The Student Room Group

I've been given a C where I should have an A

I've just got my A level results and I'm very pleased, but there's one area where I feel cheated by my board, Edexcel.

Last year I took AS maths, and this year on top of A2 maths I decided to give AS further maths (ASFM) a go, so I took 3 extra units this year. I've listed all units taken, the year taken, UMS and grade of each unit below.

C1 - 2013 - 95 - a
C2 - 2013 - 85 - a
C3 - 2014 - 100 - a
C4 - 2014 - 80 - a
M1 - 2013 - 97 - a
M2 - 2014 - 76 - b
S1 - 2014 - 76 - b
S2 - 2014 - 51 - d
FP1 - 2014 - 74 - b

So I've got exactly an A* in maths (180 in C3 and C4). What I believe to be the case is that the applied units are distributed to give the highest grades in both maths and ASFM. This could be done by putting S1 and S2 in maths, and M1 and M2 in ASFM giving total UMS scores of 487 and 247 which would give A*a. However, what the board has done is maximise my maths UMS, putting M1 and M2 (or S1, I can't tell) in maths and the rest in ASFM giving UMS of 533 and 201 so A*c.

This seemed ridiculous so I asked my examinations officer and head of department about it and they said that they would ask Edexcel to change it, but that because M1 was taken last year and was already part of my maths AS grade I wouldn't be able to move it to ASFM, but they would ask to get A*b by putting S2 in my maths bit.

I feel this is wrong and unfair and I'm looking for advice as to what to do about it.

To quote the specification (page 107):
Edexcel
The best available result for each contributing unit will count towards the final grade.
After certification all unit results may be reused to count towards a new award.
Results of units held in the Edexcel unit bank have a shelf life limited only by the shelf life of this specification.

Help? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd would ring or ask your school to ring you have a pretty good arguments and I'm sure this usually happens a lot
Original post by adi19956
I've just got my A level results and I'm very pleased, but there's one area where I feel cheated by my board, Edexcel.

Last year I took AS maths, and this year on top of A2 maths I decided to give AS further maths (ASFM) a go, so I took 3 extra units this year. I've listed all units taken, the year taken, UMS and grade of each unit below.

C1 - 2013 - 95 - a
C2 - 2013 - 85 - a
C3 - 2014 - 100 - a
C4 - 2014 - 80 - a
M1 - 2013 - 97 - a
M2 - 2014 - 76 - b
S1 - 2014 - 76 - b
S2 - 2014 - 51 - d
FP1 - 2014 - 74 - b

So I've got exactly an A* in maths (180 in C3 and C4). What I believe to be the case is that the applied units are distributed to give the highest grades in both maths and ASFM. This could be done by putting S1 and S2 in maths, and M1 and M2 in ASFM giving total UMS scores of 487 and 247 which would give A*a. However, what the board has done is maximise my maths UMS, putting M1 and M2 (or S1, I can't tell) in maths and the rest in ASFM giving UMS of 533 and 201 so A*c.

This seemed ridiculous so I asked my examinations officer and head of department about it and they said that they would ask Edexcel to change it, but that because M1 was taken last year and was already part of my maths AS grade I wouldn't be able to move it to ASFM, but they would ask to get A*b by putting S2 in my maths bit.

I feel this is wrong and unfair and I'm looking for advice as to what to do about it.

I'd talk to the school and the board, I'm not an expert but if your school HASN'T cashed in your AS maths last year I'm pretty sure you should be able to move M1 to ASFM.

If they've already cashed in though you're stuck, as you can't have a 2 module (i.e. S2 or M2) without having done the first module for Maths (so you could only put S1 or M2 into Maths, NOT s2), which would have you getting a C either way

I was in the same position this year wanting to put s3 in normal maths but wasn't able to
Reply 3
Original post by leinad2012
I'd talk to the school and the board, I'm not an expert but if your school HASN'T cashed in your AS maths last year I'm pretty sure you should be able to move M1 to ASFM.

If they've already cashed in though you're stuck, as you can't have a 2 module (i.e. S2 or M2) without having done the first module for Maths (so you could only put S1 or M2 into Maths, NOT s2), which would have you getting a C either way

I was in the same position this year wanting to put s3 in normal maths but wasn't able to

I didn't even think of cashing in! That's a bummer. I wonder if I can apply to recertify the award with different units. I feel I was given bad advice and severely misled on this subject by my teachers who knew I was purposely going to do less well in S2 and confirmed what I thought should happen. I do indeed have a certificate for my maths AS level so it is cashed in I supposed.
I didn't even think of cashing in! That's a bummer. I wonder if I can apply to recertify the award with different units. I feel I was given bad advice and severely misled on this subject by my teachers who knew I was purposely going to do less well in S2 and confirmed what I thought should happen. I do indeed have a certificate for my maths AS level so it is cashed in I supposed.

I'm not sure on how the cashing in process works, I just know at my school they cashed in some but not all maths and further maths AS as they wanted there to be as much flexibility with maximizing grades as possible.

It seems like a real flaw in the system tbh, considering you're probably going to end up with a C when you could have gotten an A if you'd taken the exams in a different order :angry: I guess removing AS exams may actually be useful for something afterall!
Reply 5

C1 - 2013 - 95 - a
C2 - 2013 - 85 - a
C3 - 2014 - 100 - a
C4 - 2014 - 80 - a
M1 - 2013 - 97 - a
M2 - 2014 - 76 - b
S1 - 2014 - 76 - b
S2 - 2014 - 51 - d
FP1 - 2014 - 74 - b

If the school cashes everything in again this season (and it's not too late to do this - the deadline is 20 Sep) then the units can be moved round to give you the best grades.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
If the school cashes everything in again this season (and it's not too late to do this - the deadline is 20 Sep) then the units can be moved round to give you the best grades.

Is that even if my AS maths was cashed in last year?
Original post by Compost

Compost is right. Your school should have re-cashed in your AS Maths so that the units are "unlocked" from the Maths qualification and so can go into AS FM. Ask them to do so.

Don't blame the board, it is your school (and several of the posters above) who don't know the rules.

This is a completely different situation. The only pairs of applied units that can go into A level Maths are M1, M2 or S1, S2 or D1, D2 or M1,S1 or M1, D1 or S1, D1.
Reply 9

Yes.
Original post by tiny hobbit
This is a completely different situation. The only pairs of applied units that can go into A level Maths are M1, M2 or S1, S2 or D1, D2 or M1,S1 or M1, D1 or S1, D1.

I mean in the respect that I would have wanted to put s3 into Maths A2 but couldn't in the same way op wanted to put s2 in but couldn't. I know for different reasons, you can't have a 3 module in Maths as it doesn't run.

Also, I said I was unsure on the cashing in rules, but if results had already been fully cashed in then a C was the best possible result (like I say I'm no expert, who would want to be?!)

Sorry if my post didn't meet your pedantic requirements I was merely trying to help op in whatever limited way I could...:frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11

Hi
Don't know if this is useful.
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/docs/certification-advice.pdf

I think schools generally cash in again to certificate A levels to optimize your grades for M and FM.
I didn't know until today that certain combinations of units are /are not allowed (eg not M2 and S1), except for knowing about the C1-4 and 180 UMS from C3, C4. Learn something new every day eh!
Does anyone have a link to edexcel page giving the info about combinations? Thankyou. :smile:

Doh! I just found it in the specification: :smile: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by tiny hobbit
Compost is right. Your school should have re-cashed in your AS Maths so that the units are "unlocked" from the Maths qualification and so can go into AS FM. Ask them to do so.

Don't blame the board, it is your school (and several of the posters above) who don't know the rules.

I mean in the respect that I would have wanted to put s3 into Maths A2 but couldn't in the same way op wanted to put s2 in but couldn't. I know for different reasons, you can't have a 3 module in Maths as it doesn't run.

Also, I said I was unsure on the cashing in rules, but if results had already been fully cashed in then a C was the best possible result (like I say I'm no expert, who would want to be?!)

Sorry if my post didn't meet your pedantic requirements I was merely trying to help op in whatever limited way I could...:frown:

Original post by fifidi
Hi
Don't know if this is useful.
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/docs/certification-advice.pdf

I think schools generally cash in again to certificate A levels to optimize your grades for M and FM.
I didn't know until today that certain combinations of units are /are not allowed (eg not M2 and S1), except for knowing about the C1-4 and 180 UMS from C3, C4. Learn something new every day eh!
Does anyone have a link to edexcel page giving the info about combinations? Thankyou. :smile:

Doh! I just found it in the specification: :smile: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf

This is all very helpful advice, thanks very much! I shall be contacting the examinations officer again just to politely check-in on how it's going, then use these arguments in my defence if needs be. My school traditionally only puts people in through further maths, so probably puts these practices in place there, but I believe my year is the first to be offered ASFM and I am the only student ever to ask to do ASFM solely in my second year so maybe this opened up some gaps in knowledge and practice.

