The Student Room Group

Is a B grade any good?

I got a B in my Spanish AS-level and I'm really disappointed. My family is telling me it's a very good grade and I've done so well etc etc etc... but then I read somewhere that about 60% of students get an A*-B grade at A-level...
If this is true then the majority of people at least get a B, so I'm thinking it's not so good?? What do you think?

Also, should I retake an exam next year (was thinking that retaking the oral wouldn't be too much extra work), or just hope that I'll get a high enough A in my A2 exams to compensate and get an A overall. It was a middling B grade.
If you can retake something without it meaning a whole lot of extra hassle; do it. The good thing about languages is that, for the most part, you build upon your skill set, meaning that retaking something with a year's extra knowledge in that subject will be beneficial. If it's not too much work to redo the oral, go for it.
Original post by perflous
If you can retake something without it meaning a whole lot of extra hassle; do it. The good thing about languages is that, for the most part, you build upon your skill set, meaning that retaking something with a year's extra knowledge in that subject will be beneficial. If it's not too much work to redo the oral, go for it.

Thanks! I think the oral would definitively be easier to retake than the exam, at least.
Reply 3
It's quite a respectable grade, not brilliant but still pretty good. Unless you didn't work very hard and think that you can do better, I'd be quite proud of that if I were you.
Original post by Comus
It's quite a respectable grade, not brilliant but still pretty good. Unless you didn't work very hard and think that you can do better, I'd be quite proud of that if I were you.

I admit I didn't work hard at all until Easter, and I know I could have done better. But thank you :smile:
Original post by BobbieShamrock
I admit I didn't work hard at all until Easter, and I know I could have done better. But thank you :smile:

Typical university offers are often ABB, so Bs are valued. Ask your teacher for advice, I really wanted to resit a politics exam because I got a B, I sat A2s and got a A* overall. So listening to his advice seems to have paid off. So get advice from you teacher.
Original post by BobbieShamrock
I got a B in my Spanish AS-level and I'm really disappointed. My family is telling me it's a very good grade and I've done so well etc etc etc... but then I read somewhere that about 60% of students get an A*-B grade at A-level...
If this is true then the majority of people at least get a B, so I'm thinking it's not so good?? What do you think?

Also, should I retake an exam next year (was thinking that retaking the oral wouldn't be too much extra work), or just hope that I'll get a high enough A in my A2 exams to compensate and get an A overall. It was a middling B grade.

I don't know what your school is like but my French teacher warned me that foreign language students rarely get As and Bs at AS the first time. The year above me generally had Ds Es and Us. As it has already been said, you build upon what you know in languages so you will probably get a higher grade if you re sit. I just had a B in AS French and a B in AS German and I completely understand your sense of frustration and and underachievement. We shouldn't feel like this, a B is a good grade, a foundation which can be improved.

BE HAPPY! Don't let it get to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending