The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Star-girl
I feel a bit better now. This thread is a mood-lifter. Thanks you guys. :colondollar:

We try to support each other as much as possible :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 161
So I don't think I've posted here but given I have adjusted to the whole results day drama I feel it's a good time to join in.

I have difficult to handle anxiety issues, particularly social, and I suffer from panic attacks. I suffer depression but it is largely a result of dealing with my anxieties as opposed to something separate. Anxiety appears to run in my family, with my grandmother having it, my mother seeming to but always insisting on brushing it off, and my sister suffering from depression which is potentially anxiety related.

Recently(last month gone) I have become better at dealing with it due to an improved friendship circle and a break from education. However, results went awful - I know the knowledge, really, but did pretty terrible in exams. I honestly thought they'd gone better but I left multiple times throughout exam season due to panic attacks and I can only assume they had an affect. I'm not resitting the year as I got into a university through clearing and while it's not a "top uni" or anything(Edge Hill) I love the look of their biology department and campus, and have visited before. They have good student satisfaction and graduate employment rates too, so I'm excited and not disappointed in where I'm going!(although still upset about not getting what I initially wanted)

But I'm feeling so down about how much of a rollercoaster everything feels. It's hard to not let my mental health impact my life so strongly, and even the smaller details feel so dramatic and get me incredibly worked up. On top of this, I feel guilty whenever it does affect things - I get worried it's going to be viewed as a silly excuse for things that people think are simply my fault.

I don't know why I'm posting this here, but I guess it's good to get things off my chest and ramble a bit. It's a bit of a habit, haha :colondollar:

I haven't read through the thread much yet but apparently I have a good way with words so I'll happily talk to people and provide support and possibly advice etc :smile:
Heyo folks.

My fears are so funny lol. A guy was walking down market street doing kickups with his football and I was trying to pass him but kept retreating when he backtracked because I'm scared having the kick the ball back!
Original post by Odd socks
Thanks :hugs: I don't know whether I'm maybe too picky but very few people are ever interested in me, and the people I like are always taken or not interested :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's hard to find someone that will actually commit fully to a relationship, especially nowadays where breakups and divorces seem like the norm.

In the past it only ever felt like people went out with me because they couldn't say no, and then a month down the line they would have an "oh ****" moment and bail. Then later that year they'd meet someone else and be with them for at least a couple years, if not longer. Made me feel great, as you can imagine.

Exercise is an exception, not the norm for me (I do it sporadically but I am trying to make it regular). Yeah... I can nap like there's no tomorrow and for me it almost always turns into proper sleep.

I think it's important to realise that any exercise is good, 5 minutes, 10, an hour. It's not an all or nothing, go hard or go home situation. It's your health, take it at your pace, anyone that says otherwise can eat a bag of dicks.

Even if you only get out for those 5 mins, it's much easier to build on it once you've got started. Going from doing nothing to doing lots all at once takes a lot of effort and motivation.

I'm guilty of the same, i say "oh just one hour", but once you nap for more than about 20 minutes you can start falling into deep sleep (iirc), and waking yourself up from that makes you feel rotten :\ A routine takes practice to get into properly, need to give your body and mind time to adjust. :hugs:
Did you enjoy it? :smile: Thanks.

I am feeling mixed. On the other hand I feel really good because it was sunny and I was proud of myself for getting out of bed and doing a workout... but on the other hand I feel terrible because it's the only thing I did today. There's so much I want to do and then I just... don't. I could be so much better at things if I actually did them. :cry:

:hugs: It's totally fine that you just did a workout! It's more than me, I did nothing and am totally fine with that. I know what you mean though, I feel like I waste my days too. :sadnod: I'm sure if you really thought about it, you achieve a lot more than you might first think :smile:
Run
We try to support each other as much as possible :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really like this thread. :biggrin:

Original post by Meaty_man

I think it's important to realise that any exercise is good, 5 minutes, 10, an hour. It's not an all or nothing, go hard or go home situation. It's your health, take it at your pace, anyone that says otherwise can eat a bag of dicks.

Even if you only get out for those 5 mins, it's much easier to build on it once you've got started. Going from doing nothing to doing lots all at once takes a lot of effort and motivation.

I'm guilty of the same, i say "oh just one hour", but once you nap for more than about 20 minutes you can start falling into deep sleep (iirc), and waking yourself up from that makes you feel rotten :\ A routine takes practice to get into properly, need to give your body and mind time to adjust. :hugs:

Yeah. I'll try and do another one tomorrow. Consistency is the key. :smile:

I get the overwhelming urge to sleep in the late morning/early afternoon and my naps usually last 3-4 hours instead of the original 45mins. I set alarms and then postpone it. I remember the day I napped for 7.5 hours. :facepalm: I felt so rotten, missed dinner, was really hungry and my lack of forward planning meant that I had no food. Just lay there in my bed angry at myself and ravenous for hours and I couldn't do my work... -.-

Original post by ScaryScience
:hugs: It's totally fine that you just did a workout! It's more than me, I did nothing and am totally fine with that. I know what you mean though, I feel like I waste my days too. :sadnod: I'm sure if you really thought about it, you achieve a lot more than you might first think :smile:

I have the bad habit of once something goes wrong, I focus on that and everything good fades away and I am left cursing myself for all the things I did wrong, not seeing the things I did right. :s
Runrig and crochet.... :smile:
Original post by Thom4to
So I don't think I've posted here but given I have adjusted to the whole results day drama I feel it's a good time to join in.

I have difficult to handle anxiety issues, particularly social, and I suffer from panic attacks. I suffer depression but it is largely a result of dealing with my anxieties as opposed to something separate. Anxiety appears to run in my family, with my grandmother having it, my mother seeming to but always insisting on brushing it off, and my sister suffering from depression which is potentially anxiety related.

Recently(last month gone) I have become better at dealing with it due to an improved friendship circle and a break from education. However, results went awful - I know the knowledge, really, but did pretty terrible in exams. I honestly thought they'd gone better but I left multiple times throughout exam season due to panic attacks and I can only assume they had an affect. I'm not resitting the year as I got into a university through clearing and while it's not a "top uni" or anything(Edge Hill) I love the look of their biology department and campus, and have visited before. They have good student satisfaction and graduate employment rates too, so I'm excited and not disappointed in where I'm going!(although still upset about not getting what I initially wanted)

But I'm feeling so down about how much of a rollercoaster everything feels. It's hard to not let my mental health impact my life so strongly, and even the smaller details feel so dramatic and get me incredibly worked up. On top of this, I feel guilty whenever it does affect things - I get worried it's going to be viewed as a silly excuse for things that people think are simply my fault.

I don't know why I'm posting this here, but I guess it's good to get things off my chest and ramble a bit. It's a bit of a habit, haha :colondollar:

I haven't read through the thread much yet but apparently I have a good way with words so I'll happily talk to people and provide support and possibly advice etc :smile:

It's good that you are noticing what they are, i had panic attacks throughout school and had no idea what was going on.

Since you sound like you're in a relatively good place mentally, you could ask your GP about counseling and therapy. You tend to soak it up a lot better when you can think straight. I would deal with it sooner rather than later, as these things have a habit of only getting worse with time when left unchecked.

One thing i will say is if you do decide to do some kind of therapy/counseling, you need to work on it. You can't just go to the sessions, come back home and expect everything to fix itself, you need to actively apply what you learn to your lifestyle.

Meds are great and all, but honestly if you can manage without them, do so.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tasha96
Runrig and crochet.... :smile:

love runrig
I really like this thread. :biggrin:

Yeah. I'll try and do another one tomorrow. Consistency is the key. :smile:

I get the overwhelming urge to sleep in the late morning/early afternoon and my naps usually last 3-4 hours instead of the original 45mins. I set alarms and then postpone it. I remember the day I napped for 7.5 hours. :facepalm: I felt so rotten, missed dinner, was really hungry and my lack of forward planning meant that I had no food. Just lay there in my bed angry at myself and ravenous for hours and I couldn't do my work... -.-

I have the bad habit of once something goes wrong, I focus on that and everything good fades away and I am left cursing myself for all the things I did wrong, not seeing the things I did right. :s

Yeah, that's extremely hard and difficult to break, unfortunately. It can help to list three positives of the end of each day. Mindfulness is good for that too.
Reply 171
It's good that you are noticing what they are, i had panic attacks throughout school and had no idea what was going on.

Since you sound like you're in a relatively good place mentally, you could ask your GP about counseling and therapy. You tend to soak it up a lot better when you can think straight. I would deal with it sooner rather than later, as these things have a habit of only getting worse with time when left unchecked.

One thing i will say is if you do decide to do some kind of therapy/counseling, you need to work on it. You can't just go to the sessions, come back home and expect everything to fix itself, you need to actively apply what you learn to your lifestyle.

Meds are great and all, but honestly if you can manage without them, do so.

The first time I had a panic attack I had no idea what it was and was in an AS exam. The second time my mum took me to A and E because she didn't know either :s Then I went on meds for a while but wasn't comfortable with it and didn't stick to it. Until recently I've not been comfortable with the idea of counselling either, but seeing as I've been a little better recently I think it's a great idea to reconsider :smile: It's just motivating myself to stick to it.
Yeah, that's extremely hard and difficult to break, unfortunately. It can help to list three positives of the end of each day. Mindfulness is good for that too.

I've been doing that and it's been really helping. It is a habit reinforced over years and so I still find myself doing it. I will keep trying to break it, though - I definitely don't want to live this way forever. :no:
I think it's hard to find someone that will actually commit fully to a relationship, especially nowadays where breakups and divorces seem like the norm.

In the past it only ever felt like people went out with me because they couldn't say no, and then a month down the line they would have an "oh ****" moment and bail. Then later that year they'd meet someone else and be with them for at least a couple years, if not longer. Made me feel great, as you can imagine.

I just know that in my case there are reasons why relationships don't work. They say it's not an issue but then they get fed up with it and dump me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been doing that and it's been really helping. It is a habit reinforced over years and so I still find myself doing it. I will keep trying to break it, though - I definitely don't want to live this way forever. :no:

I know what you mean... I've been following ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) for a few months now and one of the key strategies of that is to question whether a thought is helpful to you or causing you to live a more valuable life. If not, then you should not dwell on the thought and let it pass. ie if you think 'I have done nothing and wasted my day, I'm so useless', that clearly isn't helpful, and so you can then recognise this and let it pass using other strategies. Sorry that probably makes no sense, head is very foggy right now. But it might be something to look into if you want to challenge negative thoughts.
Life is not letting me sleep this week. I feel like there's constantly something wrong that stops me sleeping :frown:
I know what you mean... I've been following ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) for a few months now and one of the key strategies of that is to question whether a thought is helpful to you or causing you to live a more valuable life. If not, then you should not dwell on the thought and let it pass. ie if you think 'I have done nothing and wasted my day, I'm so useless', that clearly isn't helpful, and so you can then recognise this and let it pass using other strategies. Sorry that probably makes no sense, head is very foggy right now. But it might be something to look into if you want to challenge negative thoughts.

I will definitely look into that. I had some counselling but not much which focussed on breaking down such thoughts but I didn't have much. I want to also look at ways I can help myself. I'm going to try the moodgym that was linked in the OP. It does make sense.
Original post by Thom4to
The first time I had a panic attack I had no idea what it was and was in an AS exam. The second time my mum took me to A and E because she didn't know either :s Then I went on meds for a while but wasn't comfortable with it and didn't stick to it. Until recently I've not been comfortable with the idea of counselling either, but seeing as I've been a little better recently I think it's a great idea to reconsider :smile: It's just motivating myself to stick to it.

I say give it a full month or two, assuming the sessions are like once a week, which i think is pretty normal. You have nothing to lose from trying it, and a lot to gain :smile: It doesn't work for everyone, but i think everyone can get something from it, even if its small things.

I just know that in my case there are reasons why relationships don't work. They say it's not an issue but then they get fed up with it and dump me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been dumped through finding out they've slept with someone, or just being blanked entirely, along with some being a bit nicer about it. Eh. I guess if it was easy it wouldn't be worth it, or something.

I still don't get why you have so much trouble, a lot of things don't make much sense to me when it comes to relationships.
just spent £30 on Disney DVDs... that's allowed, right? self care and all that?
i feel awful. everything hurts, I feel so lonely, and the constant nausea is back. not sure if lustral misbehaving, or this is what hunger feels like?

Latest