The Student Room Group

Medicine

I need some advice
I wanna study medicine. I managed to get low grades at A2 this year... BCD in bio, chem and maths respectively... So far I've had university of Westminister and Kingston university offer me a place in their biomedical science degree.
Idk what to do... should I accept these and then go into graduate entry medicine.. or take a year out and retake exams then try getting into a better university for biomedical science. ( queens mary will take me if I do better in my retakes next year...ABB)

Scroll to see replies

Graduate-entry is horribly competitive. I would always try to get in as an A-level student if you can. That said, it's my understanding that many medical schools do not accept re-sits?

There are lots of people on TSR who know more about this than I do. Personally I think it might have been a good idea to go with a more specific thread title to attract them.
You might also want to reflect on why your grades were so low and whether medicine really is the right course for you. I don't mean to sound harsh but medicine is very academically demanding course and career.
Original post by Priya777
I need some advice
I wanna study medicine. I managed to get low grades at A2 this year... BCD in bio, chem and maths respectively... So far I've had university of Westminister and Kingston university offer me a place in their biomedical science degree.
Idk what to do... should I accept these and then go into graduate entry medicine.. or take a year out and retake exams then try getting into a better university for biomedical science. ( queens mary will take me if I do better in my retakes next year...ABB)

The university you go to doesn't make a difference for graduate entry medicine - there are people on my course who went to unis way down in the league tables and they still got in. It's much more important to be able to get a 2:1/1st and nail the UKCAT or GAMSAT (in addition to the usual entry requirements about work experience etc).

Personally I'd go with the offers you already have - Kingston is a pretty decent uni anyway afaik, though Westminster has a better location imo :biggrin:

Original post by WednesdayAddams
You might also want to reflect on why your grades were so low and whether medicine really is the right course for you. I don't mean to sound harsh but medicine is very academically demanding course and career.

It's not as simple as that - A levels have nothing to do with what's taught at med school. Chemistry A level in particular, what a load of *******s...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
The university you go to doesn't make a difference for graduate entry medicine - there are people on my course who went to unis way down in the league tables and they still got in. It's much more important to be able to get a 2:1/1st and nail the UKCAT or GAMSAT (in addition to the usual entry requirements about work experience etc).

Personally I'd go with the offers you already have - Kingston is a pretty decent uni anyway afaik, though Westminster has a better location imo :biggrin:

It's fine - A levels have nothing to do with what's taught at med school anyway. Chemistry A level in particular, what a load of *******s...

I agree with you. The point I was trying to make was if you weren't academically capable (or not applied enough) to do well at secondary school you're really going to struggle with a degree like medicine.
Reply 5

Graduate-entry is horribly competitive. I would always try to get in as an A-level student if you can. That said, it's my understanding that many medical schools do not accept re-sits?

There are lots of people on TSR who know more about this than I do. Personally I think it might have been a good idea to go with a more specific thread title to attract them.

Thankyou for your reply! I really dont know why my grades were this low, i just think i didnt perfect everything before my exams. I couldnt believe my result so i have sent my papers to be remarked.
And yes, they don't accept re-sits :frown: . Re-sitting will only get me into a better university to graduate from. I understand, i made a thread now :3
I agree with you. The point I was trying to make was if you weren't academically capable (or not applied enough) to do well at secondary school you're really going to struggle with a degree like medicine.

Well if she does a BSc and manages to do well in it, I'd argue that she's more than capable of handling a medical degree...so I think telling her that medicine might not be the right career choice simply on the basis of her A level grades is a bit premature. A levels are merely one form of qualification, they're not indicative of all round aptitude and general intelligence or suitability to be a doctor.
Reply 7

It's not as simple as that - A levels have nothing to do with what's taught at med school. Chemistry A level in particular, what a load of *******s...

U made me now feel a ton load better now! Thankyou! Did ur friends have similar a levels to mine? I see, I'll just have to work extremely hard to get a 1st!
I see, I dont really care about the social aspects of university tbh. I just want the best university for my course, the one that has good resources, good teaching standards etc. In those aspects, is kingston still better?
Well if she does a BSc and manages to do well in it, I'd argue that she's more than capable of handling a medical degree...so I think telling her that medicine might not be the right career choice simply on the basis of her A level grades is a bit premature. A levels are merely one form of qualification, they're not indicative of all round aptitude and general intelligence or suitability to be a doctor.

I didn't tell her it might be the wrong course for her I simply suggested she consider it, as would an admissions tutor. When I applied I lost count of the number of times I was told to consider if it was the right choice, and I got AAA. Again, I do actually agree with most of what you are saying, but I think far too many people think they desperately want to do medicine without really appreciating what is involved.
Reply 9
I'm doing biomedical science this year but I've heard there are no job opportunities in this. I'm looking to go into the combined bio med/medicine degree after proving myself this year they said on HND as I was off by 10 points for degree level right away.. Seriously taking a risk I feel as it all may not happen that way and I could be stuck with biomedical degree and no job
U made me now feel a ton load better now! Thankyou! Did ur friends have similar a levels to mine? I see, I'll just have to work extremely hard to get a 1st!
I see, I dont really care about the social aspects of university tbh. I just want the best university for my course, the one that has good resources, good teaching standards etc. In those aspects, is kingston still better?

Yeah I know people who got into graduate entry medicine with grades similar to yours or lower. It depends on the graduate entry course - some will still have a high A level entry requirement, others will have lower requirements or no requirement at all i.e. they'll only look at your degree classification. If/when you decide to apply for graduate entry medicine, you'd need to apply carefully to those universities which would accept your A level grades.

You should care about the social aspect - you'll be there for three years and you know what they say about all work and no play making Jack a dull boy :wink:

I didn't go to Kingston or Westminster, so I don't have any specific knowledge about either of them. I'm guessing that the standard of teaching etc will probably be the same in both unis, though Kingston has a better general reputation afaik. But that doesn't matter for graduate entry medicine - they won't accept or reject you based on the university you went to.
Thankyou for your reply! I really dont know why my grades were this low, i just think i didnt perfect everything before my exams. I couldnt believe my result so i have sent my papers to be remarked.
And yes, they don't accept re-sits :frown: . Re-sitting will only get me into a better university to graduate from. I understand, i made a thread now :3

I want to make it clear that I'm absolutely not saying I think you're not suitable for medicine, I just thought you needed to consider your position. You don't want to end up doing a degree you despise (I have, it was torture, though it got me where I am now).

I applied this year. I got rejected from both of the GEM courses I chose (Cambridge and Imperial - in hindsight I should not have chosen two such competitive universities) and I got offers from both of the undergraduate courses I applied to (Leeds and Sheffield - I chose Leeds). I'm obviously very happy to have got in but the undergraduate courses are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive to fund than the graduate ones. Like I said, GEM is horribly competitive, but don't let that put you off if it's really want you want.
I didn't tell her it might be the wrong course for her I simply suggested she consider it, as would an admissions tutor. When I applied I lost count of the number of times I was told to consider if it was the right choice, and I got AAA. Again, I do actually agree with most of what you are saying, but I think far too many people think they desperately want to do medicine without really appreciating what is involved.

Fair enough, I understand where you're coming from :smile:
Reply 13
Yeah I know people who got into graduate entry medicine with grades similar to yours or lower. It depends on the graduate entry course - some will still have a high A level entry requirement, others will have lower requirements or no requirement at all i.e. they'll only look at your degree classification. If/when you decide to apply for graduate entry medicine, you'd need to apply carefully to those universities which would accept your A level grades.

You should care about the social aspect - you'll be there for three years and you know what they say about all work and no play making Jack a dull boy :wink:

I didn't go to Kingston or Westminster, so I don't have any specific knowledge about either of them. I'm guessing that the standard of teaching etc will probably be the same in both unis, though Kingston has a better general reputation afaik. But that doesn't matter for graduate entry medicine - they won't accept or reject you based on the university you went to.

Ahh thats actually a bit relieving to hear!
hahaha XD that actually made me laugh XD Havent laughed in a few days now XD
Ahh okai, yaay thats relieving to hear again! I'm leaning towards Westminster only due to the fact that its easier for me to reach there. ( I can actually take a bus from my house to get there XD) I just felt that i was leaning towards it for all the wrong reasons :P
Reply 14
I want to make it clear that I'm absolutely not saying I think you're not suitable for medicine, I just thought you needed to consider your position. You don't want to end up doing a degree you despise (I have, it was torture, though it got me where I am now).

I applied this year. I got rejected from both of the GEM courses I chose (Cambridge and Imperial - in hindsight I should not have chosen two such competitive universities) and I got offers from both of the undergraduate courses I applied to (Leeds and Sheffield - I chose Leeds). I'm obviously very happy to have got in but the undergraduate courses are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive to fund than the graduate ones. Like I said, GEM is horribly competitive, but don't let that put you off if it's really want you want.

Yup! I understand, and thanks for being so honest with me :smile: And u are right, i should consider my position. Congrats for getting in! I wish you the best of luck! And i see, I'm just hoping my passion for medicine gets me into GEM in the future. I will work extremely hard in biomed.
Ahh yh, the funding is one of my other concerns. How are you going about it? I heard NHS have a few grants, havent researched this much if im honest.
Reply 15
I need some advice

Do biomed and apply for GEM course! I have to warn you though you need to work very hard!!! I'm applying for GEM (2016 entry) and I've already started my work experience (working as a carer) at the moment I'm hoping to apply for a HCA job after six months. On top of that I'm aiming for a first and preparation for the GAMSAT has also already begun! Work work hard!!! I Need to WANT this, if not you will really struggle!!!

Don't worry about your A2 grades I got C and D in biology and chemistry respectively at A levels but really the degree is a change. I ended up getting a firsts in Cell Biology, Human Anatomy and pyhsiology and Biochemistry (these are all science based modules btw). So to sim up you really have to want this! 2. Work hard starting from Day 1! And want it some more. I keep saying this coz that's how I get motivated.
I'm at Westminster uni too 😁😁
Judging by your grades you don't belong in medicine. Do another degree.

What's different about the Chemistry we use in the medical degree? I start my course in October so I'm intrigued to know what kind of things were left out of the A-Level :smile:
Reply 18
Apply again and retake with pharmacy/optom/biomedical as an option
If you want to get into a GEP the most important thing will be how well you do in your first degree. Have a really good look at the teaching, course design, facilities and student satisfaction ratings & percentage of firsts to decide if you need to resit to get into a course at a different uni. Also consider that the more you like the course the more likely you are to do better on it, and different unis can have very different courses for a degree in a subject with the same name; choose one that interests you. Also, don't underestimate the impact that atmosphere can have on your ability to do well at uni, if the place is unfriendly and you are miserable your grades will reflect that.
All of these things can be more important to your success than the position of the uni on a league table, but that's not to say that some unis aren't ahead of others because they deserve to be.

Doing medicine as a graduate can be a slog and you will have to prepare yourself for the possibility of repeat applications (two of my friends got in on their 2nd and 3rd tries, one with a 1st class in bio, one with 2.1 in english). It can be done if you are driven enough!

Also, have you considered doing a degree like radiography? It is 3 years, and probably good prep for medicine (although I would check with unis if its ok) - some GEPs aren't fussy about subject anyway (e.g. nottingham) - and if you still don't get into medicine, it is a good career with a similar job to some doctors anyway. Just food for thought :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending