The Student Room Group

Plymouth vs Penryn NEED ANSWERS BY MONDAY

I logged into UCAS track on Thursday morning to see that my offer to study History at the University of Exeter had been accepted, but at the Penryn campus rather than Streatham. I have to reply to my offers by August 18th or I lose that and my insurance choice, Plymouth. As a resident in Devon I'd wanted to stay close to home so obviously this really threw me, I visited Penryn on Thursday and whilst I did like it and the idea of a small, laidback uni, I'm wondering if it will be TOO quiet? I think I'd prefer country life to the city centre location of Plymouth but would it be too boring? Also, I understand that it's a Russell Group uni so it's going to be challenging, but is the work manageable? I had serious issues coping with stress at exam time and the idea of being stuck in Cornwall under a lot of pressure with no support from friends or family in the area (I don't know anyone going to Cornwall, most of my year group are going to Plymouth) is really worrying me, and I feel that what I know about the course is quite vague compared to what I know about the Plymouth course, which I know I like, but I don't want to turn down the opportunity to go to such a good uni in a really beautiful place. The idea of going there sounds good, but while I know the essentials, I've been once compared to visiting Plymouth three times, and I don't know whether taking a risk and going would pay off or I'd seriously regret it. I kind of want to accept it instead of wondering 'what if' but I don't know whether the risk is worth it. Also, would I still get accommodation in Penryn? I applied for it in Exeter obviously but haven't in Cornwall or Plymouth. I haven't been able to celebrate getting ABB in my A Levels (plus an A in my EPQ) because I've been so worried so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by DaniT12345
I logged into UCAS track on Thursday morning to see that my offer to study History at the University of Exeter had been accepted, but at the Penryn campus rather than Streatham. I have to reply to my offers by August 18th or I lose that and my insurance choice, Plymouth. As a resident in Devon I'd wanted to stay close to home so obviously this really threw me, I visited Penryn on Thursday and whilst I did like it and the idea of a small, laidback uni, I'm wondering if it will be TOO quiet? I think I'd prefer country life to the city centre location of Plymouth but would it be too boring? Also, I understand that it's a Russell Group uni so it's going to be challenging, but is the work manageable? I had serious issues coping with stress at exam time and the idea of being stuck in Cornwall under a lot of pressure with no support from friends or family in the area (I don't know anyone going to Cornwall, most of my year group are going to Plymouth) is really worrying me, and I feel that what I know about the course is quite vague compared to what I know about the Plymouth course, which I know I like, but I don't want to turn down the opportunity to go to such a good uni in a really beautiful place. The idea of going there sounds good, but while I know the essentials, I've been once compared to visiting Plymouth three times, and I don't know whether taking a risk and going would pay off or I'd seriously regret it. I kind of want to accept it instead of wondering 'what if' but I don't know whether the risk is worth it. Also, would I still get accommodation in Penryn? I applied for it in Exeter obviously but haven't in Cornwall or Plymouth. I haven't been able to celebrate getting ABB in my A Levels (plus an A in my EPQ) because I've been so worried so any help would be greatly appreciated!

It would certainly look better on your CV to have a History degree from Exeter than from Plymouth.

Which course content do you prefer?
Especially how exeter is a top 10 uni, and in the russel group, it has a very high reputation.
Reply 3
Thanks for replying and yes I know it would but at the end of the day a degree is a degree, I prefer the course content at Plymouth so I've just accepted the offer there, Exeter/Cornwall may be more prestigious but if I'm doing the course for three years it should be one I'll enjoy really, I came to the conclusion (after much stress) that I would rather be happy at a less renowned uni than miserable at Russell Group one, but then maybe that's just me
Even though you've decided now, you will make new friends at uni. Doesn't matter too much where the rest of your year group is going imo. You'll never see them at uni anyway.

Everyone makes new friends at uni. Otherwise we'd all go round as a bunch of loners :smile:

So you'll be fine wherever you go.

As for the course, I'm glad you went with the one you preferred content wise :biggrin:
Original post by DaniT12345
Thanks for replying and yes I know it would but at the end of the day a degree is a degree, I prefer the course content at Plymouth so I've just accepted the offer there, Exeter/Cornwall may be more prestigious but if I'm doing the course for three years it should be one I'll enjoy really, I came to the conclusion (after much stress) that I would rather be happy at a less renowned uni than miserable at Russell Group one, but then maybe that's just me

I had the exact same dilemma when in was choosing my firm and insurance! At the end of the day yes Exeter is brilliant and everything but so is Plymouth, its 3 years and there's no point being miserable stuck in a place you aren't happy with :smile: I chose Plymouth (with a lot of stress too) over Exeter, I totally agree with you :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending