The Student Room Group

HELLLPPP,Need advice on What to do!!!!?!?!?!?!ANYONE

offer for pharmacy from Hertfordshire.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tsg100
hello,any help or advice from (preferably people who know their stuff is greatly appreciated.
so i applied to medicine this year,got interview at Liverpool but was unsuccessful ,however i focused on my grades and didn't let that put me down ,i worked my a** off but despite so i didn't achieve AAA during results day of 2014,i was gutted,even shed a tear (not afraid to say it,as i worked hard but don't know what happened)so recently iv been thinking just to do pharmacy (as i received an offer from Hertfordshire (through clearing ,not particularly the best oh well), i was planning to do that then after 5 years do grad medicine,as you can see i am very determined to do med.i was looking through couple threads and also from friends of friends ,i found out that this year people were accepted into med with AAB,i received A(bio) B(chem) B(maths) ,but the B in chem is 3 UMS of an A so i sent it in for remark and hope to see what happens.
what should i do.
1)should i accept the offer for pharmacy from Hertfordshire.
2)should i take a gap year and apply to 4 med unis and 1 pharmacy at a better uni then Hertfordshire(on the grounds that my chem mark goes up)?

Ultimately, it's your choice. However I would take the gap year (tbf I would no matter what the results were because it'd give me time to relax and settle down)
Reply 2
Original post by Andy98
Ultimately, it's your choice. However I would take the gap year (tbf I would no matter what the results were because it'd give me time to relax and settle down)

yeah i understand what you mean,ie not to rush into things and think about it ,thanks for replying dude,right now im just depressed and feel lost.so one year out wouldn't be detrimental to me in the grand scheme of things is what your saying even if i do 5 years pharmacy then 4 years med (9 years then the 1 year of gap year so 10 years)??
Reply 3
Original post by tsg100
yeah i understand what you mean,ie not to rush into things and think about it ,thanks for replying dude,right now im just depressed and feel lost.so one year out wouldn't be detrimental to me in the grand scheme of things is what your saying even if i do 5 years pharmacy then 4 years med (9 years then the 1 year of gap year so 10 years)??

Whoa... didn't realise the course was that long. But yeah - I would prefer to take a year off, because otherwise it'd be 23 straight years of education - and I'd just get fed up
Reply 4
yeah man ,cheers .
Reply 5
Original post by tsg100
yeah man ,cheers .

No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by tsg100
hello,any help or advice from (preferably people who know their stuff is greatly appreciated.
so i applied to medicine this year,got interview at Liverpool but was unsuccessful ,however i focused on my grades and didn't let that put me down ,i worked my a** off but despite so i didn't achieve AAA during results day of 2014,i was gutted,even shed a tear (not afraid to say it,as i worked hard but don't know what happened)so recently iv been thinking just to do pharmacy (as i received an offer from Hertfordshire (through clearing ,not particularly the best oh well), i was planning to do that then after 5 years do grad medicine,as you can see i am very determined to do med.i was looking through couple threads and also from friends of friends ,i found out that this year people were accepted into med with AAB,i received A(bio) B(chem) B(maths) ,but the B in chem is 3 UMS of an A so i sent it in for remark and hope to see what happens.
what should i do.
2)should i take a gap year and apply to 4 med unis and 1 pharmacy at a better uni then Hertfordshire(on the grounds that my chem mark goes up)?

Omg the exact same thing has happened to me... i applied for medicine, had an interview with liverpool, also wasnt successful, i had 4 a levels (maths, chem, bio and physics) to study for so u could imagine the hard work i had to go through. I also didnt achieve AAA and eventually got into Hertfordshire through clearing to do pharmacy. Im going to an open day at the university to see if it'll be worth spending my next 4 years at the university.
Well, what i think ill do is either finish the course of pharmacy and apply to medicine as a graduate or during my course, apply for medicine outside the uk but still in EU.
Reply 7
Original post by tsg100

Original post by Pikenu

What about biomed or biochem then try and transfer after one year? Pharmacy is a long degree to do just to delay doing med. It's also £9k/ year in tuition alone so you're paying a lot of money just to try to do medicine at the end of it.
i would recommend doing pharmacy first and then applying to medicine though however u will need to get a first ! my close friend of mine did this and was accepted to do medicine at Leicester without any hesitation. i would recommend doing pharmacy at herts as the course is very laid back with it 50% coursework and 50% exams ( other university are pure examination which i think is more harder)
Original post by tsg100
what should i do.

I think you should retake your chem and maths and apply to medical schools which accept retakes this following cycles so ;Exeter, plymouth, UEA etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
im so bad at this ,really sorry for taking AGES to reply honestly i have been caught up,yeah i decided to take a gap year apply for medicine 6 year program and do pharmacy as a back up (at UCL) (something i wanted to do if all else fails anyway),But i got my CHEM remark and it went up so now i got A-maths,A-biology and B-maths.REALLY sorrry for taking ages to reply i didn't really get notified with regards to your responses and when i logged just recently i saw the replies .Honestly thank you guys.

just a quick question if you were taking a gap year or have taken a gap year,do unis tend to reply later to gap year applicants or is it just me(im guessing the former)??iv sent my application on 8th October ,NO response is good response i presume.
Reply 11
Original post by Hanz_a93
I think you should retake your chem and maths and apply to medical schools which accept retakes this following cycles so ;Exeter, plymouth, UEA etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you very much ,that's also an option as i have to only retake maths now because i have AAB (bio chem maths respectively)

but honestly during my A-levels my mum got into an accident (car crash)and i had to look after my siblings,(this affected my performance at A-level)(i think that counts as extenuating circumstances-but when i asked my mum for a note to take to the school she said NO ( i dont understand why maybe she didn't want to look like a bad parent :s-smilie: who cant look after her kids,but not going into too much detail,i have 2 siblings and my mum is a lone parent,father past away in year 10-11.honestly i felt i can achieve a place in medical school without using excuses and relying on anyone else even my mum.

SORRY for the long post.:colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by micra's rule
i would recommend doing pharmacy first and then applying to medicine though however u will need to get a first ! my close friend of mine did this and was accepted to do medicine at Leicester without any hesitation. i would recommend doing pharmacy at herts as the course is very laid back with it 50% coursework and 50% exams ( other university are pure examination which i think is more harder)

thank you for replying ,that boat has sailed away but i have applied for pharmacy as a back up and we will see how it goes from there at another uni.
Reply 13
Original post by Pikenu
Omg the exact same thing has happened to me... i applied for medicine, had an interview with liverpool, also wasnt successful, i had 4 a levels (maths, chem, bio and physics) to study for so u could imagine the hard work i had to go through. I also didnt achieve AAA and eventually got into Hertfordshire through clearing to do pharmacy. Im going to an open day at the university to see if it'll be worth spending my next 4 years at the university.
Well, what i think ill do is either finish the course of pharmacy and apply to medicine as a graduate or during my course, apply for medicine outside the uk but still in EU.

SERIOUSLY,woow we were in the same place wow,private message me :smile::smile:,
i hope things worked out for you ,i decided to take a gap year after weeks of consulting,wbu how did it go for you,what did you decide to do??
Reply 14
Original post by Cerdic
What about biomed or biochem then try and transfer after one year? Pharmacy is a long degree to do just to delay doing med. It's also £9k/ year in tuition alone so you're paying a lot of money just to try to do medicine at the end of it.

really sorry for the extended period of time to reply ,yeah honestly its what i want to do for the rest of my life and i can see myself doing medicine no matter how long it takes (lool not longer then 15 year),honestly because your going to be living on this earth regardless of what your doing, so might aswell chase you dreams and do whats in your heart, i would drop everything just to do medcine,i would leave my family for 10 years just to do medicine,i would travel to another country if i was finacncilally stable to study there,i would give up getting a GF (lool sounds weird ) to do medicine,so i am that pationate and driven.

Quick Reply

Latest