The Student Room Group

Can one become stupid?

Ok, I've got 4a*6a at gcse
achieved bcd at A level
I did study hard..

Can someone give me a possible explanation... I am so ****ing confused and my dreams are shattered

Thank you
I know exactly how you feel right now.

i got 3a* and 7's at GCSE and now im sitting here with my a level results which are cdd.

worst feeling ever when everyone expects so much of you.
It's not becoming stupid, it's the epic fail at the GIGANTIC jump between GCSE and A level.
Trust me, the jump from A level to degree is far easier than from GCSE to A level...
Reply 3
Original post by Scienceisgood
It's not becoming stupid, it's the epic fail at the GIGANTIC jump between GCSE and A level.
Trust me, the jump from A level to degree is far easier than from GCSE to A level...

Ok, that sounds somewhat reassuring...

So how do people still manage to meet their offers if the jump is so massive.

Guess I am still relatively stupid :\
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, that sounds somewhat reassuring...

So how do people still manage to meet their offers if the jump is so massive.

Guess I am still relatively stupid :\

Or I'm just epicly lucky where I got in through clearing because of Edexcel's epic fail of their "fair" maths papers in June 2013...
TBH, I think the uni wanted my money... still got in though, my other grades were good except maths...
Reply 5
After graduating 2 years ago, I can easily say A levels were the hardest things I've ever sat. Period.
I think it's the change in how the subjects are. At GCSE I got A* in Maths come AS level I had a U first time around, I resat and got a D in maths. At GCSE I got a B in history, at A-level I got a A* overall. I had a complete reversal in the subjects I was good at.
Companies must view corporate health programs more as an investment and less as expenditure. This is because only if companies have a healthy workforce, can they grow and develop. An unhealthy employee is not able to give their 100% dedication to the job. Moreover, sometimes work involves dealing with hazardous and life threatening situations. If an employee gets injured at work and the company does not have a health and safety program in place, the repercussions could be drastic.
Reply 8
Doesn't help that teachers don't tell how much work you need to put in to get good grades either.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, I've got 4a*6a at gcse
achieved bcd at A level
I did study hard..

Can someone give me a possible explanation... I am so ****ing confused and my dreams are shattered

Thank you

It's simple. Your rich parents sent you to a privileged private school where you didn't need to work hard for your grades. You were spoon fed all your life, so the transition to a normal state school hit you like a ton of bricks.

So it's not really that you became dumb. You've actually always been dumb but private schools have a way of hiding these things. It takes a state school to really distinguish the idiots from the geniuses.
Why do people do A levels? seem more trouble than they're worth... why not just go to college then Uni? (note: my bro did good in GCSEs, but epic failed at Alevel.)
Original post by Sex God
It's simple. Your rich parents sent you to a privileged private school where you didn't need to work hard for your grades. You were spoon fed all your life, so the transition to a normal state school hit you like a ton of bricks.

So it's not really that you became dumb. You've actually always been dumb but private schools have a way of hiding these things. It takes a state school to really distinguish the idiots from the geniuses.

Emm, I've always been to state schools. :s
Reply 12
The jump from GCSES to Alevel is massive. (Bigger than the jump from Alevel to uni in my opinion)
So, don't be disheartened.
Also, I think over the period of Alevels you lose concentration and focus because you hit the age of 'independence' For instance, you can learn to drive, you can legally drink and club, you tend to be more independent and it's the final years of puberty. A lot happens over the space of two years.
Alevels tend to be more stressful than GCSEs because there's a lot more riding on them!

I highly doubt you've become less smart. They're designed to be more difficult than GCSEs!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest