The Student Room Group

what's the difference between a foundation year and taking a levels?

is it harder?
is it worth an extra 9 thousand pounds or is better to just retake your A levels?
is it looked down on?
who can i contact to find out more info?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I would also like to know this.
Original post by YuS97
I would also like to know this.

do you know who i can contact to find out more info?
Its not 9,000 its half the price, if you pass the exams normally by 40% so equivalent to an E? I think you are guaranteed a place at the University
Original post by SophieLaw_
Its not 9,000 its half the price, if you pass the exams normally by 40% so equivalent to an E? I think you are guaranteed a place at the University

is it harder then A levels?
It probably is harder because your cramming so much into a few semesters.

It's worth it because it gets you set into uni before everyone else. You will know where everything is, be familiar with how uni works and whats expected. I was told people who did foundation years usually perform very well in first year. If you pass its guaranteed entry into that uni and some people have also transferred to others. However it isn't actually a proper qualification like A levels.

No except some graduate positions require a certain amount of UCAS points for entry which you won't have with crap A levels and a foundation year.

Uni websites, ring admissions tutors, open days.

Original post by SophieLaw_

Its the full 9000 at my uni.
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!

Just to add. My foundation year will essentially have everyone at a higher than A Level standard in Maths. However it cuts out the stuff you don't need for the full degree. So apparently you start off with material thats even as low as GCSE and end up with material thats first year degree level... in 2 semesters so it will be hard.

I didn't do it but I know a few people who did, they said it was hard but worth it especially if the pass % to guarantee you a place at the Uni is only 40.

Plus you get to make mates on your course and get a university experience whilst doing it!
is it harder?
is it worth an extra 9 thousand pounds or is better to just retake your A levels?
is it looked down on?
who can i contact to find out more info?

I did it when it was £3000. As a stepping stone it has given me the chance to get to a better university, in the long run I paid for it to get me into a top 50 university for physics.

Its different to a-levels, theres a lot of content overlap but its tuned for university work not a-levels where you only care about the exams. At university we had proper labs and real lab reports, it feels like a watered down first year. You cover what you are expected to know for first year.

I've had people look down upon me on TSR but not outside of TSR.
Reply 9
Ahh. TBH i would spend the 9000 and have an upper hand at the first year (assuming the foundation year is not extremely hard). Anyone know what Swansea foundation year with Geography is like or Southampton geology and geography foundation year
Original post by RoundTrip
Just to add. My foundation year will essentially have everyone at a higher than A Level standard in Maths. However it cuts out the stuff you don't need for the full degree. So apparently you start off with material thats even as low as GCSE and end up with material thats first year degree level... in 2 semesters so it will be hard.

do you think it would be better for me to just retake my a levels? and is 70 percent high?
Original post by TunaTunnel
I did it when it was £3000. As a stepping stone it has given me the chance to get to a better university, in the long run I paid for it to get me into a top 50 university for physics.

Its different to a-levels, theres a lot of content overlap but its tuned for university work not a-levels where you only care about the exams. At university we had proper labs and real lab reports, it feels like a watered down first year. You cover what you are expected to know for first year.

I've had people look down upon me on TSR but not outside of TSR.

can i ask what you got at alevel? and what you got at your foundation degree?
can i ask what you got at alevel? and what you got at your foundation degree?

First time at AS levels U U D E
After repeating a year C C C e

At foundation year

Semester 1 Module Results (Average Results)
Applicable Mathematics 1 - 95%
Basic Physics and Materials - 92%
Foundations of Physical Chemistry 1 -75%
Introduction Into Engineering Science: Applied Mechanics - 91%
Learning and Communications - 86%

Semester 2 Module Results (Average Results)
Applicable Mathematics 2 - 95%
Physics B - 92%
Introduction Into Engineering Science: Energy and Power - 88%
Materials and Materials Processing - 83%
Project B - 90%

Foundation Year Average Result - 89.5%
Note those results are exceptional and nobody ever got results remotely as high as that.
Advantage - 'being at Uni'.

Advantage - it may give you an 'easier entry' to the straight degree at that Uni.

Disadvantage - living at home is cheaper.

Disadvantage - can feel frustrating when you feel you know half the syllabus already.

Re-taking A levels is often a better option. You have the potential for better grades, and the chance to rethink subject/course choices and potential Unis and/or alternatives during that year. With a Foundation course, you've practically already made that decision.
do you think it would be better for me to just retake my a levels? and is 70 percent high?

Can't really answer it depends if you know exactly what you want to do. If you know for sure and there's a foundation year in a subject at a uni you like then do the FY.
I had an incredibly tough time during A Levels and it's a miracle I actually got through them. But I'm doing English with a foundation year at MMU and from what I've been told it's like an intermediate step between A Level and degree level and it helps to prepare you for year one of your degree. Obviously there are tuition fees for the year but I'm paying an amount which is considerably lower than my tuition fees for the actual course. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest