles
Another Combined Honours Arts! Which subjects are you doing? :smile: I hear we don't have to pick modules until freshers, too, according to the Facebook group!

Butler <3 So excited, loved it at the open days, favourite college by far!!

Loved Butler's too, can't wait
Original post by Anny Smiles

Yay! A fellow CombHon! I’m planning on studying history, biology, and computer science my first year and would like to do that within the CombHon programme because my main interest is history but after looking in more detail at the modules for the science courses I wish to take (and are tied to the courses in the first year) I might have switch to NatSci (at least for year one) while continuing to make history a large component of my degree.
What about you?

And yeah, I think you’re right about not registering for modules until we get there. In fact, here’s some information from the department…

“The enrolment process includes the registration process, but, for students in the CH Arts and CH Social Sciences programmes, it is best to think of enrolment and registration as separate aspects of the overall process of entering the University. You can (and should) enrol as soon as possible, before you come to Durham, but you should not attempt to register until you are reasonably sure that you are choosing the right modules. In some programmes, there is little or no choice in the first year, and therefore students can make the few if any decisions which they are being required to make before they come to Durham. In the CH Arts and CH Social Sciences programmes, however, there is much more choice than in any other programmes, and you should not attempt to finalise your choice of modules, and so complete registration, until you understand the relation between your programme, your subjects, and the modules which you might study in those subjects. You should certainly start to research your choice of modules, using the Faculty Handbook Online at https://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/, long before you arrive. Unless there is a good reason for us to tell you otherwise, however, you should not submit your choices until you have attended Combined Honours Induction, and any appropriate departmental induction presentations, on the Monday and Tuesday of Induction Week. For further information and guidance, please see the Combined Honours Freshers Site in DUO.”

Best wishes!
Reply 34
Original post by Rock_Set
I read that this wasn't possible, that by the time the papers are received the remark deadline will have passed.

AQA have a priority service for getting scripts back.
Original post by katemaria
Hi there! :biggrin: I'll be studying Psychology at Hild Bede!

Any fellow non-UK students here?

yup! American living in Switzerland. Where are you from?
Original post by JosephT
AQA have a priority service for getting scripts back.

Ah, not sure what exam board my friend was talking about
Original post by sneakysquirrel
Yay! A fellow CombHon! I’m planning on studying history, biology, and computer science my first year and would like to do that within the CombHon programme because my main interest is history but after looking in more detail at the modules for the science courses I wish to take (and are tied to the courses in the first year) I might have switch to NatSci (at least for year one) while continuing to make history a large component of my degree.
What about you?

And yeah, I think you’re right about not registering for modules until we get there. In fact, here’s some information from the department…

“The enrolment process includes the registration process, but, for students in the CH Arts and CH Social Sciences programmes, it is best to think of enrolment and registration as separate aspects of the overall process of entering the University. You can (and should) enrol as soon as possible, before you come to Durham, but you should not attempt to register until you are reasonably sure that you are choosing the right modules. In some programmes, there is little or no choice in the first year, and therefore students can make the few if any decisions which they are being required to make before they come to Durham. In the CH Arts and CH Social Sciences programmes, however, there is much more choice than in any other programmes, and you should not attempt to finalise your choice of modules, and so complete registration, until you understand the relation between your programme, your subjects, and the modules which you might study in those subjects. You should certainly start to research your choice of modules, using the Faculty Handbook Online at https://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook/, long before you arrive. Unless there is a good reason for us to tell you otherwise, however, you should not submit your choices until you have attended Combined Honours Induction, and any appropriate departmental induction presentations, on the Monday and Tuesday of Induction Week. For further information and guidance, please see the Combined Honours Freshers Site in DUO.”

Best wishes!

That sounds cool! Very different from me, but that's the beauty of combined honours!

Theology, Education & Philosophy... mainly the first two, but I didn't want to do Education Studies with Theology because there wasn't enough flexibility! I was going to look into whether I could do BSL as I have an A in French at A Level, but I don't think the module is running this year </3

Ah, when do we get duo login?! That's super useful, and also really reassuring, I was a little concerned about ending up limited in later years if I don't choose pre-requisite modules!
Reply 38
I'm going to Mary's and I'm reading Chinese Studies! :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by ChloeBazingaa
Chemistry ... somewhere! hopefully mary's but yet to hear anything from them :frown:

Woo I'm Mary's too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending