The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
:awesome: you'll get it!

I think our OP should consist of a university course and everyone who's applying for it.

And then use the connect pages for details.

I think *I* should do an OP seeing as I haven't done it in four years :lol: :smug:

Buy yeah, that sounds like a plan :smile:

Original post by Elm Tree
If you guys lived in London would you go to a university inside or outside of London?

I'm applying for one in London, and three out (if only because for my course, only one of them is in London :tongue: ). London is a great place, although I'd definitely move out of my parent's house if I went to university here.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

I'm applying for one in London, and three out (if only because for my course, only one of them is in London :tongue: ). London is a great place, although I'd definitely move out of my parent's house if I went to university here.

Original post by Red Fox
I'd go outside but then again London is huge so you could just go to uni on the other side of London and it would be like moving away.

If I were to I'd probably stay in uni accommodation for the first year to experience living away from home but then I'd probably have to move back home as soon as we have to find our own place. Renting in London is very expensive as I'm sure you know, not to mention the cost of living as well...
Parents would want me to move back home and save money.

But then I'd be missing out on the uni experience. My sister goes to a Uni in London and she always recommends me to go to a university outside London as it's a better experience.
Oh and commuting every day to university during rush hour in summer... No thanks lol
Long year of hard work ahead.
Original post by Elm Tree
If I were to I'd probably stay in uni accommodation for the first year to experience living away from home but then I'd probably have to move back home as soon as we have to find our own place. Renting in London is very expensive as I'm sure you know, not to mention the cost of living as well...
Parents would want me to move back home and save money.

But then I'd be missing out on the uni experience. My sister goes to a Uni in London and she always recommends me to go to a university outside London as it's a better experience.
Oh and commuting every day to university during rush hour in summer... No thanks lol

Hmmm, in terms of the 'uni experience', I definitely wouldn't live in halls and then move back to my parental home. Money is a big issue here which is a massive shame. On the website of the London university I'm interested in it says that it costs around £10K per year to live here, although I suspect it will be more than that as accommodation in their halls is £130 per week. My plan is to work for the entirety of next summer in order to scrape some savings together, then hopefully I can rent a place with some friends after a couple of years. I'm still probably going to have to take out the maximum student loan, though. And I'll still be eating Lidl baked beans for dinner every day (can't argue with 29p per can :tongue: )

I suppose it would depend on how far the university was to your house. Remember transport isn't cheap so you may end up not saving as much as you'd hoped by living at home.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think *I* should do an OP seeing as I haven't done it in four years :lol: :smug:

Buy yeah, that sounds like a plan :smile:

techno is writing code :colondollar: you can have mark II though. (I love how I'm saying it as if it's my decision)
Reply 25
I remember back in the days (just a few months ago :tongue:) when I was in year 13. Those were the days...
Original post by WhiteSouthAfrica
Long year of hard work ahead.

Yup :biggrin:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
techno is writing code :colondollar: you can have mark II though. (I love how I'm saying it as if it's my decision)

Mate I was only kidding :tongue: At the rate we're going currently, mark 2 should happen shortly before our 70th birthdays :wink: :tongue:
I can't believe we only have one year left of school!! :eek:
Uni applications are going to be so stressful but I'm looking forward to getting it out of the way!
Original post by lilixxx1000
Uni applications are going to be so stressful but I'm looking forward to getting it out of the way!

Do you know what you're going to apply for? :smile:
Reply 29

I already feel stressed out by applications. Every time I start writing my personal statement I just lose motivation and end up like brushing my cat or some other stupid task like that.
Original post by emcat
I already feel stressed out by applications. Every time I start writing my personal statement I just lose motivation and end up like brushing my cat or some other stupid task like that.

Haha I'm the other way round I've been procrastinating doing my EPQ and biology A2 coursework by doing my personal statement! It still isn't very good though!
Do you know what you're going to apply for? :smile:

Medicine :smile:
You? Do you know which unis?
well this is scary ...
Medicine :smile:
You? Do you know which unis?

Vet medicine hopefully! Haven't made definite decisions about universities yet, though.

Original post by sarahiscool
well this is scary ...

Exciting though :biggrin:
Reply 34
Haha I'm the other way round I've been procrastinating doing my EPQ and biology A2 coursework by doing my personal statement! It still isn't very good though!

Ooo, thank you for reminding me I need to tidy up my EPQ. I did the presentation on the last day of term but the essay still needs turning in. I feel like your personal statement is just the kind of thing where you need to sit down one day and get a really good draft done just to sort of get it over with because after that you'd only need to do little tweaks and it just gets rid of the pressure.
Vet medicine hopefully! Haven't made definite decisions about universities yet, though.

Awesome :smile:
Original post by emcat
Ooo, thank you for reminding me I need to tidy up my EPQ. I did the presentation on the last day of term but the essay still needs turning in. I feel like your personal statement is just the kind of thing where you need to sit down one day and get a really good draft done just to sort of get it over with because after that you'd only need to do little tweaks and it just gets rid of the pressure.

What did you do it on? I've only just started mine as we do it in year 13.
Yeah I agree about the personal statement, getting the first draft done is the hardest, then send it to as many people as you can and get feedback.
Reply 37
What did you do it on? I've only just started mine as we do it in year 13.
Yeah I agree about the personal statement, getting the first draft done is the hardest, then send it to as many people as you can and get feedback.

I did mine on how accurately literature represents 1920s America because I initially wanted to go to uni to do English but that's changed. What's yours on?
And yeah, my school makes like four people check each draft so that you're getting tonnes of feedback. I'm just scared I haven't done enough to fill up the 47 lines.
Original post by emcat
I did mine on how accurately literature represents 1920s America because I initially wanted to go to uni to do English but that's changed. What's yours on?
And yeah, my school makes like four people check each draft so that you're getting tonnes of feedback. I'm just scared I haven't done enough to fill up the 47 lines.

That's a nice title!

I think I hit character limit before lines...
Reply 39
Anyone still undecided about what uni course they want to do, or is it just me?

Latest