The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Call me old fashioned, but the no.1 thing I demand in a wing back is concentration and reliability in the basics. Your Lee Dixons and Nigel Winterburns. Debuchy to me is the kind of wing back you might get away with a versatile CM like Martinez who will slot in when gaps appear(like he does for Alaba) but we're wide open at RB with our system. You might not see it so much on TV, but the space was just gaping mate.

They do say wing backs are essentially failed wingers.

Anyway, who knows what Wenger is thinking though? Maybe we are getting a versatile CM to close those gaps? I hope he at least brings SOMEONE in to sit in DM. Otherwise, with the good teams that have speed, power, and can exploit those spaces... we're basically ****ed. Also factor in that we have Merts who is not the most mobile of defenders.
Original post by baconbutty
He's always been a frustrating player to watch and i don't see that changing. There's no way he's going to get to play in his favoured position at arsenal.

He isn't this Walcott-esque alternative a lot of arsenal fans think he is.

Also cringing to see people praising him saying he had a great game. He was poor and needs to improve his decision making and final product a lot because in an arsene wenger team he'll find himself shafted out to the wings more often than not

He looked more comfortable playing at the front for Chile then on the wings, but he had Vargas playing along side him. Maybe when Walcott comes back, he can play alongside him up front?
He's always been a frustrating player to watch and i don't see that changing. There's no way he's going to get to play in his favoured position at arsenal.

Also cringing to see people praising him saying he had a great game. He was poor and needs to improve his decision making and final product a lot because in an arsene wenger team he'll find himself shafted out to the wings more often than not

that's fair enough - you almost certainly have seen more of him than i have.
he was dire today but i'll leave it a few games before i criticise him too much
i think the physicality of the PL surprised him; he was often getting knocked off the ball.

people saying he had a good game are deluded.
just because he cost 35m, doesn't mean he's gonna play 10/10 every week.
final product in particular is essential - he wasted so many decent opportunities by having awful crosses.

exactly, with the AMs you have, he isn't gonna be played centrally
might occasionally be played as a striker, but with him being so tiny and arguably weak, i wouldn't advise it.

In his debut against a bus parking Palace team, you're singling out Alexis when he managed an assist and did OK. Not sure what you expected from him today, but he looked sharp and we saw glimpses of something very different to what we had last season. He wanted to take people on, unfortunately short of a Maradonna, it's hard to do much against 11 Palace players sitting deep.

Why always the witch hunts?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
In his debut against a bus parking Palace team, you're singling out Alexis when he managed an assist and did OK.

nah man, not to target a specific player but he was bad.
a recently signed player costing 35m is always going to have the spotlight on him.

he assisted fair enough, but that doesn't give him a free pass to do nothing good for the rest of the game.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown

exactly, with the AMs you have, he isn't gonna be played centrally
might occasionally be played as a striker, but with him being so tiny and arguably weak, i wouldn't advise it.

sanchez isn't weak, far from it.
Original post by Peggles_*
He does have a point. At the end of last season we were begging for a new ST and a DM, and we don't have either. All we have done is fill the gaps in the team of the players who have left plus Sanchez, and we now need to get an extra CB.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's almost comical really.

And Wenger tells us that Sanchez can play as a striker to try to placate us on that front, but then he's starting Sanogo, who lets face it:

Original post by Zürich
lacks basically everything you'd expect from a striker

Agree with Zurich about Ox/Cazorla too.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
sanchez isn't weak, far from it.

meh, i suppose i shouldn't generalise after only watching a single game but he certainly didn't demonstrate strength today from what i saw (only from 40 mins +).
nah man, not to target a specific player but he was bad.
a recently signed player costing 35m is always going to have the spotlight on him.

he assisted fair enough, but that doesn't give him a free pass to do nothing good for the rest of the game.

Games when teams park the bus are always like this, always. You're literally either looking for Sanchez to i)smack it top bins from distance or ii)beat 8 men with a dribble. To say he cost big money and hence should unconditionally have dazzled on his debut is complete *******s. How did Hazard look vs Palace last season, Suarez against Chelsea/Palace last season? What about Messi vs Chelsea in 2012?

Nothing good? His work rate was on point, he showed great aggression and his directness was there even if was hard to produce much(beyond an assist) against Palace.
Original post by Zürich
In his debut against a bus parking Palace team, you're singling out Alexis when he managed an assist and did OK. Not sure what you expected from him today, but he looked sharp and we saw glimpses of something very different to what we had last season. He wanted to take people on, unfortunately short of a Maradonna, it's hard to do much against 11 Palace players sitting deep.

He wanted to take people on? Cool it's a shame he never did and lost the ball whenever he tried.

I expect a 35m player to be able to cross a ball and not put it out for a throw in every time he attempts a cross under absolutely no pressure

He didn't look sharp at all what a load of *******s and also what did he offer us that we didn't have last season? We were absolutely awful in the final 3rd today and he played his part in that
meh, i suppose i shouldn't generalise after only watching a single game but he certainly didn't demonstrate strength today from what i saw (only from 40 mins +).

Youve never seen Sanchez before today?

He is very tenacious and up for a scrap, and he did show that today too.
He wanted to take people on? Cool it's a shame he never did and lost the ball whenever he tried.

I expect a 35m player to be able to cross a ball and not put it out for a throw in every time he attempts a cross under absolutely no pressure

He didn't look sharp at all what a load of *******s and also what did he offer us that we didn't have last season? We were absolutely awful in the final 3rd today and he played his part in that

Could you pick a worse game to showcase Alexis' ability than against a bus parking Palace side? His crossing was poor, assist aside, but it's fair to say his crossing is not his strength really.

What will he offer vs last season? A very strong work ethic, energy, directness.

Also worth noting that he was playing with a League 1 striker in Sanogo and a totally out of sorts Cazorla today, and yet you've started a witch hunt. Nice!
Original post by Zürich
Games when teams park the bus are always like this, always. You're literally either looking for Sanchez to i)smack it top bins from distance or ii)beat 8 men with a dribble. To say he cost big money and hence should unconditionally have dazzled on his debut is complete *******s. How did Hazard look vs Palace last season, Suarez against Chelsea/Palace last season? What about Messi vs Chelsea in 2012?

Nothing good? His work rate was on point, he showed great aggression and his directness was there even if was hard to produce much(beyond an assist) against Palace.

To be fair, Chelsea's defence is superior to Palace's, Palace have conceded 6 goals to Liverpool last season, Suarez scoring 2 of them.

so you didn't watch him at the WC or Barca either?

whoever was askin for this;
https://vine.co/v/M3KTpPbibZO
hnggg
Personally, I think the result today was by no means glamorous, but a fair one. We dominated the second half and Crystal Palace didn't really seem threatening at any point in the game for me. I think I caught after the game we had around 78% possession? Says it all. Crystal Palace are a brilliant side defensively and we did find it hard to break them down, but bare in mind we are missing Ozil, Walcott and Giroud didn't come on until late in the second half and Sanogo isn't the type of player who would do any damage when we find ourselves having to break down a bus-parking side. Mind you, neither is Giroud really. But we ground out a result today and that's an essential attribute we need if we are going to challenge this season, so promising in that aspect.

Views on MoM? Chambers or Kos for me, both were solid, apart from Kos on the goal obviously.
Original post by Zürich
Could you pick a worse game to showcase Alexis' ability than against a bus parking Palace side? His crossing was poor, assist aside, but it's fair to say his crossing is not his strength really.

What will he offer vs last season? A very strong work ethic, energy, directness.

Also worth noting that he was playing with a League 1 striker in Sanogo and a totally out of sorts Cazorla today, and yet you've started a witch hunt. Nice!

He's going to face a parked bus more often than not. I've watched him a LOT more than you this is a typical performance from him.

A very strong worth ethic, energy and directness. 35m well spent

Lol@you deflecting his performance on to cazorla and sanogo they were **** as well but that's got nothing to do with what we're talking about

Giroud
Sanchez ozil walcott

Has the potential to be the most inconsistent front 4 In world football
Original post by samir12
To be fair, Chelsea's defence is superior to Palace's, Palace have conceded 6 goals to Liverpool last season, Suarez scoring 2 of them.

Point stands. I could pull up the video of Palace/Chelsea last season and conclude ''that Hazard did nothing against them, yet he cost £35m!!!!''

It's ludicrous analysis, it really is. When teams bus park you score goals like we did today, scrappy ones from deflections etc. Players like this want an open game with space to attack, obviously.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I wouldn't count on it tbh. It'll be something along the lines of "Man united were unlucky today" and as for us something stupid like "They scraped a win through an unconvincing performance with mediocre looking players".

The only thing that matters is the 3 points. We got it, Man United didn't.

Our next premier league game should deliver a smoother performance (hopefully). No denying Everton will be tough opponents but I feel with Mertesacker and Ozil back we'll have a good game and come out with a consecutive win.

EDIT: And it's rarely ever a great game when the opposition comes to park the bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

A very strong worth ethic, energy and directness. 35m well spent

Lol@you deflecting his performance on to cazorla and sanogo they were **** as well but that's got nothing to do with what we're talking about

Giroud
Sanchez ozil walcott

Has the potential to be the most inconsistent front 4 In world football

Well I was pointing out that he offers something quite different to our other attackers, as you demanded to be informed of.

Why are we talking about Alexis at all? There was a 19 year old kid at CB who looked a million bucks and you couldnt care less. Strange...

Latest