The Student Room Group

Firm rejected then offered then rejected again.

My firm rejected me on results day, offered me a place on the phone and then rejected.

I'm stressed out, called a better university who said I didnt meet their grade requirements but I'm on the bordeline and should try on monday.

I feel anxious, depressed, hurt everything you could describe.

Im worried that the good university will end up rejecting me and not many universities do my course so im so lost

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georginamay
offered me a place on the phone

Take this up with them ASAP. There has to be finality in these things, i.e. if they have offered you a place (even on the phone), they should not withdraw that offer.
Make sure you are really well-prepared for that phone call on Monday. Plan what you are going to say, write notes to prompt yourself, and be positive and enthusiastic on the phone.

Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Make sure you are really well-prepared for that phone call on Monday. Plan what you are going to say, write notes to prompt yourself, and be positive and enthusiastic on the phone.

Good luck.

I'm working this whole weekend and on Monday so im nervous about how everything is going to turn out.

The guy on the phone was very helpful and told me that I will be speaking to one of the admissions
I didn't think universities were allowed to do that because in my opinion, if they offer you a place again after rejecting you then it's up to you to decide? It's not very good practice to reject, offer and reject again, so if i were you i would complain. I know that may not help your current situation though.

Try not worry. I know that will be really hard, but you will find something. It's not the end of the world. If not, a gap year is an option. You could do that and reapply for next year. Wait until Monday to see what happens, because you haven't lost the place at the other university yet, but in the meantime, just have a look on the internet to see if there is anything else at all. Also try to have some chill out time, because it's really not good to be feeling anxious and stressed out.
Reply 5
Original post by StarRattler
I didn't think universities were allowed to do that because in my opinion, if they offer you a place again after rejecting you then it's up to you to decide? It's not very good practice to reject, offer and reject again, so if i were you i would complain. I know that may not help your current situation though.

Try not worry. I know that will be really hard, but you will find something. It's not the end of the world. If not, a gap year is an option. You could do that and reapply for next year. Wait until Monday to see what happens, because you haven't lost the place at the other university yet, but in the meantime, just have a look on the internet to see if there is anything else at all. Also try to have some chill out time, because it's really not good to be feeling anxious and stressed out.

Thank you for the advice and I will not be taking a gap year, the university who I will be speaking to are not my insurance and I feel the offer will depend on my luck
according to UCAS a verbal offer is a binding offer of the university?
Reply 7
Original post by UpInTheMorning
Take this up with them ASAP. There has to be finality in these things, i.e. if they have offered you a place (even on the phone), they should not withdraw that offer.

I have and they said they wont do anything about this situation, Ive called up UCAS and they gave me the advice to take on clearing and to sound confident, use my personal statement etc
Reply 8
im still worried as i do not have place in any university and my course isnt very popular, this is driving me insane
im still worried as i do not have place in any university and my course isnt very popular, this is driving me insane

What have UCAS said about the firm reject/offer/reject situation

Try on Monday, of course

In the mean time I think you have to accept that you may not have a place and look at any other clearing opportunities
Reply 10
Hi,

So my firm offer was for SOAS Law LLB however I did not get in due to missing my entry requirements and receiving BBC at A level. I got a C in History and my teacher is requesting a remark for me. The thibg is, I really wanted to get into SOAS for ages and I called them to clear but they said no as I needed a minimum of ABB. I even had mitigating circumstances this year (health issues) but they said no still.

Should I keep calling them to see if they'll accept me?

I really don't mind if I don't study Law there, as long as I study something similar like International Relations or History
Something that would gain me the same skills as a Law degree would.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by chaimaa
Hi,

So my firm offer was for SOAS Law LLB however I did not get in due to missing my entry requirements and receiving BBC at A level. I got a C in History and my teacher is requesting a remark for me. The thibg is, I really wanted to get into SOAS for ages and I called them to clear but they said no as I needed a minimum of ABB. I even had mitigating circumstances this year (health issues) but they said no still.

I really don't mind if I don't study Law there, as long as I study at SOAS.*

You are two grades below and they have said no twice. Asking them a third time is not going to get you anywhere; you are not getting into SOAS. What is even more concerning is you don't care what you study, as long as you study there. Universities want people who are committed to studying one subject at their institution; not anybody who'll walk through the door with inadequate grades who'll study anything because of the name of the place.
(edited 9 years ago)
My firm rejected me on results day, offered me a place on the phone and then rejected.

I'm stressed out, called a better university who said I didnt meet their grade requirements but I'm on the bordeline and should try on monday.

I feel anxious, depressed, hurt everything you could describe.

Im worried that the good university will end up rejecting me and not many universities do my course so im so lost

If its a respectable institution they should give you an alternative offer.
Original post by chaimaa
Hi,

I really don't mind if I don't study Law there, as long as I study at SOAS.*

Not caring what you study is ridiculous. There's no point doing a course you have no interest in and the Uni won't be very impressed with the fact that you don't care about the course.

Maybe take a gap year and think things through properly, maybe then you'll realise how silly it is to go to a uni just for the uni and not the course.

Also, saying no once means no. Twice means absolutely no. A third isn't going to do anything but annoy them further. Move on and accept it.

You aren't going to get in even with a remark because you have a C and it needs to be a A.
Reply 14
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Not caring what you study is ridiculous. There's no point doing a course you have no interest in and the Uni won't be v ery impressed with the fact that you don't care about the course.

Maybe take a gap year and think things through properly, maybe then you'll realise how silly it is to go to a uni just for the uni and not the course.

Also, saying no once means no. Twice means absolutely no. A third isn't going to do anything but annoy them further. Move on and accept it.

You aren't going to get in even with a remark because you have a C and it needs to be a A.

When I said I wouldn't mind what course, I meant in general something similar to a law degree. For instance International Relations or History. Something where I'd be able to gain transferable skills. You telling me that the university will get annoyed at my persistence is ridiculous because after all they may have a few courses which are under subscribed. So no I won't stop trying. Btw SOAS told me that I could always transfer to another course.
Reply 15
Original post by Pectorac
You are two grades below and they have said no twice. Asking them a third time is not going to get you anywhere; you are not getting into SOAS. What is even more concerning is you don't care what you study, as long as you study there. Universities want people who are committed to studying one subject at their institution; not anybody who'll walk through the door with inadequate grades who'll study anything because of the name of the place.

Not that this changes anything but those "inadequate" grades were gained although I only studied A2 for 4 months. Plus, I don't only want to go there for the "name of the place". I have an interest in the place due to their unique degree. Where else would you study a Law degree where you could study Hindi Law, Islamic Law and Chinese Law with it.
Reply 16
Retake and go there next year. Go and SEE them - ask them to confirm that they don't mind retakes.

A year at your age is neither here nor there if it means you can goto a Uni you WANT to go to. BBC to ABB is not such a big jump.
Good luck
Reply 17
Original post by rajb
Retake and go there next year. Go and SEE them - ask them to confirm that they don't mind retakes.

A year at your age is neither here nor there if it means you can goto a Uni you WANT to go to. BBC to ABB is not such a big jump.
Good luck

Thank you.
I have and they said they wont do anything about this situation, Ive called up UCAS and they gave me the advice to take on clearing and to sound confident, use my personal statement etc

This is BS. If they really did withdraw a verbal offer, ring the university first thing tomorrow and confront them about it.
Original post by chaimaa
When I said I wouldn't mind what course, I meant in general something similar to a law degree. For instance International Relations or History. Something where I'd be able to gain transferable skills. You telling me that the university will get annoyed at my persistence is ridiculous because after all they may have a few courses which are under subscribed. So no I won't stop trying. Btw SOAS told me that I could always transfer to another course.

Replying because I know of people with experience in this. Law is basically impossible to transfer into as it is a highly subscribed and prestigious degree, one of my friends went through this exact same situation at another Russell Group uni and just got blocked, you can't pick up what you missed in the first year and also can't just turn up and say, I'm enrolled on this course but I should be on Law, first thing they'll say is what are your A Level grades, you say BBC and then you'll get a no. Also you will not get offered a history course with a C at A Level, History is another very popular degree. They've said no twice and you need to accept that.

I really think you need a gap year to boost that history grade and then retry for 2015. I know that's not what you want hear and I'm guessing that you are getting a fair amount of parental pressure to get yourself into SOAS and then just transfer to law, but the world doesn't work like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending