The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AChhabs0701
Aha I remember getting 184/200 UMS overall, not too sure about specific modules. Never ever come on studentroom unless you wanna feel worse about your grades, they say. xDD

I am going to be emailing UCL/Nottingham regarding this, thank you for your help though. I am also considering a complete turn-around and putting Warwick/York as my top two choices instead, not sure when this happened. :P

yeah theyre probably the best people to tell you about how important further maths is :smile:
yay warwick is so nice!
As someone who went though the application process last year and secured a place at UCL yesterday, if anyone has any questions, fire away :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Bloxorus
As someone who went though the application process last year and secured a place at UCL yesterday, if anyone has any questions, fire away :smile:

What's the most important factor that UCL judge when they consider applicants? Predicted A Levels?
Original post by mwatters
What's the most important factor that UCL judge when they consider applicants? Predicted A Levels?

I would probably say a combination of AS results and the personal statement. I don't think they pay much attention to predictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone has read the books "Predictably Irrational" and "Thinking Fast and Slow", would these books be worth talking about in my personal statement? In the case of Predictably Irrational, it mostly talks about Behavioral Economics.

It's just that I haven't seen anyone quote or mention it whatsoever in a personal statement thats all.
Reply 45
Posted from TSR Mobile

I got ABBB in PE Econ Maths and Geography what are the top unis you reckon I could apply for with a good PS and these grades?
Original post by SteelCookie
If anyone has read the books "Predictably Irrational" and "Thinking Fast and Slow", would these books be worth talking about in my personal statement? In the case of Predictably Irrational, it mostly talks about Behavioral Economics.

It's just that I haven't seen anyone quote or mention it whatsoever in a personal statement thats all.

IIRC both are behavioural economics/psychology books? There's nothing wrong with that - it's a significant branch of economics and i think it's good to pick a niche area that you enjoy.

Just remember to make notes as you read and critique along the way!
Original post by SteelCookie

I have seen quite a few PSs mention Predictably irrational! I am actually planning on talking about Thinking Fast and Slow in my PS, however I'm worried it's to much on the psychology side :s-smilie:
Original post by 1Dom
Posted from TSR Mobile

I got ABBB in PE Econ Maths and Geography what are the top unis you reckon I could apply for with a good PS and these grades?

Are there any universities you already know you want to go to? Depending on how high your A and Bs are your school could probably predict you anything from A*AA-ABB so you could maybe look at applying to one high one and then spread the rest out a bit? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
I was hoping Queen Mary, City, maybe Kings but that may be a stretch now and the course isnt the greatest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1Dom
I was hoping Queen Mary, City, maybe Kings but that may be a stretch now and the course isnt the greatest

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've definitely got a good shot with qmul and city, and with kings if the course isn't exactly what you want maybe you'd be better applying elsewhere as the course should be the main thing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Im from London and I'm scared to go outside of London because of the costs! Like Durham for Finance or Leicester for Econ look great but not living at home is gonna leave me very very poor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1Dom
Im from London and I'm scared to go outside of London because of the costs! Like Durham for Finance or Leicester for Econ look great but not living at home is gonna leave me very very poor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah but you'll get a maintenance grant depending on your parents income so that'd help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi i'm also hoping to do economics at uni, i got 4 A's in AS (maths, economics, biology and chemistry) and i am aiming for top university's, i.e. Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, York.
Will not doing further maths put me at a disadvantage?
Also i don't have a lot of exceptional things to put on my personal statement, does anyone know what i could do to make myself stand out a little bit? I am aware most students applying for economics also have really good grades!

Original post by becky345
hi i'm also hoping to do economics at uni, i got 4 A's in AS (maths, economics, biology and chemistry) and i am aiming for top university's, i.e. Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, York.
Will not doing further maths put me at a disadvantage?
Also i don't have a lot of exceptional things to put on my personal statement, does anyone know what i could do to make myself stand out a little bit? I am aware most students applying for economics also have really good grades!

Well done those grades are great! Have you thought about doing an EPQ if your school offers it and then reading a few books?
You can always email the universities asking whether they require further maths, they'll know more than anyone here :smile:
Are you dropping a subject this year?
Yay I'm going to apply to warwick and nottingham too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Well done those grades are great! Have you thought about doing an EPQ if your school offers it and then reading a few books?
You can always email the universities asking whether they require further maths, they'll know more than anyone here :smile:
Are you dropping a subject this year?
Yay I'm going to apply to warwick and nottingham too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! how were your grades? I'm thinking of either dropping biology or chemistry, but i can't decide which!
My school did offer epq to me however they offered it in September when i didn't know that i wanted to study economics! So i cant really do that :/
I don't think further maths is a requirement but a lot of people seem to have it...
Do you recommend any books? there are so many out there!
thank you! how were your grades? I'm thinking of either dropping biology or chemistry, but i can't decide which!
My school did offer epq to me however they offered it in September when i didn't know that i wanted to study economics! So i cant really do that :/
I don't think further maths is a requirement but a lot of people seem to have it...
Do you recommend any books? there are so many out there!

Ah yep I'm happy with my grades I got 4As and a B and yeah I do further maths so I'm someone with it
I'd say if you were willing to self teach just to AS that'd be good and fp1 isn't actually very difficult at all so that could be an option for you?
Erm most people read freakonomics or however it's actually spelt and I think the armchair economist is a common one. I went to warwick open day and the economics lecturer suggested reading the economist weekly and piketty's capital, which I'm yet to start reading and looks like heavy going aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah yep I'm happy with my grades I got 4As and a B and yeah I do further maths so I'm someone with it
I'd say if you were willing to self teach just to AS that'd be good and fp1 isn't actually very difficult at all so that could be an option for you?
Erm most people read freakonomics or however it's actually spelt and I think the armchair economist is a common one. I went to warwick open day and the economics lecturer suggested reading the economist weekly and piketty's capital, which I'm yet to start reading and looks like heavy going aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

well done :smile: yeah i think i will just have to wait to speak to my teachers...
it seems like economics is one of the hardest courses to get on! Everyone gets good grades!
What did you think about Warwick's location? its the only thing that put me off, it doesn't seem to be that close to anywhere :s-smilie:
I'm going to try to find a book that isn't too hard going but is actually respected by admissions tutors, if there is such a thing! :wink:
well done :smile: yeah i think i will just have to wait to speak to my teachers...
it seems like economics is one of the hardest courses to get on! Everyone gets good grades!
What did you think about Warwick's location? its the only thing that put me off, it doesn't seem to be that close to anywhere :s-smilie:
I'm going to try to find a book that isn't too hard going but is actually respected by admissions tutors, if there is such a thing! :wink:

Ooh ha-joon Chang is a cambridge professor and his books are really accessible to everyone and quick to read, you could try one of them?
See I thought warwick being in the middle of nowhere would put me off but I went to the campus and loved it! The student unions pretty good and I think most of the students just go to leamington spa and Coventry if they want to go out elsewhere and that's pretty good. But if you go to the campus you'll get a feel as to whether you'd like it or not I think :smile:
Yeah economics seemingly has got harder to get into in the past few years with unis all pushing their requirement to get in up which sucks :/ although my AS ums is pretty good so I'm only really worried about getting A*s next year rather than worrying about getting As haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh ha-joon Chang is a cambridge professor and his books are really accessible to everyone and quick to read, you could try one of them?
See I thought warwick being in the middle of nowhere would put me off but I went to the campus and loved it! The student unions pretty good and I think most of the students just go to leamington spa and Coventry if they want to go out elsewhere and that's pretty good. But if you go to the campus you'll get a feel as to whether you'd like it or not I think :smile:
Yeah economics seemingly has got harder to get into in the past few years with unis all pushing their requirement to get in up which sucks :/ although my AS ums is pretty good so I'm only really worried about getting A*s next year rather than worrying about getting As haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks i'll look him up :smile: hahah same, the pressures of being smart :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending