The Student Room Group

Higher maths trig cast question

I was doing some revision homework and i came across these trig 'cast diagram' questions:

4sin(x+20)=1

5cos(x-15)+1=0

2sin(x+35)= 1.2

and I managed to get answers for them like the remainder of the page...but these have very strange answers at the back.

I would appreciate if someone could solve them so i can see whether i got something similar.

Thanks a bunch!!! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Wolfram Alpha is definitely your friend for things like this.
Original post by tinababy
I was doing some revision homework and i came across these trig 'cast diagram' questions:

4sin(x+20)=1

5cos(x-15)+1=0

2sin(x+35)= 1.2

and I managed to get answers for them like the remainder of the page...but these have very strange (i think they're just plain wrong) answers at the back.

I would appreciate if someone could solve them so i can see whether i got something similar.

Thanks a bunch!!! :biggrin:

Would you be able to post a picture of the actual original questions?
Original post by greenladybird

This is it.
Thanks!

This is it. The last three .... h, i, j.
Thanks
This is it.
Thanks!

Just doing it quickly,
h) x = 145.5
i) x = 116.5, x = 273.5
j) x = 108.1, x = 1.9

That's what I got, what are the answers in the book?
Just doing it quickly,
h) x = 145.5
i) x = 116.5, x = 273.5
j) x = 108.1, x = 1.9

That's what I got, what are the answers in the book?

That's it! For h) is it also 354.5?
But I'm not sure where I am going so spectacularly wrong though. Would it too much of a hassle if I asked you how to did it? :colondollar:

Thanks a lot!
That's it! For h) is it also 354.5?
But I'm not sure where I am going so spectacularly wrong though. Would it too much of a hassle if I asked you how to did it? :colondollar:

Thanks a lot!

For h I think there must be only one solution, the other value for 'x' is less than 0.
I'll try uploading a picture for my working once I've written it out, i'll either post it tonight or tomorrow for you :smile:
Do you want to post your own working, it could just be an error in your working perhaps?

Edit;
Here's the working for h) :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
For h I think there must be only one solution, the other value for 'x' is less than 0.
I'll try uploading a picture for my working once I've written it out, i'll either post it tonight or tomorrow for you :smile:
Do you want to post your own working, it could just be an error in your working perhaps?

Edit;
Here's the working for h) :smile:

Thank you very much, I get it now! I got up to -5.5 but then I messed it up. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending