The Student Room Group

Have I made a mistake going to an ex-poly? With really good A level grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by SophieLaw_
My sisters boyfriend got A*A*A* offered a place at University of Liverpool - Law scholarship.

He declined when to LJMU ex poly obv - quantity surveying got a 1st graduated in July and now has an amazing job for a pretty big company!

It doesn't really matter where you go, its mostly down to you!

Although some uni's are better for certain subjects than others.

Can I ask why he declined the Liverpool place?
Original post by Mansun
a very reputable one like Birmingham gives you far more credibility and prestige .

Define 'prestige'.
Original post by Cameron10
Can I ask why he declined the Liverpool place?

I have no idea actually sorry, I don't think anyone ever asked him!
Original post by ZeroIgnition
Wow, I'm in the complete opposite situation as you. Got into Queen Mary for biology with BBD (the D in Biology).
And really questioning whether this is right for me.....

Jesus they let you in to study biology with a D? don't be disheartened by this , take it as an opportunity to show them that they have made the right choice. Congratz :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by returnmigrant
Define 'prestige'.

Prestige is closely associated with quality, respect, reputation, credibility, and importance. The dictionary may have another view, but I'm entitled to my opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
Prestige is closely associated with quality, reputation, credibility, and importance. The dictionary may have another view, but I'm entitled to my onion.

So its an 'onion' - not anything qualifiable with any real meaning then?
Reply 66
I had the choice of Kent or Brookes to do Politics and History and I chose Oxford Brookes in the end, mainly because of it's location, the fact that it wasn't in the middle of nowhere, had a good emphasis on transferable skills to the workplace, for instance the history course gives me a chance to go on a placement at a school/museum etc, while Sussex and Kent don't. and it was near all the major cities in the country.

For me having experience is crucial more than good academic qualifications. Which is funny considering I got A*AB at A level.

But a part of me feels like I should go to somewhere really prestigious, so that my good grades worked for something, but I had a very specific choice of university in mind, i.e had to be near London, not to have too much emphasis on exams, and good work experience opportunities.

So in that respect, it only left Brookes, Kent and Sussex to compete

Sussex currently has vacancies for Politics and History am I am tempted, the course looks better too, but the university seems to have a strong left wing political culture, which might make me feel uncomfortable given my views. Plus it doesn't have the work-based emphasis like Brookes and isn't near all the major cities, just London.

I just feel like because I'm going to an ex-poly I am selling myself short, but another part of me just tells me to grow up, and it doesn't matter where you go, it's what you do there that matters to employers. My best mate got A*A*A for A level and he is going to Swansea, again like my course asking for BBC.

Is it bad that despite being someone who is good academically, I want to go to a university where it's practice for working life, rather than pure prestige?

Cameron10, you should only consider an ex-poly over a traditional university if they offer a course that will give you almost guaranteed top career prospects (Pharmacy, Optometry to name a few). Otherwise it will haunt you forever that you had the chance to go to a top university but didn't. With your grades you could go to Nottingham or Edinburgh, maybe not for your preferred course, but still! These unis have so much more quality and prestige and respect!
Reply 67
So its an 'onion' - not anything qualifiable with any real meaning then?

Whoops, a typo error. Updated now. As I said, the dictionary will give you a succinct definition, but the individual must ultimately determine to what depth and extent ''prestige'' means to them. I worship Edinburgh and most RG graduates, and I look down at most ex-poly graduates. That is just they way it is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
In my experience, university reputation matters a lot, and going to a very reputable one like Birmingham gives you far more credibility and prestige generally.

Apparently I have a great deal of credibility and prestige thanks to the alma mater. I'll let the students know that they haven't been affording me the proper degree of deference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Kitty Pimms
Apparently I have a great deal of credibility and prestige thanks to the alma mater. I'll let the students know that they haven't been affording me the proper degree of deference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh well, I suppose there is no harm in throwing things around to inspire creativity, storylines and ultimately a better product for entertainment. That's what they said for WCW and WWE back in the day. :biggrin:
Original post by Kitty Pimms

Quite. Because of course we all have the brand name of the Uni tattooed on our foreheads at graduation courtesy of the marketing dept, and should the Uni be perceived as 'fashionably clever' right now by 17 year olds still at school, they may curtsey as they pass us.
Reply 71
Quite. Because of course we all have the brand name of the Uni tattooed on our foreheads at graduation courtesy of the marketing dept, and should the Uni be perceived as 'fashionably clever' right now by 17 year olds still at school, they may curtsey as they pass us.

The university certainly gets tattooed on the CV, forever. Maybe some students just weren't aware that ex-polys are generally perceived second or even third rate compared to their more traditional counterparts?
Reply 72
So you had to look up what it means. Oh dear.

I suspect you'll grow out of such bigotry.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. In a few cases I would give the ok to a top student to study at an ex-poly for a highly sought for and career enhancing course, but in most cases definitely not.

I will never ''grow out'' of what you perceive as bigotry, as it is imbedded deeply in society. For example, I did my BSc at Nottingham, then my MSc at Birkbeck, and then I applied and got rejected by UCL to do a PhD in Neuroscience, apparently because my MSc at Birkbeck was not up to scratch. UCL then offered me an MSc instead, which I accepted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
ex-polys are generally perceived second or even third rate compared to their more traditional counterparts

I think you need to get out more.
Reply 74
I think you need to get out more.

Less actually. I want to retire from night clubbing.
For a start Kent isn't in "The Middle of nowhere" the ****....
If you did want to change universities to 'a better' one Exeter, Kent, Liverpool, reading, York and Southampton and Warwick would all take you on your grades to do history in adjustment god luck :smile:
Reply 77
Ditch the muppet Brookes and re-apply to Warwick!
Reply 78
Original post by Mansun
Ditch the muppet Brookes and re-apply to Warwick!

They ask for an AS level and I only did three As levels, and plus an A in history. I got the B in that.
Reply 79
They ask for an AS level and I only did three As levels, and plus an A in history. I got the B in that.

Re-apply again to other places then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending