The Student Room Group

People who say "read" instead of "study"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Incubator
I'd just like to point something out. You're a Muslim right? Is it not har'am to study Rib'a?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riba

This is not an AMA thread.

To answer your questions yes & no, respectively.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
This is not an AMA thread.

To answer your questions yes & no, respectively.

Let me answer the question for you. You clearly are studying it with the intent to take part in it. #Hypocrite
Reply 62
They went... :K::lol:

I'm not comfortable sharing my results on here, however.

You can find them at the bottom of this page

Spoiler

****ing hell, you smashed it...:gasp:
Original post by Incubator
Let me answer the question for you. You clearly are studying it with the intent to take part in it. #Hypocrite

How unfortunate :frown:

Really.. I'm going to go to cry now
Original post by AnharM
****ing hell, you smashed it...:gasp:

:K: lol, admittedly better than expected

take a gap year and reapply to ucl, lse, ox/bridge?
Reply 66

Well done bro, I would advise you to take a gap year and get yourself into Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick/Imperial (target unis) instead of Cass, but if you really like the course, then go for it.

Any chance of teaching me about the stock markets and stuff, or giving me any websites for me to read, or any books? I just don't understand how you got all this information from? Investopedia uses a lot of technical words I don't understand
Original post by Table dust
take a gap year and reapply to ucl, lse, ox/bridge?

I'm perfectly content with my current firms course :biggrin:
Don't really care tbh same meaning
My papa always says 'read' instead of study. It'll always take me a few secs to click if I'm with him and he's telling people that his granddaughter is 'reading biology at uni'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnharM
Well done bro, I would advise you to take a gap year and get yourself into Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick/Imperial (target unis) instead of Cass, but if you really like the course, then go for it.

Any chance of teaching me about the stock markets and stuff, or giving me any websites for me to read, or any books? I just don't understand how you got all this information from? Investopedia uses a lot of technical words I don't understand

Documentaries / Books (financial markets & institutions is a good place to start) / General reading up on what all the abbreviations & terms mean / Setup a virtual trading account (equities/forex) and play about with it / Read up on some economics books both micro & macro / look into derivatives to get a flavour of the theory behind managing risk / learn how to read 10ks (balance sheets) / get yourself into some insight events to network & get advice from industry professionals / come up with your own trading strategies

There's a lot you can do. Be intuitive..
Original post by Yasmin25
My papa always says 'read' instead of study. It'll always take me a few secs to click if I'm with him and he's telling people that his granddaughter is 'reading biology at uni'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's alright when old people say it.. they probably don't comprehend how stupid it sounds.
Documentaries / Books (financial markets & institutions is a good place to start) / General reading up on what all the abbreviations & terms mean / Setup a virtual trading account (equities/forex) and play about with it / Read up on some economics books both micro & macro / look into derivatives to get a flavour of the theory behind managing risk / learn how to read 10ks (balance sheets) / get yourself into some insight events to network & get advice from industry professionals / come up with your own trading strategies

There's a lot you can do. Be intuitive..

Congratz man. You and a few people make TSR worth coming to. I remember you thought you did a little well in AS and it was unexpected but ****ing congratz at smashing the A levels man. You literally killed it!
Original post by toxiictests
Congratz man. You and a few people make TSR worth coming to. I remember you thought you did a little well in AS and it was unexpected but ****ing congratz at smashing the A levels man. You literally killed it!

Haha thanks :rolleyes:

A little sacrifice and hard work goes along way. If it weren't for TSR I don't think I'd have the motivation to even try. A lot of people on here are so hard working, it's just a nice environment for motivation.
Sounds perfectly fine. Perfectly normal thing to say, tbh.
That was a pretty strong indirect. Far bigger problems in the world.
It doesn't offend me when someone says it but it warns me that there is a higher than normal chance that I won't like said person.
Original post by Rlove95
That was a pretty strong indirect. Far bigger problems in the world.

Lol, yes.. it was inspired by another recent thread. Although, it's just in general when talking face to face with someone and they say they're going to "read" a subject.. :K:

...Oook
It's a traditional figure of speech, nothing else.
In punjabi, "Are you studying" is more like "parnah eh ?" ie: "Are you reading" so it's not just about being pretentious etc... For some, it's a language barrier thing

Quick Reply