The Student Room Group

What are the requirements for an A* at A-Level?

I've read it's 80% in AS and 90% in A2, but that is from an article in 2009 when the A* grades were first introduced. Has it changed since then? If so, what are the requirements now?
Original post by betweentheclocks
I've read it's 80% in AS and 90% in A2, but that is from an article in 2009 when the A* grades were first introduced. Has it changed since then? If so, what are the requirements now?

This is close, but not completely correct. You need 80% overall, and 90% in your A2 units.
Original post by Chlorophile
This is close, but not completely correct. You need 80% overall, and 90% in your A2 units.

Brilliant, thanks!
Reply 3
Brilliant, thanks!

Except for maths, which (depending on Exam boards) is usually an A overall, with 90%+ in C3 and C4.

You don't need an A at AS-level to get an A* (you can get a C at AS-level and get an A*, but not an A ;P)
Original post by Dylann
Except for maths, which (depending on Exam boards) is usually an A overall, with 90%+ in C3 and C4.

You don't need an A at AS-level to get an A* (you can get a C at AS-level and get an A*, but not an A ;P)

That's why I said A2 units. C3 and C4 are the only A2 units for ordinary maths.
Reply 5
That's why I said A2 units. C3 and C4 are the only A2 units for ordinary maths.

Well in all other a-levels it is 90% across all A2 units, but maths it's only C3 and C4 (i.e. you can get below 90% overall A2 units but still get an A*) - that's why you have to confirm it's only C3 and C4 (90 in both C3 and C4 and 83 in S2 is not 90% average in A2 units. Here S2 is your third A2 unit)
Original post by Dylann

Wow! Now that's not very logical :tongue:
Original post by Dylann
Well in all other a-levels it is 90% across all A2 units, but maths it's only C3 and C4 (i.e. you can get below 90% overall A2 units but still get an A*) - that's why you have to confirm it's only C3 and C4 (90 in both C3 and C4 and 83 in S2 is not 90% average in A2 units. Here S2 is your third A2 unit)

I know, that's why I said A2 units :P In all other A-Levels, all of the modules in Year 13 are A2 units. In Maths, the only units that count as A2 units are C3-4, M2+, S2+, FP2+ and D2.

But true!
Reply 8

It's because if you get a C at AS-level, you need 90%+ in A2 to get the A overall. But since you got 90% in A2 it automatically upgrades to an A*

But true!

Indeed! Is there a reason for this? So, I know an A is usually 80%+ at AS, so if you get a C, which is, say 60%, you can still get an A* even though you can only realistically get 75% overall with 90%+ at A2?
Indeed! Is there a reason for this? So, I know an A is usually 80%+ at AS, so if you get a C, which is, say 60%, you can still get an A* even though you can only realistically get 75% overall with 90%+ at A2?

A C is 60-69%. If you got 65% at AS (a C) and 95% at A2, you'd have 80% as an average, thus fulfilling the A* criteria. If you got 60% (the lowest possible C) then it's still theoretically possible to get an A*, but you'd need 100% at A2.
A C is 60-69%. If you got 65% at AS (a C) and 95% at A2, you'd have 80% as an average, thus fulfilling the A* criteria. If you got 60% (the lowest possible C) then it's still theoretically possible to get an A*, but you'd need 100% at A2.

Wow, that's crazy, cos you'd need 90%+ to get an A, so it's virtually impossible to get an A if you got a C at AS?

I wonder why it's so complicated. I'm sure 90% in the first year and 90% in the second year would suffice as an A* in every case instead of being able to get Cs and Bs and pull it up to an A* overall.

It hasn't changed but Chlorophile is correct. However, '90% in your A2 units' can lad to confusion - you don't need to get 90% in each A2 unit. You may find it easier to think of it as
(4 unit A levels) At least 320 overall and 180/200 in the A2 units
(6 unit A levels) At least 480 overall and 270/300 in the A2 units.
i.e. it doesn't matter how those marks are spread round the units as long as you fulfil the criteria above.

(Maths and Further maths are slightly different).
Original post by Compost
It hasn't changed but Chlorophile is correct. However, '90% in your A2 units' can lad to confusion - you don't need to get 90% in each A2 unit. You may find it easier to think of it as
(4 unit A levels) At least 320 overall and 180/200 in the A2 units
(6 unit A levels) At least 480 overall and 270/300 in the A2 units.
i.e. it doesn't matter how those marks are spread round the units as long as you fulfil the criteria above.

(Maths and Further maths are slightly different).

Thanks very much! So much more emphasis is put onto the A2 results, I see.

I originally thought it was 90% in both years and I was disappointed, because my lowest score this year was 89% and I thought this meant I wouldn't be able to at least aim for an A* next year. I know it probably won't be predicted an A* because it isn't 90%+, but I'm sure this means I'm still able to reach an A* next year? Even though I've done all of the calculations and know that it's possible, I still look for other people's opinions in case I've got it wrong :tongue:
Thanks very much! So much more emphasis is put onto the A2 results, I see.

I originally thought it was 90% in both years and I was disappointed, because my lowest score this year was 89% and I thought this meant I wouldn't be able to at least aim for an A* next year. I know it probably won't be predicted an A* because it isn't 90%+, but I'm sure this means I'm still able to reach an A* next year? Even though I've done all of the calculations and know that it's possible, I still look for other people's opinions in case I've got it wrong :tongue:

Don't worry, it sounds as though you have a decent chance at an A* next year.
Original post by Compost
Don't worry, it sounds as though you have a decent chance at an A* next year.

Thanks very much for your help!
Does this apply for bio, chem & psychology?
Original post by Elhamm
Does this apply for bio, chem & psychology?

The rules are the same for all A levels except maths ones.

Quick Reply

Latest