The Student Room Group

Am I stupid for getting AAB?

I got AAB in my A-levels (Chemistry, History and Biology). Am I crazy for being gutted?
Depends on what you were aiming for. It's not stupid.
Reply 2
That's not stupid. People are crying on here with DDD, how does your situation even compare?
Reply 3
omg shut up you're not stupid!
Reply 4
Exactly. I recognise that I'm being completely irrational and yet I can't shake it off. :angry:
Reply 5
Grades on paper doesn't define you, lol.
Nope, it's all relative. I'd have been gutted if I'd scored AAA - as my offer was A*AA.
Original post by godd
That's not stupid. People are crying on here with DDD, how does your situation even compare?

Because people have different expectations. For example I would be furious if I had AAB.
Reply 8
You're not crazy for being gutted, because it depends what you expected and wanted (I mean realisitically wanted, not just "I want a ninja". But at the same time you need to realise that with AAB you're still an excellent student, and, as other people have said, there are people who have failed more spectacularly.

You need to think about what you want to do in life, and whether AAB will allow you to do that. It will have closed some doors to you but there are still loads of options that you are good enough for. Alternatively, you might want to look into resitting.
Original post by thehills
I got AAB in my A-levels (Chemistry, History and Biology). Am I crazy for being gutted?

You're stupid for asking "Am I stupid for getting AAB?" :curious:
Seriously, those are really impressive results and you should be proud.
Yes, I'm surprised you managed to work out how to use a computer.
Reply 11
Original post by Juno
You're not crazy for being gutted, because it depends what you expected and wanted (I mean realisitically wanted, not just "I want a ninja". But at the same time you need to realise that with AAB you're still an excellent student, and, as other people have said, there are people who have failed more spectacularly.

You need to think about what you want to do in life, and whether AAB will allow you to do that. It will have closed some doors to you but there are still loads of options that you are good enough for. Alternatively, you might want to look into resitting.

Thanks :smile:. My first choice accepted me (my offer was AAA) so thankfully that door wasn't slammed in my face. But I may resit a Bio exam in the summer in university.
Reply 12
Original post by thehills
Thanks :smile:. My first choice accepted me (my offer was AAA) so thankfully that door wasn't slammed in my face. But I may resit a Bio exam in the summer in university.

You don't need to decide now. Take a few days, weeks or months to think about it. You'll be going to uni and having a great time! You'll have enough work to do whilst you're there, so might not want the additional hassle of a resit. Even if you're studying the same subject at uni, you might not learn things that are actually applicable to the A Level, or might learn things at too high a level to be given marks. For example, at GCSE chemistry you're told about electrons and stuff, and then at A Level are told it's completely wrong - you might find the same thing but in different subjects.

When you do decide, remember to look at exam dates. Most unis will hold summer exams at roughly the same time as A Level exams. You'll then have two lots of exams to prepare for at the same time!

Think about what you want to do afterwards. If it's a grad scheme then you'll probably still be eligible with AAB.
Lol well I got BCC so I must be a dunce. Id say you can be disappointed if it wasn't what you were aiming for. I was aiming for ABB so...
Dude, exams are just a marker of how your performed on the day. Dont take it too hard.
Reply 15
You're definitely not stupid for getting AAB, those are the exact grades I really want and would kill for. But you're not crazy for being gutted if you expected (based on your abilities and how hard you worked) or needed (for a particular course/university) better grades at all.

Quick Reply

Latest