The Student Room Group

Can I read law with these AS grades?

Hello everyone, I received my AS level results slip on Thursday and my grades were adequate, not the best but not the worst. The problem is that I want to either read law or read history and then convert to law.

My grades are as follows:

A - History
B - Politics
C - Philosophy
C - Geography (We have to drop a subject and I am dropping Geography)

So my question is, can I improve my grades next year to enable me to read law (e.g. History at an A/A* grade, Politics at an A/A* grade and Philosophy at an A grade) or, should I give up on law next year and focus on history or simply retake the exams that I did worst in and take a gap year?

How difficult would it be to get my grades up to a standard that would enable me to go to a Russell Group University to read law?

Scroll to see replies

You could definitely pull your grades up with some hard work. ABB should be able to get you into a Russell/1994 Group/Top 20 law school (heck people got into Bristol law with BBB this year. Plus that's pretty much what you need to meet most law firms minimum criteria.

In short, work hard and you can do it.
Reply 2
Original post by Elliott_Malik
Hello everyone, I received my AS level results slip on Thursday and my grades were adequate, not the best but not the worst. The problem is that I want to either read law or read history and then convert to law.

A - History
B - Politics
C - Philosophy

So my question is, can I improve my grades next year to enable me to read law (e.g. History at an A/A* grade, Politics at an A/A* grade and Philosophy at an A grade) or, should I give up on law next year and focus on history or simply retake the exams that I did worst in and take a gap year?

How difficult would it be to get my grades up to a standard that would enable me to go to a Russell Group University to read law?

My friend got ABCD last year at AS, and after resitting a couple of exams she's leaving college with AAA and a place at Cardiff University to study law! So it is definitely possible :smile:
Reply 3
Yes you can read law, but unless you show passion and knowledge in PS and interview it's unlikely you'll make the top unis. What are your A2 predictions?
Reply 4
Original post by Taylor.I
My friend got ABCD last year at AS, and after resitting a couple of exams she's leaving college with AAA and a place at Cardiff University to study law! So it is definitely possible :smile:

I just got ABCD in my AS too! I'm looking to do Law, do you know how many exams your friend had to redo? :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by simrunx
I just got ABCD in my AS too! I'm looking to do Law, do you know how many exams your friend had to redo? :colondollar:

She resat 3 exams, both Law and one RS :smile:
Original post by Dylann
Yes you can read law, but unless you show passion and knowledge in PS and interview it's unlikely you'll make the top unis. What are your A2 predictions?

I have no idea, we haven't been given them yet. But, my history will probably be an A* because it was an extremely solid A. I had a slight problem with my politics which lowered my overall exam grade (my exam timetable was wrong and I almost missed my exam) so I should get an A, my philosophy was problematic but the AS year is apparently the most difficult year so I should be predicted a B/A.
Original post by Dylann

I have no idea, we haven't been given them yet. But, my history will probably be an A* because it was an extremely solid A. I had a slight problem with my politics which lowered my overall exam grade (my exam timetable was wrong and I almost missed my exam) so I should get an A, my philosophy was problematic but the AS year is apparently the most difficult year so I should be predicted a B/A.

EDIT: I have never wanted to go to Oxbridge and I presume that these grades mean that I can't go anyway, so which other unis have been ruled out by these results?

What % was your History UMS? And AQA Philosophy?

A - History
B - Politics
C - Philosophy

Your predictions will be the main hurdle, I think. Particularly philosophy.
Reply 10
I recommend you to resit either or both of your subjects with a C. I had AABB in AS level and my grades unexpectedly dropped to straight Bs. And I had a hard time finding a place through clearing in a good university, let alone in law. Some would just say that there aren't any places left by just hearing that I didn't get get ABB but BBB lol. Anyways getting AAB-ABB will probably guarantee you to get into a top 30 uni! My friend resat her C and got a A* and is now in a well recognized uni
Original post by tomfailinghelp
What % was your History UMS? And AQA Philosophy?

Ok, slight mistake, my history wasn't that solid, only 162 UMS and Philosophy was 128 and so was quite weak. I have used a UMS calculator and apparently I need 192 UMS to push Philosophy up to an A overall and 158 UMS to keep my history at an A grade next year

I must confess that I only did the work that I needed to do, no more, no less and I am going to work much harder over the next year.

I am also prepared to resit the exams that I didn't do as well in/ask for them to be remarked and even to read history and then convert to law afterwards.

People who say 'read' instead of 'study' sound so pretentious. You can read law with those grades just not at the top unis.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
People who say 'read' instead of 'study' sound so pretentious. You can read law with those grades just not at the top unis.

What do you mean by 'top unis'? Is it entirely possible to go to a Russell group university still?

(Sorry I'm not the OP, I'm just curious)
Original post by Sacred Ground
What do you mean by 'top unis'? Is it entirely possible to go to a Russell group university still?

(Sorry I'm not the OP, I'm just curious)

By top uni we're talking your top 10 which will actually aid you in getting into a Law orientated profession. The industry is so over subscribed anything below the best is not considered good enough.
By top uni we're talking your top 10 which will actually aid you in getting into a Law orientated profession. The industry is so over subscribed anything below the best is not considered good enough.

I would disagree with that my father is a Barrister and he obviously knows quite a few other Barristers/Solicitors and they all say that even if the grades aren't the very best, a good interview will clinch the deal.
I would disagree with that my father is a Barrister and he obviously knows quite a few other Barristers/Solicitors and they all say that even if the grades aren't the very best, a good interview will clinch the deal.

Good luck in life, with that mindset. -_-

We're talking one of the most competitive fields of practice.
Good luck in life, with that mindset. -_-

We're talking one of the most competitive fields of practice.

I know and I'm talking about people who have 20+ years of experience. Anyway, I'm not just going to focus on a good interview, who would? The degree is the important thing.
Reply 18
I know and I'm talking about people who have 20+ years of experience. Anyway, I'm not just going to focus on a good interview, who would? The degree is the important thing.

A good interview will get you the deal. But its getting to the interview. Wherever you go make sure you get a 2:1 even if it costs you your right hand. I have a friend who got a 2:2 in her Law degree and no luck getting training contracts because the competition is just too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The whole 'going to a top 10/RGuni is the be all and end all' is such rubbish.
I know tons of people who went to a top 20 non RG uni and are now completing their training contracts.
I'm going to a top 20 RG uni for Law. Is it going to be hard to get a vacation scheme/training contract yes but it's so unlikely that it's just because of the uni. The whole fuss about russel group unis is pathetic in my opinion. My uni is higher than a lot of RG unis, will that put me at a disadvantage? No.
It's what YOU make of your opportunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest