The Student Room Group

Got a D and 2 Es but don't want to resit.

I got a D in Maths and 2 Es in Physics and Computing, these grades are horrible and I don't want to resit the whole year (I'd prefer doing all exams in the same year) so that I can go to Uni next year, what would you guys suggest me? Do you think the teachers would give me good predicted grades (something like CCC?) so that I can make it to Uni?
Original post by Exaltation
I got a D in Maths and 2 Es in Physics and Computing, these grades are horrible and I don't want to resit the whole year (I'd prefer doing all exams in the same year) so that I can go to Uni next year, what would you guys suggest me? Do you think the teachers would give me good predicted grades (something like CCC?) so that I can make it to Uni?

Firstly, your teachers can only reasonably predict you up a single grade from your AS results, otherwise the universities won't believe them. So they might be able to predict you CDD, but definitely not CCC.

If you think you'll be able to devote enough time for your A2s and AS levels next year (bearing in mind A2s are more difficult than AS), you could resit them next year. However, that's an incredible amount of work. Whilst I completely understand why you wouldn't want to retake the year, if you really want to get to Uni, it might not be a bad idea.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Firstly, your teachers can only reasonably predict you up a single grade from your AS results, otherwise the universities won't believe them. So they might be able to predict you CDD, but definitely not CCC.

If you think you'll be able to devote enough time for your A2s and AS levels next year (bearing in mind A2s are more difficult than AS), you could resit them next year. However, that's an incredible amount of work. Whilst I completely understand why you wouldn't want to retake the year, if you really want to get to Uni, it might not be a bad idea.

I forgot to tell, I'm pretty certain I will get predicted two Cs. Its the Physics grade that I am worried about, I will resit both units so I really hope my teacher lets me have a C predicted in that.

What's the deal with foundation years? Are they a lot harder than A Levels? What about their fundings? Does it cost 9000 pounds for that as well? And do you know what happens if you fail the foundation year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
My AS results were CCDEU, I resat one AS exam from each subject in year 13, worked really hard in the build up to my 11 exams and got into my firm with B's and C's as my A2 results. I also did a full A-level in general studies to boost my ucas points up.

Depending on what you want to do at uni you may be able to find a course at a perfectly decent uni (like Bangor -where I have my place) without top grades
It doesn't matter what your predicted grades are. You have to be real with yourself and your capabilities. You got CDD first time around and A2 is non-arguably more challenging. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.
Reply 5

DEE?

Honestly people on TSR will be mean to you I know someone who got DDD (as level) and was predicted BBB. He got an offer from queen Mary and got in with BBC

The fact that you know you what you need to do to get better grades is a start! Don't give up!

Each college with have a limit to what they predict so if they believe you can they will predict you something realistic but some teachers require you to prove it. I had to do a maths mock and get an A in order to get my predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Expecting to improve by 5 grades with over twice the workload of AS comes across as unrealistic and your teachers' acknowledgement of this will be reflected in your predicted grades. You're better off resitting to improve your AS results rather than hoping for a prediction that you most likely won't get and won't be taken seriously if given.
Reply 7
If you are sure that your teachers will predict you CCC I say it is worth taking a chance, only if you think you are determined enough to really achieve those grades. Also it depends on what university and what course you want to apply for.

However, if you are worried about re-sitting the whole year, from a long term perspective, a year will be wasted in your career at some point anyway; why not utilise it to build strong bases because lets face it, if you get into university, you still have to get a job and these days competition doesn't just end on entering a university. You have to be from a good institution at the same time.
Reply 8

Hi I'm sure you'll improve next year, but if you don't get your required grades you could think about doing a degree with a foundation year. They usually take 4 years to complete and they give you a really good basis to enter the 3 year degree. With most foundation years you need to pass the course, then you are guaranteed a place in your chosen subject. Doing a foundation year will prevent you from having to resit a levels, and will have a huge focus on getting you ready for your degree more than a levels do.
I think you need to ask yourself why you got those grades and whether you can realistically do MUCH better than that. I cannot offer help on your question as I have no idea if your teachers will up your predicted grades. Perhaps the subjects you are taking are not for you? I wish you luck.
Start filling out that McDonald's application boy.
Reply 11
Even if you don't get the predictions

Work hard and go through clearing/adjustment

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it seems bleek now but just be thankful that you have the chance to redeem yourself next year. I was in a similar position to you last year. At AS I got B (Geography) C (Maths) D (Physics). With serious determination and EFFECTIVE REVISION on the 14th of AUG I got my final A2's A in Maths A in Physics B in Geography. I went from a D to A in physics. In the end you realise A levels are not hard as you think, in my honest opinion the exams are not a test of intelligence but a test of tactics.
I didnt have jan exams at AS or A2. It is possible to completely boost your grades but you need to find that drive, turn that disappointment into pure determination.
I can give you some excellent revision tips if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
It doesn't matter what your predicted grades are. You have to be real with yourself and your capabilities. You got CDD first time around and A2 is non-arguably more challenging. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

It does matter what he's predicted, those grades are very likely not what he is truly capable of. It gives him a goal to strive for. Many people at AS don't do well, not for a lack of effort but not enough effective revision as I've learned. He understands himself and knows what he is truly capable of. You will be surprised at the number of people I know who have turned D/E's to A/A*s from AS (including myself) this year and years prior. CCC is more than achievable. The key thing for him is to carefully analyse where he went wrong and change his revision tactics.

Instead of being pessimistic give encouragement. :wink:
Original post by FailedYear12
It does matter what he's predicted, those grades are very likely not what he is truly capable of. It gives him a goal to strive for. Many people at AS don't do well, not for a lack of effort but not enough effective revision as I've learned. He understands himself and knows what he is truly capable of. You will be surprised at the number of people I know who have turned D/E's to A/A*s from AS (including myself) this year and years prior. CCC is more than achievable. The key thing for him is to carefully analyse where he went wrong and change his revision tactics.

Instead of being pessimistic give encouragement. :wink:

The amount of people this year in my school who were given inflated grades and then didn't meet them. They thought the same as well. But the likely reality is if you're getting D/Es you need to take a step back and evaluate what the hell you're doing.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
The amount of people this year in my school who were given inflated grades and then didn't meet them. They thought the same as well. But the likely reality is if you're getting D/Es you need to take a step back and evaluate what the hell you're doing.

I was given inflated grades. Crazily inflated in fact and I met them quite confortably. Got into my first choice. In my opinion anybody can recover a deficit its very common at A level, that's why I don't really rate the qualification too highly but its important nevertheless. Those people who 'you know' that didnt recover, didn't want to improve and didnt care. I went from a D in Physics at AS to an A at A2. Anything is possible if you really want it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doubt they'd predict you CCC, but you never know...urm I'd retake the year if I was you, resitting so many exams could have a major impact on how you perform in your A2 exams, which you definitely don't want.
Reply 18
I just hope I get 240 UCAS points minimum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest