The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CallMeJay
Match of the day is going to be great. A Man United loss and an Arsenal win.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't count on it tbh. It'll be something along the lines of "Man united were unlucky today" and as for us something stupid like "They scraped a win through an unconvincing performance with mediocre looking players".
Original post by barneystin
good? no.

proficient? yes.

Give him credit where it's due.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Right. I'm gonna say it. Idgaf. MONREAL WAS GOOD TODAY. There, I said it.

Eat your flipping heart out.

Better than usual I would say.

Made some good runs as well.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Give him credit where it's due.

credit for what exactly?

what exactly did he do that was 'good'? get into a goal scoring position once?
Original post by jam278
Travelling without moving :hi5:

Yeah fast persuader is a good tune tbf.

Synkronized I got used to it but yeah felt a bit dark like you say although Canned heat was very good. Funk Odyssey. Genuinely can't find a best album. Emergency on Planet earth to Dynamite were all good. Synkronized probably the weakest of them but still good. Probs will choose Return of Space Cowboy or TWM.

How can I forget Mr Moon and Soul Education. Good tune are the songs on the B side of a funk odyssey, everybody's going to the moon and Do it Like We Used To Do.

How could I forget the B-sides?

Do You Know Where You're Coming From on Travelling Without Moving and Shoot The Moon from A Funk Odyssey :coma:
Original post by sevchenko
Are you really asking that question. Sanchez was one of the better players today, yeah he lost the ball sometimes but he made things happen. With 2 assist in 2 games, you can't say he hasn't improved the team. Please bare in mind we're missing the Germans and I still think we'll add in the window. You can't complain if we get a CB and CDM

Sanchez was terrible lol. Lost the ball constantly. No end product.

He wasn't very good vs city either

i watched him a lot at barca. Walcott is definetley the better player and he won't displace giroud so we'll see if he can adapt to the left side
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by baconbutty
Sanchez was terrible lol. Lost the ball constantly. No end product.

He wasn't very good vs city either

i watched him a lot at barca. Walcott is definetley the better player and he won't displace giroud so we'll see if he can adapt to the left side

35m down the drain ffs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Webster2002
35m down the drain ffs

Posted from TSR Mobile

With fabregas going for 27m it does put things in to perspective a bit. Fabregas is a far better player barca have done really well to get 35m for sanchez who for most of his time there was poor. I've said from day 1 I wasn't excited about him tbh and from what I've seen so far I've been justified. The signing stinks of a flop who wenger continues to play through poor form
Baconbutty spitting the truth.

we bought a CB (?), a RB, a winger (?). but the starting eleven hasnt been drastically improved.

He does have a point. At the end of last season we were begging for a new ST and a DM, and we don't have either. All we have done is fill the gaps in the team of the players who have left plus Sanchez, and we now need to get an extra CB.

Unless we get a ST and DM along with the CB we know we are after, I can't see us finishing higher than 3rd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
disappointed in your performance today, however you got the win in the end so it doesn't matter.
your signings didn't seem to have increased the quality in your team looking at today, however it would be foolish to say such things with certainty after a single game.
although he got an assist, sanchez was extremely below par.
i have no doubt he'll improve though

i suppose people could look at the game today, seeing you struggling and say you won't have a good season.
however all that matters is that you got the points.

look at it this way - united didn't perform and they got 0 points; arsenal didn't perform and they got 3 points.
that is the big difference between the two teams right now as far as i'm concerned.
(edited 9 years ago)
from what I've seen so far I've been justified. The signing stinks of a flop who wenger continues to play through poor form

This would be reasonable if it was the case 10 games into the season. Now it's 1 game in and this is just funny to read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Webster2002
This would be reasonable if it was the case 10 games into the season. Now it's 1 game in and this is just funny to read.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He played vs man city and in two preseason games.
The transfer window isn't over yet, it's Day 1 of the season :rofl2:

Sometimes it's not all about fancy performance or football, grinding it out is sometimes the way to do - I always respected Man Utd's ability to do this even when they were crappy when Fergie was around.

He did indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yer poor today really but it's very hard to do well against Palace when they're in full bus parking mode. Wins a win and not much should be read into it other than we need to improve the final ball. Sanogo didnt help of course.

Few thoughts:
-Cazorla for me has declined and in all honesty should not be in our XI is avoidable. So many deficiencies in his game are hidden behind his technique(which is mainly without final product)
-AOC should start at LW for us.
-Wilshere and Ramsey generally shouldnt play together as things stand, no synergies at all
-Sanogo is only useful to chuck on when we need someone to cause panic in the opposition box. He lacks basically everything youd expect from a striker at Arsenal. Joel Campbell is surely better.
-Chambers looks like a goer, would be even better with Mertesacker.
-Sanchez looked good to me, love his work rate and energy. Made things happen but faded as the Palace did what they do.
-Debuchy will cost us so so many goals this season, would actually prefer Chambers RB tbh
-Monreal is underrated
-Ramsey is our go to player now when we need inspiration, seems to relish that! He's approaching Gerrrd/Lampard levels of effectiveness for us now.
(edited 9 years ago)

in fairness, pre-season isn't all too reliable.
especially if you look at how united won all their games but were desperately poor today.

i'd just give him time - if he hasn't improved after 5 or 10 guys i would get a little worried.
Original post by Zürich
Yer poor today really but it's very hard to do well against Palace when they're in full bus parking mode. Wins a win and not much should be read into it other than we need to improve the final ball. Sanogo didnt help of course.

Few thoughts:
-Cazorla for me has declined and in all honesty should not be in our XI is avoidable. So many deficiencies in his game are hidden behind his technique(which is mainly without final product)
-Wilshere and Ramsey generally shouldnt play together as things stand, no synergies at all
-Sanogo is only useful to chuck on when we need someone to cause panic in the opposition box. He lacks basically everything youd expect from a striker at Arsenal. Joel Campbell is surely better.
-Chambers looks like a goer, would be even better with Mertesacker.
-Sanchez looked good to me, love his work rate and energy. Made things happen but faded as the Palace did what they do.
-Debuchy will cost us so so many goals this season, would actually prefer Chambers RB tbh
-Monreal is underrated
-Ramsey is our go to player now when we need inspiration, seems to relish that! He's approaching Gerrrd/Lampard levels of effectiveness for us now.

This. He just goes missing in defending set pieces.
credit for what exactly?

what exactly did he do that was 'good'? get into a goal scoring position once?

I think you are being a bit harsh tbh just because it's Monreal.

He made some good runs, had good interception, he did well on the left and was composed in possession. He was good going forward, calm in the final third and was also solid defensively. I'm sorry but he did well coming off the bench.

Original post by natty_d
Better than usual I would say.

Made some good runs as well.

Exactly that.
Original post by Tom_Ford
This. He just goes missing in defending set pieces.

Call me old fashioned, but the no.1 thing I demand in a wing back is concentration and reliability in the basics. Your Lee Dixons and Nigel Winterburns. Debuchy to me is the kind of wing back you might get away with a versatile CM like Martinez who will slot in when gaps appear(like he does for Alaba) but we're wide open at RB with our system. You might not see it so much on TV, but the space was just gaping mate. And even when he is in position, he doesnt inspire me with great confidence in his 1v1 defending. This will e worse with TW, Alexis actually covered loads for him today with his work rate
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
in fairness, pre-season isn't all too reliable.
especially if you look at how united won all their games but were desperately poor today.

i'd just give him time - if he hasn't improved after 5 or 10 guys i would get a little worried.

He's always been a frustrating player to watch and i don't see that changing. There's no way he's going to get to play in his favoured position at arsenal.

He isn't this Walcott-esque alternative a lot of arsenal fans think he is.

Also cringing to see people praising him saying he had a great game. He was poor and needs to improve his decision making and final product a lot because in an arsene wenger team he'll find himself shafted out to the wings more often than not

Latest