The Student Room Group

HELP! English remark

Hi,

I recently received my A2 grades to find that I got a C in English, with a D (68 ums) in the exam. I was really shocked as I thought It had gone well and in all of my mocks I achieved As/Bs and a B in AS. I've been told that English can be quite subjective so I was wondering if it was worth getting a remark?

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jophesxi
Hi,

I recently received my A2 grades to find that I got a C in English, with a D (58 ums) in the exam. I was really shocked as I thought It had gone well and in all of my mocks I achieved As/Bs and a B in AS. I've been told that English can be quite subjective so I was wondering if it was worth getting a remark?

Thanks!

What was your overall mark, i.e. how close are you to the B/C and C/D grade boundaries?
Hi,

I recently received my A2 grades to find that I got a C in English, with a D (58 ums) in the exam. I was really shocked as I thought It had gone well and in all of my mocks I achieved As/Bs and a B in AS. I've been told that English can be quite subjective so I was wondering if it was worth getting a remark?

Thanks!

If you're prepared to take the risk then by all means go ahead! :smile: English is indeed very subjective so there's a chance your mark could go up! Best of luck, I hope you get the grade you feel you deserve if you do go ahead with it :h:

Which board, out of curiosity? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
What was your overall mark, i.e. how close are you to the B/C and C/D grade boundaries?

Sorry, I made an error in my first post, it was 68 UMS that I got. I think I might have been 2 UMS off of a C in the exam and 3 UMS from a B overall (I got 277 UMS)
Reply 4
Original post by Changing Skies
If you're prepared to take the risk then by all means go ahead! :smile: English is indeed very subjective so there's a chance your mark could go up! Best of luck, I hope you get the grade you feel you deserve if you do go ahead with it :h:

Which board, out of curiosity? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I was pretty devastated as it was so unexpected, haha, I don't know if I missed part of a question or was just completely off the mark? :L Thanks so much! :smile:

AQA :smile:
Reply 5
Sorry, I made an error in my first post, it was 68 UMS that I got. I think I might have been 2 UMS off of a C in the exam and 3 UMS from a B overall (I got 277 UMS)

You could get a copy of the script back first for a teacher's view on the marking, but as English marking is subjective it may not be worth the trouble. If you're only 3 off the B overall then you have a 17 mark cushion over getting a D overall and I'd think the re-mark is worth trying. You get a full refund if the grade changes.
Thanks! I was pretty devastated as it was so unexpected, haha, I don't know if I missed part of a question or was just completely off the mark? :L Thanks so much! :smile:

AQA :smile:

I felt the same with a history module so I know the feeling :frown: that's the annoying thing, not knowing :redface: you're welcome :smile:

Ah what a surprise, people always have issues with AQA English :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
You could get a copy of the script back first for a teacher's view on the marking, but as English marking is subjective it may not be worth the trouble. If you're only 3 off the B overall then you have a 17 mark cushion over getting a D overall and I'd think the re-mark is worth trying. You get a full refund if the grade changes.

Thanks for your help :smile: I think I may try for a remark and see how it goes, hopefully I won't drop another 17 ums, haha :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Changing Skies
I felt the same with a history module so I know the feeling :frown: that's the annoying thing, not knowing :redface: you're welcome :smile:

Ah what a surprise, people always have issues with AQA English :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, are you getting it remarked? :smile:

Do they? Haha, I had no idea. Hopefully they were just feeling particularly mean that day!
Ahh, are you getting it remarked? :smile:

Do they? Haha, I had no idea. Hopefully they were just feeling particularly mean that day!

Probably not, as sad as I am about it :tongue:

Yep! I've heard of many unexpected results :tongue: yeah :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Compost

17 marks? I thought the boundary for a C was 240? So surely Jophesxi is 37 ums over the D grade boundary?

I'm on 276 for English myself and am thinking of getting a remark :smile:
Original post by LeoHX4
17 marks? I thought the boundary for a C was 240? So surely Jophesxi is 37 ums over the D grade boundary?

My mistake - confused with another similar thread. I thought this was AS where there are only 20 between grades.
Reply 12
I was expecting an A in the AQA English language exam and got a C -__-... I may get it remarked as I need an A overall next year and I have only attained a B overall at AS.
Hi,

I recently received my A2 grades to find that I got a C in English, with a D (68 ums) in the exam. I was really shocked as I thought It had gone well and in all of my mocks I achieved As/Bs and a B in AS. I've been told that English can be quite subjective so I was wondering if it was worth getting a remark?

Thanks!

I got an A overall and a d in the exam, I'm getting script returned (I still got my place) and my teacher is a qualified marker so will be able to tell me whether to send off for remark, it was very unexpected so I'm hoping its a marling error. Our school has had 4 consecutive marking disasters with AQA and several whole year remarks so i would if its a safe option. In these disasters people have gone from D to A - sarcastic applause for AQA marking standards-
Reply 14
Original post by Starrydog
I got an A overall and a d in the exam, I'm getting script returned (I still got my place) and my teacher is a qualified marker so will be able to tell me whether to send off for remark, it was very unexpected so I'm hoping its a marling error. Our school has had 4 consecutive marking disasters with AQA and several whole year remarks so i would if its a safe option. In these disasters people have gone from D to A - sarcastic applause for AQA marking standards-

Well done on your A, that's fantastic! Were you doing Lit and Lang A too? Really? That's dreadful, how can they get away with being so far off with their grades! I really hope it was a mistake, was so devastated, only exam I thought had actually gone well! Good luck with yours!
Reply 15
Original post by LeoHX4

Oh, thank goodness! Then it really is worth remarking (Unless they decide to be especially mean and take away half of my score, haha). I'm definitely remarking, are you? If you are, good luck! :smile:
Well done on your A, that's fantastic! Were you doing Lit and Lang A too? Really? That's dreadful, how can they get away with being so far off with their grades! I really hope it was a mistake, was so devastated, only exam I thought had actually gone well! Good luck with yours!

Thanks! Thankfully my courseware was good enough! I did Literature only, I am happy with my grade but do want the exam do go up just because it is so unreflective of my effort!
Reply 17
Original post by Starrydog
Thanks! Thankfully my courseware was good enough! I did Literature only, I am happy with my grade but do want the exam do go up just because it is so unreflective of my effort!

That's good! I was really pleased with my coursework and got a high A. I feel the same, I put in so much effort all year and then came out with a D, which has never happened with any of my A2 english mocks!
Reply 18
Oh, thank goodness! Then it really is worth remarking (Unless they decide to be especially mean and take away half of my score, haha). I'm definitely remarking, are you? If you are, good luck! :smile:

Thanks, good luck to you too! Glad to hear you've decided on a remark! :smile: I really think you stand a good chance of your mark increasing, or remaining the same at least. From the sounds of things, with regards to your mocks and marks in your other English modules, unit 3 was harshly marked.

The unit I'm getting remarked is d grade too, with the others being bbb.
Reply 19
My university place has been confirmed but say if I went ahead with a remark and my mark did in fact go down, would this mean the uni could withdraw my place? I doubt it would go down a whole grade but ums wise, it could drop.

Quick Reply

Latest