The Student Room Group

People who say "read" instead of "study"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My sister says that and I keep telling her the word is study but she won't listen. Her English on the whole is pretty crap tbh.
Our college uses the term 'read' but they are a common school trying to be posh. Everyone in the place including the teachers just say study. Or in fact 'doing' is even more used. Eg, "I'm doing psychology at Salford" :biggrin:
Well I use both - never noticed that saying you're going to read something at university was a problem, only thought it was the normal, and more traditional, way of saying it. Is it really an issue?
Original post by 2710
I think writing it on Personal statement and cover letters, it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah nah mate.
You sound like an idiot getting so worked up about it.

'Read' is relevant terminology in the context of studying at University, it is what has always been said, and it is what many people will continue to say.

'Hurr durr posh pricks allow it' doesn't change anything, get over it.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Deep :frown:

How about if I'm predicted a 1st?

Well, assuming the course existed, it would likely be ata university nobody that matter cares about and a degree which works out at being a £27k piece of toilet paper (that nobody that matters cares about). Then going on to spend the rest of your life sponging off the benefits system costing hundreds of thousands of pounds.
It was formal British English for university study. It has acquired a somewhat archaic sound nowadays, but it's not that odd-sounding. For comparison's sake, consider went up. As in, "the year after Simon went up to Cambridge".

I don't particularly find it pretentious, but I probably only encounter it as casual argot used amongst people who graduated from Oxbridge so long ago that any brash pride has quite worn off.
(edited 9 years ago)
My parents say this and they are foreign

I don't care.
Reply 28
Lol I was thinking about this the other day. I've never heard people say it in real life though, only on TSR.
Reply 29
I'm going to be studying History in October so I think 'read' can be very appropriate in this case. Same goes for other essay degrees.
Reading is cringe, they only say it on university challenge
you sound like a massive pleb if you mention you're 'reading' for a subject
Reply 32
I think this is topic well worthy of not only take taking time to form a considered opinion, but also discussing.
Just to check:

An alternative definition of read is 'to study' or 'to understand'

Even if you break down the original definition of read: 'to look at and comprehend the meaning of <written text>'

The we're not far off. How can a disc drive 'read' a DVD if it doesn't have words written on it? If someone's coming through broken on a radio then you ask 'do you read me'

Things aren't always so literal. The traditional way to phrase a course of study at University, certainly before it became mainstream and perhaps had its value diluted, was to say you were 'reading X'. You sought to understand this subject in depth. You read it.
Original post by Ndella
I'm going to be studying History in October so I think 'read' can be very appropriate in this case. Same goes for other essay degrees.

Please don't use that term. Be proud of you parents aggregated financial status. Represent the working class.
Please don't use that term. Be proud of you parents aggregated financial status. Represent the working class.

im reading history of art at bristol, daddy is paying for my accomidation, oh what you are doing economics? Oh I hate economics, can't do maths... ITS TOO HARD, why would you do economics? Oh so you are like... obsessed with money or something, I hate that, I want to drop out the system.
I occasionally said I 'read' my degree/Tripos, didn't really think anything of the distinction to be honest, usually just said I 'did' my degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pussy Galore
lol vixen your such a :3

I'm such a vertical boobs with detached nipples? :lolwut:
Reply 38

What does a simple word have to do with my class? Just leave it lol
Original post by Vixen47
I'm such a vertical boobs with detached nipples? :lolwut:

do you have brown nipples?

Awkward moment when I passed. Although I can admit that my family is broke and I don't have the financial backing to say I will be reading a subject at university.

started from the bottom now we here, best of luck man

Quick Reply

Latest