I should note that this doesn't really affect me in any great way as I'm into the uni I wanted to be in and ASFM had nothing to do with my offer anyway, but this might prove useful and relieve stress to future candidates at my school.

There is one tiny ickle niggle though: Edexcel's current spec (the linked one in the OP) is for first teaching in September 2013 ie this academic year just gone, but I took AS maths on the old spec. I've checked the wording and literally not a single word has changed in the outlines for any of my applied units, but the spec did say the lifetime of the units is the lifetime of the spec... Will this have an effect on my appeal?
Reply 13

There is one tiny ickle niggle though: Edexcel's current spec (the linked one in the OP) is for first teaching in September 2013 ie this academic year just gone, but I took AS maths on the old spec. I've checked the wording and literally not a single word has changed in the outlines for any of my applied units, but the spec did say the lifetime of the units is the lifetime of the spec... Will this have an effect on my appeal?

Hi
That's an interesting question. I don't know, but edexcel's student help lines are open today until 4pm: http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/talk-to-us/Pages/contact-us.aspx
Might be worth giving them a call.
:smile:

C1 - 2013 - 95 - a
C2 - 2013 - 85 - a
C3 - 2014 - 100 - a
C4 - 2014 - 80 - a
M1 - 2013 - 97 - a
M2 - 2014 - 76 - b
S1 - 2014 - 76 - b
S2 - 2014 - 51 - d
FP1 - 2014 - 74 - b

Just ask them to recash all qualifications.
This is all very helpful advice, thanks very much! I shall be contacting the examinations officer again just to politely check-in on how it's going, then use these arguments in my defence if needs be. My school traditionally only puts people in through further maths, so probably puts these practices in place there, but I believe my year is the first to be offered ASFM and I am the only student ever to ask to do ASFM solely in my second year so maybe this opened up some gaps in knowledge and practice.

I should note that this doesn't really affect me in any great way as I'm into the uni I wanted to be in and ASFM had nothing to do with my offer anyway, but this might prove useful and relieve stress to future candidates at my school.

Original post by fifidi
Hi
That's an interesting question. I don't know, but edexcel's student help lines are open today until 4pm: http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/talk-to-us/Pages/contact-us.aspx
Might be worth giving them a call.
:smile:

The only difference is the removal of January exams. The modules are still the same.
Only had a quick look but I do know that S2 counts as an A2 module - you have to get 90 average in all your A2's for an A* - so if you put S2 into your maths qualification you would need ave 90 across C3 C4 AND S2. S1 and M1 don't count towards the 90 but S2 and M2 do. Hope this makes sense of what they did?
Reply 17
This has happened to a guy last year (it cost him a uni offer). He had to do a lot of calling up and fighting but in the end he won the case and got higher grades eventually. so dont give up
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jayceedee
Only had a quick look but I do know that S2 counts as an A2 module - you have to get 90 average in all your A2's for an A* - so if you put S2 into your maths qualification you would need ave 90 across C3 C4 AND S2. S1 and M1 don't count towards the 90 but S2 and M2 do. Hope this makes sense of what they did?

More wrong information being given out - why do people give advice when they aren't sure of their facts?

For A level Maths, only C3 and C4 are considered when awarding the A* (so different from all other subjects). A total of at least 180+ is needed from C3 and C4.
Reply 19
Original post by jayceedee

Fortunately for maths this is not the case, only C3 and C4 count towards the A*, hence why I've got one. If S2 or M2 made a difference, I probably would have tried harder in them.

Original post by nmanvi
This has happened to a guy last year (it cost him a uni offer). He had to do a lot of calling up and fight but in the end he won the case and got higher grades eventually. so dont give up

Ah that's a shame :frown: I hope he got his place in the end after that. I won't give up, but as I said it's not of critical importance for me.

Quick Reply

Latest