The Student Room Group

Help- medicine offer but too scared!!

Hey guys,

I'm in a really big dillemma

I have a place at a medical school this year after years of convincing myself and WORKING my a*se off for it . Now, one problem, IM SCARED.

I am the biggest wuss when it comes to watching bloody horror movies, i can't watch 24 hours in A and E. I've convinced myself that I am scared of gore and the idea of putting in catheters and dissecting cadavers ( shivers)

BUT I STILL REALLY WANT TO BE A DOCTOR!!! I love working with people, i love the science behind medicine and i love the hospital environment- as weird as that may sound.

I really want this but don't know if i will be able to battle my inner self and if i can really test my self to this extent.

WHAT SHALL I DO? HOW CAN I OVERCOME THIS? IS IT SOMETHING I'LL GET USED TO?

Scroll to see replies

Force yourself to watch A&E programs haha!
Reply 2
I think a&e programs are very dramatized as well. As a doctor you'll probably care more about the welfare of your patients and making sure everything's done right to feel as bad as you do watching the a&e stuff.
Reply 3
Original post by student613
Force yourself to watch A&E programs haha!

good idea. Let's hope I remain conscious!
Original post by Murrray123
Hey guys,

I have a place at a medical school this year after years of convincing myself and WORKING my a*se off for it . Now, one problem, IM SCARED.

I am the biggest wuss when it comes to watching bloody horror movies, i can't watch 24 hours in A and E. I've convinced myself that I am scared of gore and the idea of putting in catheters and dissecting cadavers ( shivers)

BUT I STILL REALLY WANT TO BE A DOCTOR!!! I love working with people, i love the science behind medicine and i love the hospital environment- as weird as that may sound.

I really want this but don't know if i will be able to battle my inner self and if i can really test my self to this extent.

Have you done work experience?

I hate gory stuff on tv and get squeamish when i see surgery on tv and blood but when in front of me i'm fine and ive seen some really gory stuff on work experience.
Reply 5
Watch Doc Martin- and don't turn into a robot like Clunes' character
good idea. Let's hope I remain conscious!

I used to be squeamish but then I watched 9 seasons of greys anatomy and now literally nothing phases me at all hahaha
Reply 7
can i ask what you achieved in your a-levels? and which medical school is it?
Reply 8
Original post by Treen98
Watch Doc Martin- and don't turn into a robot like Clunes' character

Original post by student613
I used to be squeamish but then I watched 9 seasons of greys anatomy and now literally nothing phases me at all hahaha

haha! Sounds like a plan! Thank you so much guys, I really hope this works :smile: gotta love TSR
Reply 9
Original post by derma2019
Have you done work experience?

I hate gory stuff on tv and get squeamish when i see surgery on tv and blood but when in front of me i'm fine and ive seen some really gory stuff on work experience.

yes I have but not in surgical wards so I wasn't exposed to that kind of stuff!

Hopefully the same happens with me. I think it's because I rarely see any blood and gore in real life tbh so I'm not used to it
yes I have but not in surgical wards so I wasn't exposed to that kind of stuff!

Hopefully the same happens with me. I think it's because I rarely see any blood and gore in real life tbh so I'm not used to it

Dw youll adjust. I HATED smell of hospital at first now i dont even notice a smell pahaha!
Also, I hate prodding of eyes, so I fainted first time I saw eye surgery, now im ok with it.
Just need abit of exposure and getting used to.
Reply 11
Original post by errrr...
can i ask what you achieved in your a-levels? and which medical school is it?

I got AAA. God is so great man. I literally screwed up two of my exams (C4 WAS DEATH literally I failed) but because I retook some AS modules in maths, it bought it up.
You will get used to it with experience- I know tons of people who went into medical school really squeamish and came out absolutely fine dealing with it all. Don't let that stop you studying medicine as it (as you said) will be a new experience!

Oh, and congratulations on getting in! :biggrin:
My aunt did 2 years of medicine before she realised she couldn't stand blood and the atmosphere of the hospital. She came home crying almost everyday... Not everyone can make it to doctor I supposed. Anyway, I hope you think hard and make the right decision! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Dw youll adjust. I HATED smell of hospital at first now i dont even notice a smell pahaha!
Also, I hate prodding of eyes, so I fainted first time I saw eye surgery, now im ok with it.
Just need abit of exposure and getting used to.

Eyes are the worst! I don't know what it is about them that makes me extra squeamish! but i will definitely work in these fears one step at a time. Thanks
Eyes are the worst! I don't know what it is about them that makes me extra squeamish! but i will definitely work in these fears one step at a time. Thanks

good luck :smile:
which med school?
Reply 16
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
You will get used to it with experience- I know tons of people who went into medical school really squeamish and came out absolutely fine dealing with it all. Don't let that stop you studying medicine as it (as you said) will be a new experience!

Oh, and congratulations on getting in! :biggrin:

Thank you!!! Gosh you TSR people are so lovely. Need to come on here more often
Reply 17
good luck :smile:
which med school?

St George's. Thank you
I got AAA. God is so great man. I literally screwed up two of my exams (C4 WAS DEATH literally I failed) but because I retook some AS modules in maths, it bought it up.

if edexcel was your exam board for maths, then i can totally relate.
congratulations and i hope you get over your fear of blood quickly :smile:
Hey guys,

Ok - easy reject the offer and let someone who wants to do medicine take your place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending