The Student Room Group

The Average Joe's Thread - no rich snobbery allowed.

Kinda sick off all the snobbery on here mainly from students who are doing medicine/STEM and think they're entitled to peer down on us mere mortals from the top of mount academia..

So this thread has been set up by myself, a mere hard working peasant who had her chances snatched away by a mixture of daft parenting, mental health and a million other issues - and yes I have worked my butt off and got a place at a university I really like doing what I want to do, which I think is more important than any league table or prestige.

So, fellow 'paupers', discuss! Haha:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jhumfy
Kinda sick off all the snobbery on here mainly from students who are doing medicine/STEM and think they're entitled to peer down on us mere mortals from the top of mount academia..

So this thread has been set up by myself, a mere hard working peasant who had her chances snatched away by a mixture of daft parenting, mental health and a million other issues - and yes I have worked my butt off and got a place at a university I really like doing what I want to do, which I think is more important than any league table or prestige.

So, fellow 'paupers', discuss! Haha:biggrin:

What are you off to do at Uni mate? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Doomlar
What are you off to do at Uni mate? :smile:

Psychology and criminology, then planning to do a master's in forensic psychology :smile:
You're no average joe
Reply 4
Original post by Black Cat
You're no average joe

Is that a good or a bad thing haha?
I'm no rich snob I can tell you that :tongue:
I eat out occasionally and can afford nice things if I save.
I don't have to eat pasta daily. But I can't afford holidays.
should of worked harder peasant
Reply 7
Original post by jhumfy
Psychology and criminology, then planning to do a master's in forensic psychology :smile:

Sounds cool, something you've always wanted to do or? :smile:
I think that the term "Average Joe" is a little degrading. :tongue: I'm sure that you guys are doing well though. Make the most of everything! :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jhumfy
Is that a good or a bad thing haha?
I'm no rich snob I can tell you that :tongue:

Good thing
Nobody is rich on TSR most of us are well off but not rich.
Reply 10
Original post by Doomlar
Sounds cool, something you've always wanted to do or? :smile:

I've always had an interest in it, more recently decided that I'd like to have a career in that field though. :biggrin:
Original post by keromedic
I eat out occasionally and can afford nice things if I save.
I don't have to eat pasta daily. But I can't afford holidays.

are you gay or just bi
get back to work serfs

:getmecoat:
Original post by Pussy Galore
are you gay or just bi

Why do you ask?

Women need not apply :smile:.
Original post by jhumfy
I've always had an interest in it, more recently decided that I'd like to have a career in that field though. :biggrin:

Awesome, I hope you really enjoy the course mate! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by karmacrunch
I think that he term "Average Joe" is a little degrading. :tongue: I'm sure everyone is doing well though. Make the most of everything! :redface:

I meant it sarcastically, since I've seen quite a few threads/posts recently degrading people who don't get into the top 5 unis or study STEM subjects, which annoys me because it doesn't mean these people are any less clever, they've just made different choices :s-smilie:
Original post by Pussy Galore
average joanne, there happy now

Not really. Thay wasn't my point. Why would you want to call yourself 'average' or say that 'I'm happy with being average?' :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing a STEM degree but I'm neither rich nor snobby am I allowed in? :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm doing a STEM degree but I'm neither rich nor snobby am I allowed in? :frown:

Yes you are hahaha
Family isn't rich but we're wealthy oh wait that's snobbish.

STEM>others
Don't fight it. Accept it haha

Quick Reply

Latest