The Student Room Group

What grades will I be predicted?

At the start of AS levels I was predicted CDDD, I managed to get AABB (shows how bull**** the system is already).

My subjects:
Biology - A (96% UMS)
Chemistry - A (a very low A)
English - B
Psychology - B

I want to take English, Biology + Chemistry at A2. Throughout the whole year I didn't put any effort in and was getting D's and U's in Biology + Chemistry whilst getting consistent B Grades in English (with no effort). I revised at the end of the year and only managed a C in the English exam (but my extremely high grade A coursework brought it up to a B overall).

To surmise, what grades do you think I will be predicted, taking into account that although I got A's in my actual science exams, I was getting C's, D's and U's due to lack of effort throughout the year in assessments.??

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't bother retaking if I were you otherwise its just more exams and u should focus on a2
Bio A*
Chemistry A/A*
English B/A
Psych B
Reply 2
A*AAA - A*ABB, depends on your school's policy (sadly)
Reply 3
Original post by Exon
A*AAA - A*ABB, depends on your school's policy (sadly)

Yeah, the thing is I don't think my teachers really like me either :frown:. Thanks for the reply! +1'ed
Original post by JoshZ
At the start of AS levels I was predicted CDDD, I managed to get AABB (shows how bull**** the system is already).

My subjects:
Biology - A (96% UMS)
English - B
Psychology - B

I want to take English, Biology + Chemistry at A2. Throughout the whole year I didn't put any effort in and was getting D's and U's in Biology + Chemistry whilst getting consistent B Grades in English (with no effort). I revised at the end of the year and only managed a C in the English exam (but my extremely high grade A coursework brought it up to a B overall).

To surmise, what grades do you think I will be predicted, taking into account that although I got A's in my actual science exams, I was getting C's, D's and U's due to lack of effort throughout the year in assessments.??

A*, A, B, B I expect.
Reply 5
Original post by Aneesah_May
I wouldn't bother retaking if I were you otherwise its just more exams and u should focus on a2
Bio A*
Chemistry A/A*
English B/A
Psych B

Thanks for the reply, +1'ed. Is there really a chance they would predict me an A* in chemistry!? That would be ridiculous :smile:.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
A*, A, B, B I expect.

Thanks, do you know if I can still apply for AAA courses with an A*ABB prediction?
Original post by JoshZ

My subjects:
Biology - A (96% UMS)
English - B
Psychology - B

lol couldn't agree with you more
Original post by JoshZ
Thanks for the reply, +1'ed. Is there really a chance they would predict me an A* in chemistry!? That would be ridiculous :smile:.

Original post by JoshZ
Thanks, do you know if I can still apply for AAA courses with an A*ABB prediction?

You can get an A*even if you got a B in As level. It doesn't matter how high the A is at AS its A2 which counts and you said your gonna try harder

If unis ask for AAA then grades which are similar to that are acceptable eg A*AB or A*A*C. Cardiff uni website clarify the entry requirements on theur course list
Reply 9
Original post by Aneesah_May
You can get an A*even if you got a B in As level. It doesn't matter how high the A is at AS its A2 which counts and you said your gonna try harder

If unis ask for AAA then grades which are similar to that are acceptable eg A*AB or A*A*C. Cardiff uni website clarify the entry requirements on theur course list

Oh wow, that's a relief! I'll be aiming for an A* in chemistry next year then :biggrin:. So do I only have to get 90%+ in the chemistry exam to get an A*?
Surely if you start putting in effort in A2 and get decent grades in tests and essays your teacher will predict you the grades you want, since you got B for English and psyhology I don't see no reason why you won't be predicted A's if you put effort in. In my case my teacher was ready to predict me two grades. AABB are brilliant grades so you definitely have the ability to achieve A*/A in A2.
Original post by JoshZ

No you can't. Even though A*AB is the same amount of UCAS points as AAA, it's not the same in the eyes of universities as they want to see you can consistently achieve A grades in a range if subjects, and one cannot compensate for another. You will need to be predicted an A in English; how far away from an A were you? It might be worth retaking the AS exam to boost your grade. Some universities like Cardiff above will let people in with equivalent grades, but the vast majority of the time this is not the case for somewhere asking for AAA.

Drop psychology and don't resit anything for it; a B in AS is fine and you don't want more work than you need. Do whatever you can to get an A prediction in English; make an action an of how you're going to get it, be super organised, start reading your texts (and ideally finish reading) for A2 before you start, etc. It's not unusual to be predicated a grade above what you get at AS, but you're going to need to show you can get there, especially if the teachers don't like you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JoshZ
Oh wow, that's a relief! I'll be aiming for an A* in chemistry next year then :biggrin:. So do I only have to get 90%+ in the chemistry exam to get an A*?

You need to collectively get 270 out of 300 across the exams and the ISA, as well as getting 480 UMS across the whole A-level. It doesn't matter what percentage you get in each A2 component, so if you got 85, 95 and 90, then you'd still get the A*, as long as your A2 UMS added up to 270.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JoshZ

Yh basically
Even the english can be put up to an A* but you'll need close to 100% ums
Reply 14
Original post by Pectorac
No you can't. Even though A*AB is the same amount of UCAS points as AAA, it's not the same in the eyes of universities as they want to see you can consistently achieve A grades in a range if subjects, and one cannot compensate for another. You will need to be predicted an A in English; how far away from an A were you? It might be worth retaking the AS exam to boost your grade. Some universities like Cardiff above will let people in with equivalent grades, but the vast majority of the time this is not the case for somewhere asking for AAA.

Drop psychology and don't resit anything for it; a B in AS is fine and you don't want more work than you need. Do whatever you can to get an A prediction in English; make an action an of how you're going to get it, be super organised, start reading your texts (and ideally finish reading) for A2 before you start, etc. It's not unusual to be predicated a grade above what you get at AS, but you're going to need to show you can get there, especially if the teachers don't like you.

I don't know how far away I am, I tried looking on the AQA website and it's all just a bit confusing :frown:. I may even get my English remarked because that was the exam I was most confident on, I thought it was my best piece of writing to date :/.
Original post by JoshZ
I don't know how far away I am, I tried looking on the AQA website and it's all just a bit confusing :frown:. I may even get my English remarked because that was the exam I was most confident on, I thought it was my best piece of writing to date :/.

Well what UMS did you get? 160 is an A, 140 is a B, 120 is a C.
Reply 16
Well what UMS did you get? 160 is an A, 140 is a B, 120 is a C.

I got 154 UMS. (English Language).
Original post by JoshZ
I got 154 UMS.

Then you were only 6 UMS away from an A, and you will certainly get predicted an A for A2; don't worry about it. Remember that in a remark, your mark and grade can go down as well as up and you have to take the lower mark, so you need to decide whether it's worth it or not. I think the best thing to do would be to request a photocopy of your paper, and go through it with your teacher when it arrives. If they think it should have been an A, get it remarked as there will still be time to do that. If they don't, then you've saved yourself a bit of money and your grade potentially going down. If your teacher doesn't like you, then I'm sure another English teacher would be happy to go through your paper with you.

You will have to pay for both the photocopy and the remark, but if the teacher thinks it's not worth remarking, you'll save yourself the remark cost which is more than the photocopy cost.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Then you were only 6 UMS away from an A, and you will certainly get predicted an A for A2; don't worry about it. Remember that in a remark, your mark and grade can go down as well as up and you have to take the lower mark, so you need to decide whether it's worth it or not. I think the best thing to do would be to request a photocopy of your paper, and to go through it with your teacher when it arrives. If they think it should have been an A, get it remarked as there will still be time to do that. If they don't, then you've saved yourself a bit of money and your grade potentially going down. If your teacher doesn't like you, then I'm sure another English teacher would be happy to go through your paper with you.

You will have to pay for both the photocopy and the remark, but if the teacher thinks it's not worth remarking, you'll have yourself the remark cost which is more than the photocopy cost.

OK, thanks for all of the advice! I think I'll get a photocopy like you said and go from there. My English teacher actually likes me, it's just my other three subject teachers that don't so I should be okay :smile:.
my school generally just predict you one grade above your AS results...

Quick Reply

Latest