The Student Room Group

Can I read law with these AS grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elliott_Malik
Thank you and if I need to then I will (you don't know what you just let out) :smile:

No worries, happy to help! Good luck either way!

Really? What is so bad about the word that is the correct word to use for something like Law, is a word that I have been taught to use and is a word that everyone around me uses?

it just seems very desperate and forced; as if you're only saying it to make your course sound more impressive - I studied law this year at university, just to add.
Original post by zippity.doodah
it just seems very desperate and forced; as if you're only saying it to make your course sound more impressive - I studied law this year at university, just to add.

I don't think that it does, I have always said read and I don't think that there is any problem with it.
I don't really understand why people say 'read'.. where did that come from? I mean if we're taking it literally, you don't just sit there and read Law do you? You study it, you learn it. I personally say study because, you know, that's what I do... heh
Original post by einnap101
I don't really understand why people say 'read'.. where did that come from? I mean if we're taking it literally, you don't just sit there and read Law do you? You study it, you learn it. I personally say study because, you know, that's what I do... heh

It's probably a more archaic term but I am used to saying it and I will continue to. It comes from the days when one would go to university and would read vast amounts of texts and then take an examination, whether it be written or oral so they would be reading xyz.
I thought you only "read" subjects at Oxbridge for tradional reasons, I agree it sounds so pretentious -.-
Original post by Davelittle
I thought you only "read" subjects at Oxbridge for tradional reasons, I agree it sounds so pretentious -.-

No, you can read a subject at any university and why not? There wouldn't be anything grammatically incorrect if I were to say that I wished to read law or, for that matter, any other subject.
No, you can read a subject at any university and why not? There wouldn't be anything grammatically incorrect if I were to say that I wished to read law or, for that matter, any other subject.

But why would you? Are you trying to sound impressive or what?

Just seems a bit strange, I get it if you're from Oxbridge because they use the word "read" instead of "study" a lot on the website/open days etc. but I've never heard anyone say "read" from any other uni I have visited...
But why would you? Are you trying to sound impressive or what?

Just seems a bit strange, I get it if you're from Oxbridge because they use the word "read" instead of "study" a lot on the website/open days etc. but I've never heard anyone say "read" from any other uni I have visited...

My family have always said read, my father read law,
my aunt read law, my grandfather read medicine, my great grandfather read law etc. We have always said and have been brought up to say I am planning on reading xyz or I read xyz at xyz university. It is nothing to do with sounding impressive, it is just the word that we use.

My family have always said read, my father read law,
my aunt read law, my grandfather read medicine, my great grandfather read law etc. We have always said and have been brought up to say I am planning on reading xyz or I read xyz at xyz university. It is nothing to do with sounding impressive, it is just the word that we use.

Fair enough, it just sounds a bit strange!

And to answer your question, yes you can do law at uni but maybe consider aiming for a uni that will accept those AS levels.
Literally who gives a flying **** about the word 'read'?! Keep using it Elliot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough, it just sounds a bit strange!

And to answer your question, yes you can do law at uni but maybe consider aiming for a uni that will accept those AS levels.

Well to me studying sounds strange so it must depend on how you were taught to say it. Anyway, I am now thinking about reading history and converting to law, not because of these AS grades (even though they are a slight problem) but mainly because I am interested in history and I would probably get a better degree at the end of it all anyway.

after that I can convert to Law like 49% of applicants to the Inner Temple did in 2013 and then from there do everything else that will enable me to practise as a Barrister.
Well to me studying sounds strange so it must depend on how you were taught to say it. Anyway, I am now thinking about reading history and converting to law, not because of these AS grades (even though they are a slight problem) but mainly because I am interested in history and I would probably get a better degree at the end of it all anyway.

after that I can convert to Law like 49% of applicants to the Inner Temple did in 2013 and then from there do everything else that will enable me to practise as a Barrister.

You sound like you've made up your mind already.

Are you sure doing a history degree is the right option? You clearly want to be a lawyer so why not do law and save yourself the extra year at uni (and the money it will cost you). Just a thought.
You sound like you've made up your mind already.

Are you sure doing a history degree is the right option? You clearly want to be a lawyer so why not do law and save yourself the extra year at uni (and the money it will cost you). Just a thought.

I never like to say this because it makes me feel so pretentious but while I have been in state education for my entire life, my parents are willing to spend as much money as I need to pay for my higher education.

Why history? Well I know that I am perfectly capable of doing both degrees but history has been an interest of mine for my entire life and while law is interesting, every Barrister that I have spoken to has said that they wished that they had read history and converted to law. I didn't even have to say that I was thinking about reading history, they simply decided to tell me to not read law because it's boring and instead read history and convert to law. Another reason is that a barrister from my father's Set came to our college to speak to all of us who are aspiring to become Barristers and he used a PowerPoint created by the Inner Temple and in 2013, 47 or 49% (I can't remember which one but it doesn't really matter) of the new intake converted to Law.

So all in all, I think that history is probably my best choice.

Quick Reply

Latest