The Student Room Group

Can’t apply for SFE because of lack of ID/Going to university without a computer

My passport has been belated for some trivial reason, and I still have yet to apply for Disabled Students Allowance. They need other forms of ID, but I don’t have a driving licence either. I don’t know who can fill out an EDIF. I know that I am going to be bereft of a computer that the DSA funding could have provided me with. I don’t know what I should do..
Stop panicking.
Get your birth certificate form signed.
There is somebody who will do it.
There is no other way of getting funding from SFE.
There is no guarantee you'd get DSA either is there?
Reply 2
Original post by balotelli12
Stop panicking.
Get your birth certificate form signed.
There is somebody who will do it.
There is no other way of getting funding from SFE.
There is no guarantee you'd get DSA either is there?

I have gotten it before so it should be fine..

I don't know who will do it; I don't really know anyone and don't have that many mates....
Doctors can sign that form, I do believe.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
Doctors can sign that form, I do believe.

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to the surgery and they said they would charge £50
Reply 5
Original post by Kasa
I have gotten it before so it should be fine..

I don't know who will do it; I don't really know anyone and don't have that many mates....

How did you get it last time? Can you go back to the person who did it back then?

It's also worth bearing in mind that you won't automatically get a laptop provided by DSA. The facilities you get will depend on your assessment - not everyone gets a laptop. Presumably you didn't get one last time, otherwise you'd still have it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
How did you get it last time? Can you go back to the person who did it back then?

It's also worth bearing in mind that you won't automatically get a laptop provided by DSA. The facilities you get will depend on your assessment - not everyone gets a laptop. Presumably you didn't get one last time, otherwise you'd still have it.

No, they were going to give me one but they refunded the cost of the MASSIVE computer I brought
Original post by Kasa
Hi

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to the surgery and they said they would charge £50

To sign a form? Tell them to **** off.
(edited 9 years ago)
Afaik accountants who have known you for 2 years can sign it too.
Reply 9
Original post by TunaTunnel
Afaik accountants who have known you for 2 years can sign it too.

I don't have an accountant.
Reply 10
Original post by Kasa
No, they were going to give me one but they refunded the cost of the MASSIVE computer I brought

So you managed your undergrad degree without a laptop. Obviously it would be more convenient, but is there any reason the Masters makes a laptop so much more vital than it was for the undergrad degree? You appear to have chosen a desktop for that.

You've posted about your degree in detail on TSR. It's clear that the reasons for your disappointing (as you see it) result was nothing to do with the lack of a laptop. You're talking about it as a "make or break" facility and getting yourself in a state about it, when that doesn't appear to be the case from your previous posts.

Again - can you not go back to the person who countersigned for you last time?
Reply 11
So you managed your undergrad degree without a laptop. Obviously it would be more convenient, but is there any reason the Masters makes a laptop so much more vital than it was for the undergrad degree? You appear to have chosen a desktop for that.

The thing is about my undergraduate degree is that I did it at home -- because I was forced to not to leave the house so my computer and laptop were the only connection to the outside world. I am moving up to my university in a month and have no way of traveling up there with such a heavy and expensive piece of equipment. A laptop is naturally more compact.

You've posted about your degree in detail on TSR. It's clear that the reasons for your disappointing (as you see it) result was nothing to do with the lack of a laptop. You're talking about it as a "make or break" facility and getting yourself in a state about it, when that doesn't appear to be the case from your previous posts.

No, it had nothing do with the laptop, but it had more to do with me not receiving the DSA I was entitled to... That and I hated the ****ing thing. This time around I want to everything to be put in place before I start the degree/

Again - can you not go back to the person who countersigned for you last time

I used my passport last time.. Not an Adif..
Reply 12
Original post by Kasa
The thing is about my undergraduate degree is that I did it at home -- because I was forced to not to leave the house so my computer and laptop were the only connection to the outside world. I am moving up to my university in a month and have no way of traveling up there with such a heavy and expensive piece of equipment. A laptop is naturally more compact.

If you already have a laptop, you can't rely on getting a new on via DSA.

No, it had nothing do with the laptop, but it had more to do with me not receiving the DSA I was entitled to... That and I hated the ****ing thing. This time around I want to everything to be put in place before I start the degree/

This close to the start of the academic year, there's no chance that measures will be in place when you start. Even once your application is approved, there can be waiting times of weeks or months for the assessment, depending on where you live. And once you've had the assessment, it takes further time after that to arrange any support facilities/equipment that your assessment recommends.

used my passport last time.. Not an Adif..

£50 would get you what you want. It seems cheap for the kind of benefits you're sure it will bring. Given the amount that a Masters is about to cost, it's a drop in the ocean and would be an investment. The longer you find reasons to delay, the longer you'll be without the support you need.

The bottom line is that you have identified the doctor as your only option. If you won't pay for the signature, then you can't progress your DSA application.
Reply 13
Original post by Klix88
If you already have a laptop, you can't rely on getting a new on via DSA.

This close to the start of the academic year, there's no chance that measures will be in place when you start. Even once your application is approved, there can be waiting times of weeks or months for the assessment, depending on where you live. And once you've had the assessment, it takes further time after that to arrange any support facilities/equipment that your assessment recommends.

£50 would get you what you want. It seems cheap for the kind of benefits you're sure it will bring. Given the amount that a Masters is about to cost, it's a drop in the ocean and would be an investment. The longer you find reasons to delay, the longer you'll be without the support you need.

The bottom line is that you have identified the doctor as your only option. If you won't pay for the signature, then you can't progress your DSA application.

I know I keep saying this but I have repped too many times, but I would have done it again for this post..
http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media/682913/sfe_birth_adopt_cert_form_1415_d.pdf

At the bottom of the frst page, it tells you who can sign the form for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending