The Student Room Group

I think Edexcel screwed up a lot

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Compost
We have considerably more success in getting Edexcel to change marks than we do with OCR's slower approach, so it's not evident from the user end.

by success you mean quicker? I have requested remarks for the department and was also involved in the remark process and I have never heard or received a script in 1 hour or 1 working day, I just don't see how it could be feasible. Last year it took around 5 working days for a candidate to get it back for Edexcel Economics.
Original post by NoobandBad
Lol, Surprisingly I have to agree with you, I mean cmon I got 97/100/95 and one 48/100 . Which I was predicted atleast 80+ or even higher

Yup, I agree too. My friend worked her a** off for her Chem and Bio papers, she wants to be a Vet in the future, and for her mocks she got A's- she got a D for the real AS a few days ago, which doesn't make sense.
How are all these marks so low? Crazy.
Not that bad at all, but I was only 3 UMS from an A (1 raw mark per paper) in my AS EdExcel Spanish exams. Not sure if there's any point getting a remark but it did kinda annoy me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by keynes24
by success you mean quicker? I have requested remarks for the department and was also involved in the remark process and I have never heard or received a script in 1 hour or 1 working day, I just don't see how it could be feasible. Last year it took around 5 working days for a candidate to get it back for Edexcel Economics.

No, I mean that a higher % of Edexcel remarks result in a higher grade than do OCR's re-marks. This reassures me they don't just send it back unchanged without re-marking it.

One of my colleagues is a Physics marker and he expects to go home on Results Day to do a bunch of re-marks which he returns to Edexcel that night. I'm measuring my time from when I submit the request to Edexcel to when I get the email saying it's done. You are presumably measuring the time from when you ask your exams officer to get a re-mark to when she tells you it is back. That is not the same thing and may account for a fair bit of the difference.
Original post by AlexKay99
I've been reading a lot of posts by people studying with edexcel, who used to get As in their subject and ended up with E's and U's. A friend of mine has the same problem with biology. I think Edexcel might have screwed up a lot this exam season, either they marked them incorrectly or there were some mistakes.

Anyone agree?

Na edexcel did not screw up as they did my results accurately, you guys just can't accept that you lack of work ethic lead to Es and Us. Anyone who worked hard will at least get a B. Anything lower is down to laziness or non-intentional circumstances.

Considering you are familiar with the remark process, could you tell me how it actually works? Does the new examiner mark the paper without seeing the mark and grade given beforehand? I also read on another thread that for essay-based subjects, bands are assigned to the quality of a paper and that if the new examiner and the previous examiner agree upon the band, the mark cannot change. Is this true?
Original post by fifidi
Hi, Son's school say '7 days from first published' for a photocopy of the script, they sent some requests in yesterday and got the copies today on screen from edexcel! They say the 7 day deadline is imposed by the exam board. Copies allow time to look for extra marks - original scripts do not as they cannot then be remarked as they are no longer secure once they have been sent to you, so don't request those. Copies come back quickly. You will then have until 19th/20th September (saturday?!) to ask for a re marking of your script. Do not send for your original in the first place, send for a copy. No re- marking can take place if you have the original. My son was told that he should have enough time to check the copy, request a re mark AND have the results back in time for the 15th of October UCAS deadline for Oxbridge/ medicine.
Phone your 6th form - they may have forms and advice which is more suited to you. Good luck.
I have replied to message too - my son has given me the info, he says remember it's relevant for his school and other schools may have earlier than 21st of Aug deadline for copy requests.
:smile:

Thank you, this was very helpful :smile:
Original post by Petrue
^ This. I got 62 UMS (C) on ECON1 yet I got 83 UMS (A) for ECON2, 65/80 UMS (A) for ECON3 and 120 UMS (A*) for ECON4.. Something was wrong with that exam.

I know of someone else who this has happened to as well...are you going to request a copy of your paper?
Original post by Galileo Galilei
This happened to me other way round 95 in Unit 1, C in Unit 2.

It's so weird, do you feel Unit 2 went well compared to your grade?
Original post by ilikechemistry
I know of someone else who this has happened to as well...are you going to request a copy of your paper?

Happened to two of my friends, straight A's in the other modules but C's in ECON1. Nahh I won't: I still got into my firm so I'm not bothered about it, it was just a bit annoying to see on my results sheet!
Original post by Petrue
Happened to two of my friends, straight A's in the other modules but C's in ECON1. Nahh I won't: I still got into my firm so I'm not bothered about it, it was just a bit annoying to see on my results sheet!

That's strange. I got 90%+ in almost all of my school assessments for econ, and I came out of the economics unit 1 exam confident I had achieved 90%+ again. I found out on results day that I had only achieved a B.. Hopefully my remark changes that.
(edited 9 years ago)
I speak from experience as well since I have done remarks before, if it takes 1 hour or 1 working day then there is something seriously wrong with the system.

How do remarks work? Does the examiner see the previous score before submitting their own mark?
Reply 173
Hi all,

how would you contact the exams officer if it's holidays?

I am thinking of going in on Thursday (GCSE results day) but are there any better ideas?

Thanks
Original post by JuliOkayama
Considering you are familiar with the remark process, could you tell me how it actually works? Does the new examiner mark the paper without seeing the mark and grade given beforehand? I also read on another thread that for essay-based subjects, bands are assigned to the quality of a paper and that if the new examiner and the previous examiner agree upon the band, the mark cannot change. Is this true?

The previous score is not shown including essay based subjects unless the script was a hard copy. Occasionally a few scripts are not scanned due to damage to them or additional pages included so on those I would see the initial annotation but in the majority of cases it will be scanned without any previous annotation shown. I am not aware of any bands, if there is no difference in marks then there wouldn't be a change. If there is a significant difference in marks a 3rd examiner possibly a senior examiner is likely to get involved. Before remarks start a standardisation process is taking place, so you need to do some practice marking to make sure examiners are familiar with the mark scheme since it has been a few weeks from the competition of all marking. That's why I am dubious of the claims that remarks can be sent back after 1 hour or 1 working day. This is the case for Economics and Business Studies, mathematics also follows a similar process.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AlexKay99
I've been reading a lot of posts by people studying with edexcel, who used to get As in their subject and ended up with E's and U's. A friend of mine has the same problem with biology. I think Edexcel might have screwed up a lot this exam season, either they marked them incorrectly or there were some mistakes.

Anyone agree?

I completely agree ! Complete marks on mocks, walked into and out of the exam centers, after all Biology papers feeling might proud of my self, because I knew every single answer , and yet I received a big U.. Not sure how this happened. I am completely baffled..

Their marks conversion system is messed up.

Also, this happened to bunch of other friends too.
IAL was supposed to be for international students. Our first language is not English. No mercy at all :frown:
Reply 176
Send in edexcel priority remark for 3 papers and haven't heard back. Sent them first thing on Thursday morning.. my uni place depends on this and also my clearing choice as well :/
Did anyone send on Thursday morning and got back already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hieuluu
Send in edexcel priority remark for 3 papers and haven't heard back. Sent them first thing on Thursday morning.. my uni place depends on this and also my clearing choice as well :/
Did anyone send on Thursday morning and got back already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We had 3 requests submitted by mid day on Thursday, no reply yet. As mentioned before I would find it very unusual for a script to be back by Friday after just one working day.
I got B's and C's in my Chemistry Mock Exams, got U's in the real ones...

Admittedly I found the exams challenging, but I'm sure I must have achieved higher than a U, especially since people in my class who got U's in the mocks came out with D's (still not great but you know, higher than me...)

What's wrong edexcel?
Totally agree with this. I sat Economics Unit 1 with great confidence and I came out of that exam KNOWING I would get that A easily. It was my easiest paper, honestly. I practiced practiced and practiced the exam technique in and out did every single past paper that ever existed and got A's on every single one. But no, somehow Edexcel decides to give me a D. And what's funny is that I thought I was so sure that I flunked Unit 2 and I ended up getting 93/100. And I faced the exact same thing with Politics except that I sat both papers with confidence got an A in paper 1 which was OK and a D in paper 2 in which I was expecting an A in. And I know A LOT of people who ended up with averages of D's E's and U's.

Quick Reply

Latest