The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge: Where do I Apply?!

Hi There,

Recently I just got my AS results and well, I need some help. I am applying for medicine. At GCSE I have 11 A*'s, 2 A's and a B. At AS I have 5 A's. I took Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. Firstly, I want to know if I applied to Cambridge, how would my average UMS be calculated. Basically, my percentages aren't amazing. The average of all 5 is 87%. However, I have heard that they take your average from the 3 most relevant. So If an average was taken from Chemistry, Biology and Maths I would have an average of 91%. Although this isn't incredible, it would give me a fighting shot at Cambridge So could some please clarify what UMS figures would Cambridge see if I applied there? If I apply to Cambridge it will be Pembroke, however if I apply to Oxford, I don't have a clue what college to apply to. Can some please suggest a college that is at a walkable distance from the medical teaching facility (30 mins walk max) has nice food and nice accommodation with a good gym and sports facilities please. My main problem with applying to cambridge is that Im worried about my UMS (93% Maths, 91% Chem, 87% Bio, 84% Further Maths and 81% Physics) :frown: The problem with Oxford is although my raw number of A*'s is good, my proportion of A*s, so basically 11/14 isnt great. This gives me a 78.6% of A*'s. So can someone please advice me where would be better for me to apply to improve my chances. I have visited both and I loved both. Someone help pleaseeee
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Nearly all the colleges at oxford are within 30mins walk of the medical faculty, so don't worry about that, I would choose one you liked the look of because it doesn't really matter too much and everyone ends up loving their college.

I think you should apply to the one you liked more, you have relatively similar UMS and GCSEs in terms of how they would look at them so I would focus on acing the BMAT, but I think you would almost definitely get an interview at cambridge, they interview nearly everyone, but oxford throws lots of people out after the BMAT before interview.

Also I think they calculate the UMS differently if you do further maths too, but I don't know the specifics.

Good luck, sorry I can't be more helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by dongeezy
Nearly all the colleges at oxford are within 30mins walk of the medical faculty, so don't worry about that, I would choose one you liked the look of because it doesn't really matter too much and everyone ends up loving their college.

I think you should apply to the one you liked more, you have relatively similar UMS and GCSEs in terms of how they would look at them so I would focus on acing the BMAT, but I think you would almost definitely get an interview at cambridge, they interview nearly everyone, but oxford throws lots of people out after the BMAT before interview.

Also I think they calculate the UMS differently if you do further maths too, but I don't know the specifics.

Good luck, sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks for the reply, ummm I can't remember, they all looked nice, so an open application would be fine right? yeah, that's the plan at the moment. Smash the BMAT. So I would get an interview at Cambridge even with my dreadful UMS? So are my GCSE stats not good enough for an interview at Oxford? Don't worry bud, appreciate the help. Also for A2 I am going to drop Physics, I'm considering droppin Further Maths as well, is that a good or bad move?!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd apply to Oxford if I were you because:
They look at GCSEs more and yours are very impressive
They do not ask for UMS averages and yours aren't as high as other Cambridge applicants ~95% UMS average
Both are equally respected so it doesn't really matter which one you go to and you'll be more likely to get into Oxford

+ Maths and Further Maths are put together into one subject so the 2 UMS scores are averaged and counted as one subject

Hope this helped 😊
Reply 4
Original post by TheNicholas
I'd apply to Oxford if I were you because:
They look at GCSEs more and yours are very impressive
They do not ask for UMS averages and yours aren't as high as other Cambridge applicants ~95% UMS average
Both are equally respected so it doesn't really matter which one you go to and you'll be more likely to get into Oxford

+ Maths and Further Maths are put together into one subject so the 2 UMS scores are averaged and counted as one subject

Hope this helped

Thanks man, appreciate it. I was swaying to Oxford as well due to my UMS :frown: So do you think dropping just Physics is better or dropping both physics and further maths for A2?
Original post by shloke123
Thanks man, appreciate it. I was swaying to Oxford as well due to my UMS :frown: So do you think dropping just Physics is better or dropping both physics and further maths for A2?

Well Oxford will base their offer on only 3 A levels so if you don't feel confident enough to take 4, 3 is fine because that is all that is required. Do what you think you could handle and what you would enjoy :smile:
Reply 6
I can handle 4, but if they only need 3, what the point in doing 4 right? its unnecessary workload, it would be better if I did 3 and gave 100% concentration to those right?
Reply 7
I can handle 4, but if they only need 3, what the point in doing 4 right? its unnecessary workload, it would be better if I did 3 and gave 100% concentration to those right?

As a current cambridge medic, I would say doing 4 A2s is a better option. It would demonstrate that you can handle a higher workload and increase your odds of getting an interview/offer. It is true that the offers listed on Oxford/cambridge websites is for 3 A-levels but that is because 3 is the national average. Most Oxbridge applicants (and certainly offer holders) would have 4 A-levels, some even with 5. Plus it would look slightly strange if you dropped 2 subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi There,

Recently I just got my AS results and well, I need some help. I am applying for medicine. At GCSE I have 11 A*'s, 2 A's and a B. At AS I have 5 A's. I took Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. Firstly, I want to know if I applied to Cambridge, how would my average UMS be calculated. Basically, my percentages aren't amazing. The average of all 5 is 87%. However, I have heard that they take your average from the 3 most relevant. So If an average was taken from Chemistry, Biology and Maths I would have an average of 91%. Although this isn't incredible, it would give me a fighting shot at Cambridge So could some please clarify what UMS figures would Cambridge see if I applied there?

Tough decision... you probably have a better shot at Oxford, though Oxford has far more applicants per place and your GCSEs still aren't that great.

Some key differences to consider are that: Cambridge there is no chance (or risk) of going to London, Cambridge has a far bigger year group and far more medics in each college, Cambridge has more variety in 3rd year, Cambridge does more anatomy and pharmacology compared to Oxford's biochemistry and physiology.

Can some please suggest a college that is at a walkable distance from the medical teaching facility (30 mins walk max) has nice food and nice accommodation with a good gym and sports facilities please.

Literally all Oxford colleges are within 20 mins walk of the medical teaching centre. The closest ones (5-8 mins walk) are gonna be Keble, Catz, Merton (Holywell accommodation). Also LMH, Trinity, Balliol, John's, Somerville... remember to consider whether the college offers 3 years accommodation or not, and where that accommodation actually is (might not be on college site).

I appreciated having 4 so I could mess one up and still get in. No need to take 4 if you don't want to though no.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oxford don't care about your grades once you meet the requirements - there are so many myths about this it's unreal, i know this for a fact as my dad was having a yearly dinner with some of the deans of admissions and some of his peers from merton college (oxford) - and this topic was discussed. Once the grade requirements are met they care more about your life, are you well rounded? are you social? what skills can you contribute to oxford? will they benefit from taking you? are you really interested in the subject which you've chosen to study? Sure having A*/A's is favourable but after meeting the grade requirements other factors are more weighted.

go to the university you most prefer not because how much easier it is to get in
(edited 9 years ago)
I think in your situation, Oxford might be the slightly better option. Although I do personally think that your profile isn't great for either.

Oxford select for interview based on GCSE and BMAT. So you will need to get a good BMAT score.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Thanks for the help guys, as well as the tough criticism :') I think Oxford is looking likely. I don't think I'm in that bad a position am I? I mean My GCSE's are good, not incredible but certainly competitive, with a good BMAT score and a half decent interview, I would have a fair shot right? I'm thinking of applying to Worcester as recommended by a friend. Any opinions on that? Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming :P
Reply 12
And as for the A2's, I think I'm just gonna drop Physics :P
Reply 13
Quoting just to give out some notifications :P

Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think in your situation, Oxford might be the slightly better option. Although I do personally think that your profile isn't great for either.

Oxford select for interview based on GCSE and BMAT. So you will need to get a good BMAT score.

Original post by doctor101
Oxford don't care about your grades once you meet the requirements - there are so many myths about this it's unreal, i know this for a fact as my dad was having a yearly dinner with some of the deans of admissions and some of his peers from merton college (oxford) - and this topic was discussed. Once the grade requirements are met they care more about your life, are you well rounded? are you social? what skills can you contribute to oxford? will they benefit from taking you? are you really interested in the subject which you've chosen to study? Sure having A*/A's is favourable but after meeting the grade requirements other factors are more weighted.

go to the university you most prefer not because how much easier it is to get in

Original post by nexttime
Tough decision... you probably have a better shot at Oxford, though Oxford has far more applicants per place and your GCSEs still aren't that great.

Some key differences to consider are that: Cambridge there is no chance (or risk) of going to London, Cambridge has a far bigger year group and far more medics in each college, Cambridge has more variety in 3rd year, Cambridge does more anatomy and pharmacology compared to Oxford's biochemistry and physiology.

Literally all Oxford colleges are within 20 mins walk of the medical teaching centre. The closest ones (5-8 mins walk) are gonna be Keble, Catz, Merton (Holywell accommodation). Also LMH, Trinity, Balliol, John's, Somerville... remember to consider whether the college offers 3 years accommodation or not, and where that accommodation actually is (might not be on college site).

I appreciated having 4 so I could mess one up and still get in. No need to take 4 if you don't want to though no.

Original post by astro17
As a current cambridge medic, I would say doing 4 A2s is a better option. It would demonstrate that you can handle a higher workload and increase your odds of getting an interview/offer. It is true that the offers listed on Oxford/cambridge websites is for 3 A-levels but that is because 3 is the national average. Most Oxbridge applicants (and certainly offer holders) would have 4 A-levels, some even with 5. Plus it would look slightly strange if you dropped 2 subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! Cmabridge personally look at your A levels more in opposition to your GCSE grades. Cambridge is 2nd in the world and the best in the country :smile:
Reply 15
Thanks man bytt I know that, they look at your UMS at A level, and mine aren't incredible

Original post by toosaseeforyou
Hey! Cmabridge personally look at your A levels more in opposition to your GCSE grades. Cambridge is 2nd in the world and the best in the country :smile:
Thanks for the help guys, as well as the tough criticism :') I think Oxford is looking likely. I don't think I'm in that bad a position am I?

No. Its just that Oxford is very competitive. No one is in a 'good' position really, at least until you know the BMAT score.

I'm thinking of applying to Worcester as recommended by a friend. Any opinions on that? Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming :P

Worcester's nice - its the most applied to college for a reason. What are you looking for in a college? Maybe take a look at the 'which college' thread in the Oxford forum if you want advice (i.e. mostly people telling you to apply to their college). I wouldn't overly stress about college choice unless you have very specific requirements.
Reply 17
Ahh Thanks, I see where you are coming from. So I am still a competitive applicant with my GCSE's right? A good BMAT and interview will obviously help but as it is at the moment, I'm still in the running?

In terms of college I wil go ahead and have a look at the thread thanks :smile:

Original post by nexttime
No. Its just that Oxford is very competitive. No one is in a 'good' position really, at least until you know the BMAT score.

Worcester's nice - its the most applied to college for a reason. What are you looking for in a college? Maybe take a look at the 'which college' thread in the Oxford forum if you want advice (i.e. mostly people telling you to apply to their college). I wouldn't overly stress about college choice unless you have very specific requirements.
Reply 18
Ok I have decided on Jesus, sorted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending