The Student Room Group

doing masters degree for mechanical engineering in a different university

So I just received my disappointing A level results (BCC) and considering my next options. Knowing that I under performed and that I am able to do a lot better, I'm not sure what I should do.
I can either take up the course at city university london or retake and reapply next year. The rankings for city isnt very high. About 40's ish. Should I settle with this? would it be worth it to retake and go for one around the 20's?

Another thing thats bothering me is that if I compete my bachelors here, is it possible and what is the likely chance of me doing masters at a better university such as UCL or Imperial ?

By retake the year I would have to go through the ucas system and see any other unis that might want to give me an offer. I doubt UCL or imperial will accept an A2 retaker with BCC.

What should I do?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by wcschstudent

I can either take up the course at city university london or retake and reapply next year. The rankings for city isnt very high. Would it be worth it to retake?

In my opinion it's better to get 1 year of the actual degree course done and dusted than spend that time worrying over re doing A-levels..

Another thing thats bothering me is that if I compete my bachelors here, is it possible and what is the likely chance of me doing masters at a better university such as UCL or Imperial ?

Yes it is more than possible, there is nothing stopping you from applying for one of their MSc courses.

By retake the year I would have to go through the ucas system and see any other unis that might want to give me an offer. I doubt UCL or imperial will accept an A2 retaker with BCC.

What should I do?

Bear in mind that rankings do not mean anything and your employment prospects will not be damaged in any way however if you are that concerned about them then as said above you could always do a BEng there then an MSc at your desired university afterwards.

Spending the whole year re-taking A-levels when you can actually get 1 year of the actual degree done and dusted (and possibly get internships too) seems silly to me, especially since you would be learning similar sort of stuff anyway...
So I just received my disappointing A level results (BCC) and considering my next options. Knowing that I under performed and that I am able to do a lot better, I'm not sure what I should do.
I can either take up the course at city university london or retake and reapply next year. The rankings for city isnt very high. About 40's ish. Should I settle with this? would it be worth it to retake and go for one around the 20's?

What should I do?

As a10 says, it's far better to go straight onto a degree programme than worry about doing resits for a year.

I would advise that you complete at least the BEng at City, and if it still upsets you that it's not Imperial or UCL, providing you get good enough grades, do an MSc there.

Quick Reply

Latest